Interbreeding....

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ok i got two curly hair spiderlings, so i havnt got a clue what sex they are but i was wondering....

if one turns out male and one turns out female, and they are both from the same burd can you interbreed them?

in other words can you interbreed spiders?, i know most animals its a big no no but is it the same with spiders?

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

if you do i beleave the sac can be infertile, or the slings will be weak(hence dieing for no apparent reason), bad molts, etc...it really would'nt be hard to just find another curly hair from a different bloodline--Jeff

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Don't do it if they're from the same sac. You'll just start a line of bad T's.

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ok thanks people :D

i was just wondering about it thats all lol

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well even it was ok, it wouldn't work out, because males mature much faster then the females do.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
there's been speculation that the males maturing so much faster was nature's way of assuring that no inbreeding would take place and weaken the genetic line.

makes sense.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by jwb121377
Well even it was ok, it wouldn't work out, because males mature much faster then the females do.
Don't be too sure on that one. If I remember correctly, there are a few species in the US trade that originally came from a very very limited breeding pool. When dealing with very rare species where there is very little hope of getting another bloodline in, males are slowed down by feeding less and keeping them cooler while the females are sped up by warmer temps and powerfeeding. I don't say that this is the right thing to do or that it should be done, only that it has.

I'm pretty sure if P. metallica do come over this will probably be the case with them.....

Scott

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged

I'm pretty sure if P. metallica do come over this will probably be the case with them.....

Scott
I think it's also supposed to be the case with all the A. geniculata in the US hobby now, along with quite a few others.

I'm not sure if inbreeding is the big no-no it's made out to be. While some experiments done indicate that the resulting slings are small and weak, I suspect that this has more to do with breeding females at a small size rather than letting them molt annother 1-2 times. To really give the females tike to gain some size, it's probably best to sex the slings as soon as posible in order to most effectively speed up the females while slowing down the males.

Not that I advocate it as a standard practice. In the case with the curlies, there's no reason to go to these lengths when there's abundant unrelated spiders of the same species available. When it comes to establishing rare or scarce species in the hobby however, it may be the only way.

Wade

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Greal..

Wow.. I didnt know that the Welsh, where like the hicks down here........:}

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by hampton
Wow.. I didnt know that the Welsh, where like the hicks down here........:}
Remember, the royal families up there are all about line breeding. That's just a fancy term for inbreeding. :D

*ducks*

Bry

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I knew it could be done, but to have two spiderlings and raise them in the same conditions it wouldn't work out. I was assuming that he wouldn't elevate the female temps and lower the males. Not to get to far off topic, but I wonder if they will be able to establish P. metallica and P miranda by inbreeding alone?

SoCalKyle

Arachnopeon
Beware of the T's that come from the Deep South (arkansas, alabama,Mississippi) we all know how things go down there. Pretty soon there will be a Mexican Redneck Tarantula;P

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
wait wait i dont wanna interbreed them lol

i was just using them as an EXAMPLE cause i wanted to know info on it :)

thanks for replies by the way!

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Originally posted by SoCalKyle
Beware of the T's that come from the Deep South (arkansas, alabama,Mississippi) we all know how things go down there. Pretty soon there will be a Mexican Redneck Tarantula;P
Ha ha, good one, Kyle, good one! Some of 'em might squeel like a pig, too ;) !

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Grael
ok i got two curly hair spiderlings, so i havnt got a clue what sex they are but i was wondering....

if one turns out male and one turns out female, and they are both from the same burd can you interbreed them?

in other words can you interbreed spiders?, i know most animals its a big no no but is it the same with spiders?
If you breed close genetic relatives generation after generation, this leads to a phenomenon known as inbreeding depression. There is strength in diversity, a phenomenon known as hybrid vigor.

That being said, there might be no problems breeding two T's from the same brood, but keep crossing their offspring without outcrossing, and you could have genetic problems.

Unless the siblings have a trait you want to breed true, there is no good reason to inbreed.

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

Originally posted by jwb121377

Do they really do? Are there any research results published about this or where does this/your opinion come from?
In the last years I have made several times the experience, that females have matured earlier than the males which have been raised under the same conditions => mating of sister and brother has been successfull (= offsprings), so the female has been adult earlier than the male! That's why I doubt in the meanwhile statements like "Males mature one year before the females, that's the natural way to prevent inbreeding".
IMHO females are adult much earlier than most would expect!

all the best,
Martin

www.dearge.de
www.spiderpix.com

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bry
Remember, the royal families up there are all about line breeding. That's just a fancy term for inbreeding. :D

*ducks*

Bry
HEHEHEHEEEEE!!!!!!:D :D

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
In Asia a long time ago, kings used to marry off their daughters to the king's brothers. (Marry your uncle kinda thing.) In turn, the kings usually married their brothers' daughters. This was to assure that the royal bloodline was killed. No wonder why most royal families in Asia are dead.

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ok instead of me making another thread a question.....

on average how old does a tarantula need to be before they are mature?im guessing it goes on sex aswell, does it differ between species too?

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Martin H.
IMHO females are adult much earlier than most would expect!
Really? So in theory females mature at a smaller leg span size then males? I've never tried to breed a smaller female with a bigger male, as I always assumed that a female was not full grown until it reached it's adult size.