Interacting with jumping spiders.

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
So I have a lot of jumpers, and for the most part I don't handle, and their lives are not that interesting, they get feed every few days, an occasional rehouse or cleaning and thats it. I wish I could handle more but it is pretty nerve racking stating out because the jumper is not comfortable with you and is prone to bolting or doing weird things and I would hate to injure or lose one. After the first few times one jumps onto my hand and jumps off right after I give up not wanting to risk it. Does anyone know how I can start handling without any possibility of a bolt or anything like that, or a way I can try to get more comfortable with starting. After they are comfortable with handling it is easy but they reason I almost never handle is because I can never get past that first part.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Your desire to handle the spiders is never going to be something the spiders actually want. All you'll do is put them at risk

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
Your desire to handle the spiders is never going to be something the spiders actually want. All you'll do is put them at risk
I know the spider will never WANT to be handled but I have a few that are indifferent to it. What I really want is a way to mix up their day, they just sit about their enclosures all day, we know from the shutdown and all that even humans go insane from sitting at home all day doing nothing, I want some way for them to have something to do.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I know the spider will never WANT to be handled but I have a few that are indifferent to it. What I really want is a way to mix up their day, they just sit about their enclosures all day, we know from the shutdown and all that even humans go insane from sitting at home all day doing nothing, I want some way for them to have something to do.
They have something to do. Wait and feed. They don't need enrichment.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Actually disagree. Well to a point. I believe jumpers actually get something out of a change of surroundings. I'd put my hand near their enclosure and they'd wander on. Their choice. They will happily wander or look around and groom whilst on my hand/arm.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Jumpers are one invert that, unless you have a really nice and intricate enclosure, I highly recommend you handle. Whenever I just kept mine in little plastic containers they would survive and molt just fine but never really thrived

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
Jumpers are one invert that, unless you have a really nice and intricate enclosure, I highly recommend you handle. Whenever I just kept mine in little plastic containers they would survive and molt just fine but never really thrived
this is exactly what I mean, except the first handling is the one I never can get very far into, when the jumper jumps on and immediately jumps off I get scared and start thinking they might bolt or something.

Jumper

Arachnosquire
So I have a lot of jumpers, and for the most part I don't handle, and their lives are not that interesting, they get feed every few days, an occasional rehouse or cleaning and thats it. I wish I could handle more but it is pretty nerve racking stating out because the jumper is not comfortable with you and is prone to bolting or doing weird things and I would hate to injure or lose one. After the first few times one jumps onto my hand and jumps off right after I give up not wanting to risk it. Does anyone know how I can start handling without any possibility of a bolt or anything like that, or a way I can try to get more comfortable with starting. After they are comfortable with handling it is easy but they reason I almost never handle is because I can never get past that first part.
Lucky123,
TBH, it takes time, from my experience I let them wander out of the enclosure 1st for 10-15 minutes. I let them wander for a while and observe their behavior. if they seemed to be skittish-ed. I give them time to calm down. Once they calm down. S-L-O-W-L-Y place your finger/hand right next to their enclosure. I let them jump or crawl onto your finger/hand, just be sure you have a catch cup or paint brush readily. Try not to make any sudden movements, because that will be a negative effect. Let them trust that they are safe. I hope this helps.

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
Lucky123,
TBH, it takes time, from my experience I let them wander out of the enclosure 1st for 10-15 minutes. I let them wander for a while and observe their behavior. if they seemed to be skittish-ed. I give them time to calm down. Once they calm down. S-L-O-W-L-Y place your finger/hand right next to their enclosure. I let them jump or crawl onto your finger/hand, just be sure you have a catch cup or paint brush readily. Try not to make any sudden movements, because that will be a negative effect. Let them trust that they are safe. I hope this helps.
Thanks this helps a lot, normally I let them wander for about 1 minute but clearly that's not enough.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Never met a jumper in the wild that felt my finger was something to walk on- such a visual animal.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
they just sit about their enclosures all day, we know from the shutdown and all that even humans go insane from sitting at home all day doing nothing, I want some way for them to have something to do.
I will probably never understand why people think spiders need something to do. They need to hydrate, eat and have a cozy home. If you really want, introduce a new obstacle or flower in their enclosure as I have seen mine actually investigate and sometimes relocate to the new obstacles...Comparing everything to humans needs to stop, just because you are bored and will go insane doesn't mean the spider shares your sentiment.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
Everyone has their opinion on handling. Personally I love jumping spiders for the very reason that they seem to actually enjoy it, some of them. At the very least they don’t hate it. I’ve handled many wild jumpers by simply offering my hand. Such curious and smart little spiders. I’ve never experienced another spider quite like them. They also are built differently and don’t fall like tarantulas, in my experience.

But I will say it depends on the species and The individual. How comfortable you are. The way you move. There’s no way to really explain it and you’ll get it in time. Start by handling sitting on the floor or at a clean table. You’ll have lots of time to catch them if they get spooked. Take your time. Get to know them. Move slowly and deliberately. And remember that some just don’t like handling and that’s okay! I’ve got a handful that just don’t like the feel of my skin, I leave them be.

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
Everyone has their opinion on handling. Personally I love jumping spiders for the very reason that they seem to actually enjoy it, some of them. At the very least they don’t hate it. I’ve handled many wild jumpers by simply offering my hand. Such curious and smart little spiders. I’ve never experienced another spider quite like them. They also are built differently and don’t fall like tarantulas, in my experience.

But I will say it depends on the species and The individual. How comfortable you are. The way you move. There’s no way to really explain it and you’ll get it in time. Start by handling sitting on the floor or at a clean table. You’ll have lots of time to catch them if they get spooked. Take your time. Get to know them. Move slowly and deliberately. And remember that some just don’t like handling and that’s okay! I’ve got a handful that just don’t like the feel of my skin, I leave them be.
For me it seems that the smaller ones are easier to handle and seem to be more brave, compared the the bigger ones who always seem to be skittish. But today I’m going to try with a few adults, thanks for the advice!

Noah J

Arachnopeon

my female Platycryptus undatus crawled right onto my hand when i first found her out in the wild, I've had her for about three days now and she has not been afraid of me at all. Is that not a bit odd to you?

Marlana

Arachnoknight
my female Platycryptus undatus crawled right onto my hand when i first found her out in the wild, I've had her for about three days now and she has not been afraid of me at all. Is that not a bit odd to you?
Nope, I’ve handled quite a few wild jumpers that have no fear of me. It does make you wonder how they survived this long though 😅

LiseeLou

Arachnopeon
This thread makes me smile. I had a platycryptus Californicus for most of the summer, but set her free when her eggs hatched, so they could disperse when they wanted to. A few sources said that she would continue to guard them for a while after hatching. I’ve missed her, I never handled her, but loved watching her hunt, groom (so fastidious!), and sit on her eggs like a proud mama hen. I had never seen or known about maternal behavior like that in spiders, so it was fascinating to witness firsthand. Yay for Jumpers!

CritterFriendly

Arachnopeon
I have recently become infatuated with spiders more so than before after I caught my first Wolfie. I now have 4 of them and have always loved jumpers so I guess my plan is to get an enclosure made and find a new little friend this coming spring. 🤗 Any tips on the best spots to find them when the time comes?

Noah J

Arachnopeon
I have recently become infatuated with spiders more so than before after I caught my first Wolfie. I now have 4 of them and have always loved jumpers so I guess my plan is to get an enclosure made and find a new little friend this coming spring. 🤗 Any tips on the best spots to find them when the time comes?
I have found a lot of jumper slings at my house and noticed a little egg sack under my porch. But I would say summer and beginning of fall based on what I have noticed were I live. But if you are wanting to find them in spring you can find them in cracks in the wall, a garden or while they are just roaming about

Last edited:

CritterFriendly

Arachnopeon
On one of the threads I was looking at on them said spring and summer were the best times, but hey if they are still out now then I'm going to have to keep my eyes peeled. Heck yeah lol now I'm even more stoked.