Interested in Breeding A. geniculata

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a female A. geniculata that I might be interested in breeding her. However, I have never bred tarantulas before.

Is it easy or difficult to breed this species. Or should I start off with something else. Of course, the geniculata is the only t in my collection that is of age.

Tips?

Jon

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
i've a male that isn't mature yet, but will be soon (i think). i'd be interested in loaning him out to you so long as you throw a couple of slings my way.

about mating, i am completely clueless. i suppose the old "put the male in the females tank and keep something handy to separate them with if it gets ugly" is always a good generic answer...

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by krystal
i've a male that isn't mature yet, but will be soon (i think). i'd be interested in loaning him out to you so long as you throw a couple of slings my way.

about mating, i am completely clueless. i suppose the old "put the male in the females tank and keep something handy to separate them with if it gets ugly" is always a good generic answer...
Thanks.

How exactly can you tell if a female is mature or not? Do you have to wait for her to make an egg sac or is there something else that would cue you to the fact that she is ready to reproduce?

I guess I need the Tarantula Keepers Guide.

Is there a book better than this one?

Jon

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
let's see, after consulting my 1998 version of the tarantula keeper's guide, i only found one way of figuring out if you have a mature female. and i quote from page 196 : "the last and very surest way to recognize a female is when she is carrying an eggsac, or has an older one still in her cage or burrow. if it lays eggs, by definition, it's a female!"

which doesn't help you out a lot, but i though i'd give it a go.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, here's a new pic of the underside of my genic.

Last time I posted a pic, I thought that it definately looked female. But now?

Jon

Last edited:

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
although it is difficult to tell from your photo, i see a slightly darker area on the epigynal plate (or the triangular-shaped plate area between the book lungs and the pedicel). the dark spot on my a. genic are bristles which are different in size and length from all of the other "hair" or bristles. it's this distinct patch on the plate that makes me think you probably have a male tarantula, too. the bristles are a part of the male reproductive system and are used to deposit sperm on the sperm web.

but the best way to check your tarantula's sex is to break out the old exuvia from the last moult and check for the "leaf-like" structure that females have.

Last edited:

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
and the magic 8-ball says: "the answer is unclear."

i can't really tell from that picture, either. sorry :(

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
How large is your female?

From the picture, the female doesn't look that large. The back legs look a bit thin.
The male of this species can get quite large. My mature male is 7" right now.
I've also got another male that will go through his mature molt in the next month. He's already 5".
How long have you had this tarantula and about how big is she? I would expect anywhere from 6" on up may be ready to breed.
Please let me know, because if you don't get the male from Krystal, I would be willing to send you one of mine to try.
Ralph