Interested in Ivory Millipedes. Many Questions!

NyteChimera

Arachnopeon
Hi, hi! I have a few questions for millipedes! My interest so far is to have Ivory Millipedes because they seem to be more surface-active and such. I was wondering about temperatures as I am planning to use a plastic tub to house these cuties in when I get them. The temperatures in the house get around 63 at the lowest. So, I was wondering if I need to get a heating mat for these guys? Also, if these millipedes do start to breed what is the best course of action for their substrate and changing it? I heard you had to have these guys changed out of their old substrate every 6 months or so. Just wanna gather the supplies up before I decide to get them.

jacob m greenwood

Arachnopeon
You don't need to heat them i keep Narceus americanus the "pink foot millipede" which are also from america like the ivory's and i don't heat them and mine have bred. regarding substrate changes you should do it when the majority of sub has been replaced with fecal pellets. The contents of my substrate is coco fibre mixed with leaf litter and soft wood(that is white or a pale yellow) like oak. woods you want to avoid are dark and deep yellows due to them not being to eat it also pine is poisonous to most inverts. i also add a bit of organic soft fruits to the sub every now and then. when replacing the sub don't throw it out in case any babies or eggs are still in there just keep it in a separate container.

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
Ivories are a great choice! Mine appreciate things to climb on.

I wouldn't let their enclosure get below 69F or above 80F (unless they had deep layer of substrate). I've had deaths at both ends.
Substrate changes will depend on your enclosure size and number of millipedes. I like to add fresh substrate on top of the old one, when the surface starts to get covered in frass. I do this until it gets too tall then I do an 80% change.

If you want to see if you get any (or want to save babies), you can leave old soil in a garbage bag, bucket, or a bin with a lid for a while and babies may appear. I was using the old substrate for my plants, roaches, and isopods, and I get new babies here and there.
Some people like to separate out eggs, but I'm not skilled enough to tell an egg apart from a poo!
Otherwise, you should heat or freeze the old stuff before you toss it, so you don't release non-native inverts into the environment.

SeaNettle

Arachnopeon
Hi, hi! I have a few questions for millipedes! My interest so far is to have Ivory Millipedes because they seem to be more surface-active and such. I was wondering about temperatures as I am planning to use a plastic tub to house these cuties in when I get them. The temperatures in the house get around 63 at the lowest. So, I was wondering if I need to get a heating mat for these guys? Also, if these millipedes do start to breed what is the best course of action for their substrate and changing it? I heard you had to have these guys changed out of their old substrate every 6 months or so. Just wanna gather the supplies up before I decide to get them.
Do you know what size plastic bin you intend to keep them in? Or how many you intend to keep?

NyteChimera

Arachnopeon
Aaah! Lets see here. 47cm x 37.8cm x 28.3 cm. Hmm... I kinda want a colony of 8 if possible. And I will try to sell the rest of the babies to people in my area or outside of it. Gonna end up starting with a pair.

NyteChimera

Arachnopeon
UPDATE: Hullo! After much hyperfocusing and researching, I decided I would get a hermit crab heat mat with additional therometer to help with the milipedes. Its worth a try! Still haven't got my pedelings!

SeaNettle

Arachnopeon
Aaah! Lets see here. 47cm x 37.8cm x 28.3 cm. Hmm... I kinda want a colony of 8 if possible. And I will try to sell the rest of the babies to people in my area or outside of it. Gonna end up starting with a pair.
You will have enough space. I started with a 6L shoebox. The only thing I can say here is if you intend to have them reproduce, you might want to get more than two as there's no guarantee you'll get a male and a female. In my ivory tank, I have seven females, and one male and the male is immature (I just happened to get unlucky).

davehuth

Arachnoknight
Good luck on your new millipede adventure! If you haven't come across this caution in your reading yet: make sure you don;t place the heat mat underneath the enclosure. It's better on the side. When millipedes get uncomfortably warm, they burrow downward – which would make them more hot if the mat were underneath. This can be harmful or fatal if they are trying to thermoregulate.

NyteChimera

Arachnopeon
I see! Also. I heard that heat mats can be radioactive to millipedes? I don't think I will be able to get a space heater and I heard that is also a potential fire hazard so what do? >_>

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
I see! Also. I heard that heat mats can be radioactive to millipedes? I
I have never heard that before. Where did you see that?

Also, be sure to get a thermostat for whichever heating method you use, so you don't overheat your millis or melt your bin.

NyteChimera

Arachnopeon
Was scouring the forums. Came up on the main caresheet thread for the millipedes. Hmmm. I was thinking I could put a buffer zone between the millipedes and the heat mat. But yes I do have a thermometer.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I agree with @BepopCola and @davehuth. While C. spinigerus and N. americanus are both from the US, they can come from vastly different microclimates and I know for sure Ivories do not do well below 70-72F, as already stated.

Never heard of that and seriously doubt the heat pads would be creating radiation to the point where they could harm the millipedes. Actually I don't think they produce any radiation at all, as they don't have radioactive elements in them to my knowledge.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

NyteChimera

Arachnopeon
Aaaah! Thank you for all the replies. :3 I just wanna make sure my ivories will be fine. So I am just worrying for proper heating and housing for them. But all this information is extra helpful.

SeaNettle

Arachnopeon
Aaaah! Thank you for all the replies. :3 I just wanna make sure my ivories will be fine. So I am just worrying for proper heating and housing for them. But all this information is extra helpful.
I just wanted to check in with you and see if you've pulled the trigger on those ivories. I'm sure all of us on the boards want newer hobbyists to succeed.

NyteChimera

Arachnopeon
Its just hard to find a good source for some decently priced ivories for a breeding group. I really would like to keep some but I am also considering Dairy Cow isopods or Scarlet Millipedes. I prefer to keep something that is very surface active. :3 But the tank setup is going alright.

SeaNettle

Arachnopeon
Its just hard to find a good source for some decently priced ivories for a breeding group. I really would like to keep some but I am also considering Dairy Cow isopods or Scarlet Millipedes. I prefer to keep something that is very surface active. :3 But the tank setup is going alright.
I haven't kept isopods before though recently I've been looking into them as I think so of the Cubaris sp. are pretty impressive looking though I can't weigh in on them.
Scarlet millipedes are pretty easy to keep my only complaint with them is they are absolute masters of escape if there's any way for them to they will. They're not particularly active during the day. Not at all like ivories.

Though if you need help finding ivories, I know a lot of great people as I spent way to much time scouting out different color morphs, or even if you need help with the scarlets for that matter, shoot me a message, I'd be happy to help.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Where in California are you? I may be able to direct you to some locals with those species depending on where you are.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

NyteChimera

Arachnopeon
Aww man. Thats alright. It seems like people are sold out of Ivories which sucks. Might have to put them on the back burner. For now I might consider Isopods.