Interested in scorpions!!! Have questions

Newtot

Arachnosquire
So I'm interested in keeping scorpions. I have 9 tarantulas. I keep them at room temp in my bedroom. I'm planning on eventually closing a porch in for a room. Anyways do scorpions have to have heat mats or can they to he kept at room temp?

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
Depends on what your room temperature is and what species you plan on keeping. While there are a few species that come from more temperate climates and prefer low 70s, unfortunately many of them come from tropical forests or deserts and need a bit of heat to do well. I see you're in Georgia so it's probably a lot easier for you to keep a room on the warmer side than it is for people living further north.

Newtot

Arachnosquire
Yeah my room probably dips down at night to low 70s. So idk I don't have the best outlets but I maybe able to do heat tape on a shelf. Hmmmm

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What species are you interested in getting? That could help with figuring out whether they'd need supplemental heat or not.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
It depends on the species what type of heating to use. Desert species like it hot and dry while forest species like it humid. Anything in between can be at room temp maybe with a heat mat on one side of the enclosure (but not under it).

Newtot

Arachnosquire
Well the ones that are most available around me are labeled dictator and Asian Forrest. I know pet stores are not reliable at identification lol

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
i noticed nobody pointed this out either - If youre in Georgia or I’d watch the humidity in your room as well. I’m from California and ik when i visited my cousins in Georgia n the surrounding areas I’d be dying since it was so humid And it was very uncomfortable lol so I’m just imagining that on a much much smaller scale for a desert scorpion. Just in case anybody else stumbles across this thread ik general humidity in the state isn’t something i see many people pointing out often

Newtot

Arachnosquire
My house stays round 50% humidity maybe a lil lower. If you came to ga in the summer and had never been LMAO it gets crazy lol but I was born here. So I'm used to it

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
i noticed nobody pointed this out either - If youre in Georgia or I’d watch the humidity in your room as well. I’m from California and ik when i visited my cousins in Georgia n the surrounding areas I’d be dying since it was so humid And it was very uncomfortable lol so I’m just imagining that on a much much smaller scale for a desert scorpion. Just in case anybody else stumbles across this thread ik general humidity in the state isn’t something i see many people pointing out often
Care sheets and humidity gauges/hygro-meters always refer to relative humidity. Relative humidity means that the humidity is depends on air pressure and temperature.
The air pressure is the same inside and outside the enclosure, so let's forget about that. Air temperature inside the enclosure is higher than ambient during daytime.
General rule of thumb: if the air temperature is raised by 10°C the relative humidity will be halved (that's in theory).
A practical example is my living room that has is at 21°C and has a relative humidity of 55% but inside my desert scorpion enclosures the temperature is about 32°C during daytime,
and if i don't add water (spray or fill water cups) the relative humidity will drop below 30% the next day and keeps dropping in the following days.
I don't live in Georgia but i do know that if you heat the enclosure just a few degrees above ambient, the humidity shouldn't be a problem.

In any case if you forget about desert species but decide to go for Heterometrus sp(AFS) or Pandinus sp(Emp) the humidity shouldn't be a problem,
most keepers of these species need to water/spray the enclosure daily to keep relative humidity up to the desired level.

Nikki666

Arachnopeon
So I'm interested in keeping scorpions. I have 9 tarantulas. I keep them at room temp in my bedroom. I'm planning on eventually closing a porch in for a room. Anyways do scorpions have to have heat mats or can they to he kept at room temp?
We have 29 scorpions and always have kept them at room temp and they are just fine.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
We have 4 haruris Arizonesis aka desert hairy scorpions and 25 bark scorpions
I have a few Hadrurus arizonensis but no Centruroides sculpturatus at the present time. I'd love to have a colony of them.

@Newtot you don't need to chase humidity numbers. As long as the substrate is moist and you have enough of the ventilation restricted while still providing sufficient airflow to prevent stagnation you will be fine for humidify.

Temps should be in the higher 70s to low 80s for optimum health for Hererometrus spp.

YessirrrrDuff

Arachnopeon
New to the forum, I’ve already went through stage one of owning an emperor and now I’m into my hairy’s. I bought three of them and they cohabit with four feigning beetles. Everyday I learn something new about the behavior of both, I’ve done tons of research before buying but experience is always the best teacher. I’m just making sure I have it all right and normal. One of my scorpions seems to like chilling on the surface more than the others. I haven’t seen two in a couple days. They borrowed their own tunnel that I can’t see far into. Over the last few days this is where all the beetles and I assume the two scorpions live. I don’t know their status but tonight threebeetles and one scorpion is on the surface. I’ve read that this burrowing behavior is normal but I’m also paranoid about a moult coming along because I made it a point to buy juveniles For long term ownership. I didn’t know if the juvenile issue until recently. I know only time will tell but I still need some assurance with my setup. One thing I know I have to do butter is a deeper so straight, I didn’t realize they burrows so extensively. I’ll enjoy any feedback. Just hoping to make the team!

Attachments

YessirrrrDuff

Arachnopeon
New to the forum, I’ve already went through stage one of owning an emperor and now I’m into my hairy’s. I bought three of them and they cohabit with four feigning beetles. Everyday I learn something new about the behavior of both, I’ve done tons of research before buying but experience is always the best teacher. I’m just making sure I have it all right and normal. One of my scorpions seems to like chilling on the surface more than the others. I haven’t seen two in a couple days. They borrowed their own tunnel that I can’t see far into. Over the last few days this is where all the beetles and I assume the two scorpions live. I don’t know their status but tonight threebeetles and one scorpion is on the surface. I’ve read that this burrowing behavior is normal but I’m also paranoid about a moult coming along because I made it a point to buy juveniles For long term ownership. I didn’t know if the juvenile issue until recently. I know only time will tell but I still need some assurance with my setup. One thing I know I have to do butter is a deeper so straight, I didn’t realize they burrows so extensively. I’ll enjoy any feedback. Just hoping to make the team!

Attachments

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord

with juvenile desert hairies molting can be an issue. Before they molt, provide them with a water bowl they can submerge their whole head into. They need plenty of hydration. And yes, they are known to bulldoze their enclosure!
Unfortunately the video didn't work.