Instant replacements!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
WOOT! I bought 4 pedes today - all Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans (2 "Yellow Leg", 2 "Red Leg"). The best thing is, these pedes normally have their fangs clipped to prevent injury to the sellers and to the fishkeepers and their fish because these pedes are actually fish food. But, surprise, surprise, my 2 Red Legs have intact fangs! Without further ado, here are some pics of the communal set-up and the critters themselves.

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bet in the coming days you ll post how one ate another :eek:

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Let's have a wager on that.

Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans is a communal centipede, FYI.
Yeah Ill wager you also. As soon as one molts it is pede food. And get them off woodchips please... Its not a reptile you no?? Not trying to be mean its just so easy to get a bag of clean plain topsoil or something better. Thats my 2 cents.

-CJM-

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah Ill wager you also. As soon as one molts it is pede food. And get them off woodchips please... Its not a reptile you no?? Not trying to be mean its just so easy to get a bag of clean plain topsoil or something better. Thats my 2 cents.

-CJM-
Roflol. So many people have kept their Sc. subspinipes mutilans in communal tanks. You should go do a search. These pedes were all kept in communal tanks at the pet shop too. I posted to express my jubilation at obtaining these beauties. Get off my thread since all you have to offer is criticism. I like keeping my pedes on bark and that is MY problem, not yours, genius.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Phark: not criticism...just sound advice! I'd move them to a more soil like substrate. We'd all like to see your pedes do well, and maybe breed.

And yes, mutilans are known to eat eachother on the occasion, look around on this forum. Yes, the chances of one eating the other does make for a decent wager. But that is a risk you need to accept. Chances are if they've been together for a while they should be ok...

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
And yes, mutilans are known to eat eachother on the occasion, look around on this forum. Yes, the chances of one eating the other does make for a decent wager. But that is a risk you need to accept. Chances are if they've been together for a while they should be ok...
I agree, there's always a risk. But I always keep my pedes very well fed (perhaps even too well-fed) so they should be fine.

Can someone tell me what on earth is wrong with bark as a substrate? This is "Jungle Earth" from ExoTerra, a pretty reputable brand.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree, there's always a risk. But I always keep my pedes very well fed (perhaps even too well-fed) so they should be fine.

Can someone tell me what on earth is wrong with bark as a substrate? This is "Jungle Earth" from ExoTerra, a pretty reputable brand.
I think the big thing is people are saying it cant burrow in bark, and they think it should burrow. The sternites on a pede are tough though

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great pictures of a beautiful species. I really love how red their legs are. I think people would get their points across a lot better if they were a little less blunt about it. Im glad you got replacements for your loss.

The main concern about using wood chips is that it does not hold a burrow as well as peat or soil. Without a burrow your pedes will be stressed and likely live a shorter life.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Alright do a quick search "genius" and you will find that all pedes enjoy to burrow, and if they cant they will be alot more stressed out, die alot faster, and probably more prone to eat one another. Want more flamming? You can take our advice and your pedes will do better or be stubborn I dont care in the end my pedes will be alot more happy and do 10X better than yours so I can care less. Have fun finding body parts scattered after there first molts.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Alright do a quick search "genius" and you will find that all pedes enjoy to burrow, and if they cant they will be alot more stressed out, die alot faster, and probably more prone to eat one another. Want more flamming? You can take our advice and your pedes will do better or be stubborn I dont care in the end my pedes will be alot more happy and do 10X better than yours so I can care less. Have fun finding body parts scattered after there first molts.
When did I ever say pedes cannot burrow in bark? In the first pic in the top left hand corner there's already one of them half-buried. So stop being a Klown.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lol why be a part of this site if your not willing to take advice? But no your pedes would be 10 x less stressed if they had a nice substrate to burrow in. Idc you dont have to listen to me but you could admit your wrong and learn from mistakes. Your lose.;)

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lol why be a part of this site if your not willing to take advice? But no your pedes would be 10 x less stressed if they had a nice substrate to burrow in. Idc you dont have to listen to me but you could admit your wrong and learn from mistakes. Your lose.;)
You're obviously blind. In the first pic I posted anyone else will clearly see that one of the pedes is already half-buried. In fact, right now all of them are in their burrows. Do you want me to show you some photos before you are convinced that CENTIPEDES CAN BURROW IN BARK?

By the way, your grammar is screwed. It's "loss", not "lose". "Lose" is a verb.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You're obviously blind. In the first pic I posted anyone else will clearly see that one of the pedes is already half-buried. In fact, right now all of them are in their burrows. Do you want me to show you some photos before you are convinced that CENTIPEDES CAN BURROW IN BARK?

By the way, your grammar is screwed. It's "loss", not "lose". "Lose" is a verb.
Sorry "s" happens to be by "e". I dont care if your trying to argue I already made a better point than you and when my pedes do better and live longer I think I already won. So im done with this thread.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sorry "s" happens to be by "e". I dont care if your trying to argue I already made a better point than you and when my pedes do better and live longer I think I already won. So im done with this thread.
Please tell me how your point is superior to mine. Your point was that centipedes cannot burrow in bark. I proved you wrong with my pics. So who lost the argument here? You're saying you're done with this thread only because you're trying to avoid humiliation. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lol. Do you get pride out of argueing over the computer. My point is my pedes will live longer. Bark is not good substrate for pedes. Its a very known thing, like I said before do a simple search and you will find numerous threads saying the same thing.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lol. Do you get pride out of argueing over the computer. My point is my pedes will live longer. Bark is not good substrate for pedes. Its a very known thing, like I said before do a simple search and you will find numerous threads saying the same thing.
Once you prove to me that your pedes will live longer than mine, I'll bow to you.

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just realise what kind of natural inhabitants centipedes have and try simulate the substrate a bit.
they dont live in bark chips. Anyway noone is trying to make you feel bad or prove you wrong. You can do whatever you like, most opinions are offered as help

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
trying not to involve in the discussion,
but who says some pedes don't live on bark chips :eek:
but i think in nature underneath "natural bark chips" there's always soil :rolleyes: ;)

@ Phark
are those the only available Scolopendrids in Singapore pet-shops ?
just wondering if no other specie would also been offered as fishfood :?

Status
Not open for further replies.