Instant replacements!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Compared to temperate forests? Not so much. Decomposition occurs much faster in rainforests.

From Wikipedia
"Despite the growth of vegetation in a rainforest, soil quality is often quite poor. Rapid bacterial decay prevents the accumulation of humus. The concentration of iron and aluminium oxides by the laterization process gives the oxisols a bright red color and sometimes produces minable deposits such as bauxite). On younger substrates, especially of volcanic origin, tropical soils may be quite fertile."
The power of a rainforest ecosystem is that the high levels of organic matter are cycled rapidly by the abundant and diverse decomposers.

In any case though, bark chips is not a good simulation of what these critters find themselves in in the wild. If I were to use them as substrate I'd figure out some way to get them to decompose, first.

The guys on the other forum may have been patting you on the back for your beautiful pedes, but I don't see much solid advice/debate being exchanged.
Fine, you win.

Highlighted in bold above - You're right, but at least they didn't flame me. I said it simply shows the gulf between you people in terms of courtesy skills.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Actually, the centipedes here live in very rough, rugid rocks and dead twigs under a huge carpet near a garden here somewhere. I then tried keeping them in soil and gave it the proper pede setup and it died in 2 days. The fact they live ABOVE the soil is very interesting.

I now have them in 1/4 soil and 3/4 rocks. They go no where near the soil, but they like to stay above and inbetween the rigid rocks. This might actually be a better way to keep certain native pedes.

Phark, keep us updated on your pedes and it would be cool if you posted more pics.
Awesome! Thanks for supporting my stand. I've lots more pics in my computer but it's almost 2 in the morning over here now and I gotta catch some sleep. I'll post them tomorrow for sure. :)

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cool pictures. I'm glad to see them eating. Are the ones without "fangs" able to feed.

John
hummm, this one appears to be a rude, crasse American what do you think Hobson,umm yes, yes it twas, I do believe your bloody right old boy, um um nudge nudge wink wink.;)

Last edited:

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you are incapable of taking advice this is not the site for you. You will learn eventually that your wrong and will be able to accept it instead of having a fit like a 2 year old. And really must you PM me over this? It just shows you have nothing better to do with your life besides argue on the computer, and btw I have a job which I have been at for the past 5 hours... sorry I couldn't sit and argue with a random asian kid.

Everyexcuse4me

Arachnopeon
Compared to temperate forests? Not so much. Decomposition occurs much faster in rainforests.

From Wikipedia
"Despite the growth of vegetation in a rainforest, soil quality is often quite poor. Rapid bacterial decay prevents the accumulation of humus. The concentration of iron and aluminium oxides by the laterization process gives the oxisols a bright red color and sometimes produces minable deposits such as bauxite). On younger substrates, especially of volcanic origin, tropical soils may be quite fertile."
The power of a rainforest ecosystem is that the high levels of organic matter are cycled rapidly by the abundant and diverse decomposers.

In any case though, bark chips is not a good simulation of what these critters find themselves in in the wild. If I were to use them as substrate I'd figure out some way to get them to decompose, first.

The guys on the other forum may have been patting you on the back for your beautiful pedes, but I don't see much solid advice/debate being exchanged.
What has fertile soil got to do with a pede? They're not plants and need fertile soil to thrive.
The humus is rapidly decayed but more leaves and bark and twigs fall everyday. There will always be a top layer of fallen plant material no matter how quick these decompose.
And yes, they may be patting him on the back but the entire purpose of the thread was to check out his pedes AND NOT flame him. And please check out the way people "GAVE HIM ADVICE"

And you say a good simulation . Well if soil's just simulation then anything that provides moist and dark shetler is sufficent isn't it?

"Bet in the coming days you ll post how one ate another" - SAn
"Yeah Ill wager you also. As soon as one molts it is pede food. And get them off woodchips please... Its not a reptile you no?? Not trying to be mean its just so easy to get a bag of clean plain topsoil or something better. Thats my 2 cents." - cjm1991 (btw are you 17?)

How can you expect him to take any advice if you want to 'wager' with him and not sit down and explain your opinion instead of forcing him to listen to you? Why do you have to answer to his thread in a 'hostile' manner?

The first post already was talking about dead pedes. Don't you have any sense to at least explain why you think so or that you "think soil is best for pedes" instead of telling him that the pedes will die and "And get them off woodchips please... Its not a reptile you no??" like you're just insulting his intelligence.

Couldn't you have told him to separate the pedes because you fear they may eat each other instead of saying that they WILL eat each other? Words make a difference.

Well if you can't take this as my opinion then thats just rad.

If you are incapable of taking advice this is not the site for you. You will learn eventually that your wrong and will be able to accept it instead of having a fit like a 2 year old. And really must you PM me over this? It just shows you have nothing better to do with your life besides argue on the computer, and btw I have a job which I have been at for the past 5 hours... sorry I couldn't sit and argue with a random asian kid.

Well honestly if you have better things to do why post here? Are you afraid of losing out? Btw thats not advice in my opinion. Thats forcing him to change the jungle earth to soil because it's stated in all the care sheets and stuff you all read. He's apparently not so naive to believe all the reason you have gave him. If the main purpose of the substrate was to allow the pede to find a moist, dark shelter, and they have done so, then whats your case?

Random asian kid - well I've seen your myspace and you're no older than my nephew. Stereotype all you want, because that's just going to aggrevate him.

I'm not a pede pro, I'm sorry. But i know enough to post on this thread.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lovely pedes! I am unsure about the setup it seems fine, I will ask few pede experts on the matter...

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
sorry I couldn't sit and argue with a random asian kid.
Beginning to resort to direct insults now eh? It's understandable though; remember how you got trounced by What in that argument and then started to insult him? Typical.

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, what does being asian have to do with all of this? Well Phark, you can just try your best to ignore things, but I've been interested in this species for a while and I'd like to see more of it.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, what does being asian have to do with all of this? Well Phark, you can just try your best to ignore things, but I've been interested in this species for a while and I'd like to see more of it.
Yeah exactly. He said I was acting like a 2-year-old, but his insults are sending his reputation through the floor.

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well keep those pics coming! I'm anxious, this is my all time favorite species.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
we'll it makes more sense when you read a page or so back he's saying us Americans know nothing about the hobby. He's clearly been proven ignorant and can't simply accept it.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
CJM, there are Asian americans....Also, this thread has gone too far and I think its time we put an end to it.

EDIT- I mean an end to the remarks about substrate and Nationalities......

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Because he's asian? I feel that this topic will be locked anyway, but yes, I've had read the previous posts and all I saw was "We're right and you're wrong" though we have never tried keeping our centipedes in bark, just give it a chance.

It might turn out for the good and WE as Americans might learn something from this. If your point doesn't get through then what's the point of arguing back and forth?

Phark if you want, continue on using the bark, your choice and be sure keep us updated.

Last edited:

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This substrate will work as long as its kept moist and the pedes provided with a shallow water dish also hides are welcome as well. Just make sure it does not get mold because aslthough I have not kept pedes I have used this type of substrate before and it can mold fast.

Good luck happy breeding and I agree this flamefest is annoying.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
CJM, there are Asian americans....Also, this thread has gone too far and I think its time we put an end to it.
Umm read the first maybe second page where I very clearly say im done with this thread. He then felt the urge to PM me because he felt I had "insulted" him when I was obviously giving him advice. Is that not what this forum is for?

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Random asian kid - well I've seen your myspace and you're no older than my nephew. Stereotype all you want, because that's just going to aggrevate him.

I'm not a pede pro, I'm sorry. But i know enough to post on this thread.

So you actually take time to look into my myspace. LOL. Im alot more mature than my age and this is after all -the internet- a place where age means nothing. I called him a Asian kid because hes clearly very hurt emotionally that I pointed out his flaws and so he resorts to saying Americans are all just ignorant no-nothings. And if you think his idea for substrate is a good idea use it on your inverts???;P My guess is that you will stick to eco-earth or some other SOIL based substrate. Therefore I obviously have something to contribute to this forum, what does him having a little hissy fit have to offer? Please let me know... dont worry, Ill wait.:clap:

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree that this forum is for people to share and recieve advice, among other things, at the same time, is everyone on here supposed to have the same views about everything as others? But i agree that people need to open up a bit.

@Phark

Do the two color forms you have come from the same area? and do you plan on taking them off a frog diet?

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have something else to offer:

Debating, like we WERE doing, has a point, insulting each other based on how open people are to certain things is wrong. Remember, we share a common interest.

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I called him a Asian kid because hes clearly very hurt emotionally that I pointed out his flaws and so he resorts to saying Americans are all just ignorant no-nothings. And if you think his idea for substrate is a good idea use it on your inverts???;P
Woah... Dude, I must say, that was very harsh, ignorant, stereotypical, and almost racist in a way. I would of found that very insulting. I DO use bark and rigid rocks for one of my native species that live here under a carpet by a garden somewhere around here. They lived longer in that than they do soil.

However I DO prefer soil much more than bark and I will think this might be a good learning experience to find the PRO's and CON's of bark.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well even though you have no evidence that the bark itself made the pede live longer, you also have hides. Look at his enclosure and you will see no hides, or anything, besides bark. They cannot sustain a good burrow in wood. And I have yet to see a pede that prefers bark to soil or peat. The healthiest pedes are the ones that sit in there BURROW most of the time and I dont see how a pede can live longer with more stress. But you may be right sense I dont have experience with bark, that being said I will never ever use bark or woodchips for ANY invert I own. Not to mention all the other downsides to wood. Mold being a big one.

Status
Not open for further replies.