Interesting article about 99 million year old lice

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Interesting. I once read an article stating that the reason invertebrates were so big in prehistoric times (dragonflies with 28" wingspans, etc.) was due to the atmosphere having a higher oxygen content than it has now.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Interesting. I once read an article stating that the reason invertebrates were so big in prehistoric times (dragonflies with 28" wingspans, etc.) was due to the atmosphere having a higher oxygen content than it has now.
Second this. I too have heard the same theory.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I bumped across several articles a while back that were essentially 'if you can't find intact animal tissues, find their parasites which will have evolved in accordance with them' The parasites being much hardier and more numerous than the hosts.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
This is really interesting! I would have expected lice to evolve well after the K/T boundary, but here they are. I wonder if they jumped from mammals to dinosaurs or vice versa. I'm going to try to find a date for the separation that relies on DNA

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I would have expected lice to evolve well after the K/T boundary, but here they are. I wonder if they jumped from mammals to dinosaurs or vice versa.
Since lice aren't obligatory parasites like fleas or mosquitoes, the K-T doesn't seem to present an insurmountable barrier.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My mother in law used to tell stories about how she used to watch these lice get trapped in the amber when she was a little girl.