Instar

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi all,

I just want to ask a few newbie questions. First. What do the Instar phases consist off. I've seen the mention of first, second, and third instar, but I don't know what constitutes each phase. Second and third - What is a sling and when is a sling no longer a sling. Thanks in advance!

:)

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
The instars are how many times they have molted, the more molts they have, the more they start to look like the adults, in markings and size.

Sling is slang for spiderling, a very young spider.

A sling is no longer considered a sling when it has a leg span of over 3". these are then considered juveniles.

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Then I have another question: KL, you're saying that a spider over 3 inches is no longer a spiderling, but what about different species, some species do not grow over 4 inches, and some more than 10 inches. I would think that a spider that will reach 10 inches is not yet a juvie when 3 inches, and a spider that will grow to 4 inches is a subadult when he/she reaches 3 inches. Or am I wrong and is this a general rule?
greetz,
Joost

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Almost any term besides 'instar' (with the specific associated number) is completely unofficial. There is no such thing, technically speaking, as a spiderling, juvenile, sub-adult, nymph, hatchling, etc.

There are a couple of general terms for specific instars (0th is generally referred to as a post embryo - the eggs with legs :D). But to be accurate all you have to go on is number of instars, ultimate instar (sexually mature adult), and post-ultimate instars for adults (usually female) who have moulted. Then there is the penultimate instar, which is the one that come right before adult hood (tarantula adolescent ;))

My rule of thumb is to consider the baldies and anybody under 1.5 inches who isn't displaying adult markings as a spiderling. Around 1.5-2 inches they typically look like a small tarantula and have adult or intermediate markings (e.g. my 2.5" C. cyanopubescens) and I upgrade them to juvenile. Once they achieve "tarantula size" around 3+ inches (no matter what their ultimate size) and adult markings they become sub-adults. That's my system at any rate.