Instant replacements!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah that's true, the mold on wood is a bit pesky, but that's why we own inverts right? To spoil them until they can't be spoiled no more. Just saying that the native pedes in my area prefer to live in rough areas and crevises because they aren't good at burrowing themselves.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My S.Heros Cast. never burrows.. at most it sits under its water dish when it feels it needs more moisture and is sleepy. No disrespect though.. That wasnt my goal in this thread, just trying to give someone advice and they took it the wrong way. But I guess its his loss if they eat each other or die so meanwhile ill enjoy my pedes! :D

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In my own experience, a happy pede is a pede you almost never see.

I wish I could see my castanieceps!

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Eclipse: I'm sure different pedes are different. Since you've seen your species appears to enjoy rocks...then that is an obvious hint as to how to keep them in captivity. Maybe Phark can go look for mutilans in the wild. ;)

Phark: I don't feel I've been flaming you. A bit blunt, most definetly, and if I've stepped on any toes I am very sorry(but it is hard to convey tone on the internet). I'll say I find the most interesting threads the ones where their is a lively debate on things like this(not a flame war, difference!) not the ones where people are saying how pretty they are...we know that! :)

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my own experience, a happy pede is a pede you almost never see.

I wish I could see my castanieceps!
I agree 100%. I love my SHC the most.. its my biggest and most "docile" pede I own.. what a great combo :rolleyes: I hold it every couple of days sense the only other pedes I can even get a hand near are my polymorhas. My subspinipes are so aggressive that they actually run after my forceps when doing regular cleaning or adjusting.. and feeding them is a whole other story.. lol

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I get nervous when one of my inverts is a little too docile, even thought it's probably just their personality. I keep thinking that they are getting sick or something. It does my heart good when a pede tries to kill me as I give it a good "hello"

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I felt this way at first too, but he/she is a very good eater and never denys food. Ive even hand fed it a large cricket :eek: I also have some pretty mean T's that attack me as soon as the lids off, cobalt blues and my baboons. But also forums like these are alot more intertaining than others by far so in this particular case, Phark was the chosen way you could say that created it. BTW I am not 1 bit sorry for what ive said to you Phark, only sorry that your not taking good advice.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
we'll it makes more sense when you read a page or so back he's saying us Americans know nothing about the hobby. He's clearly been proven ignorant and can't simply accept it.
Bwahaha. When on earth did I say Americans know nothing about the hobby? Show me evidence. I said the British guys were much more tactful and courteous in posting their responses.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I called him a Asian kid because hes clearly very hurt emotionally that I pointed out his flaws and so he resorts to saying Americans are all just ignorant no-nothings.
Hey you, stop with all the slanderous remarks. I never insulted Americans' knowledge of the hobby. I never said Americans were ignorant. Stop putting words in my mouth, fool.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So you're talking about bark being susceptible to mould. Hmm. I've been using this "Jungle Earth" material from ExoTerra for months and while leftovers do get mouldy sometimes, the bark pieces themselves never grow mould. You can try it yourself if you doubt me.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well even though you have no evidence that the bark itself made the pede live longer, you also have hides. Look at his enclosure and you will see no hides, or anything, besides bark. They cannot sustain a good burrow in wood. And I have yet to see a pede that prefers bark to soil or peat. The healthiest pedes are the ones that sit in there BURROW most of the time and I dont see how a pede can live longer with more stress. But you may be right sense I dont have experience with bark, that being said I will never ever use bark or woodchips for ANY invert I own. Not to mention all the other downsides to wood. Mold being a big one.
Do you have any shred of evidence that a bark substrate will give a centipede more stress?

And you have yet to see a pede prefer bark to soil or peat plainly because you have NEVER tried using bark, like you said.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Accept your wrong like everyone else already has. Your the only one still worried about it. Also its very obvious you are only wanting to argue, not learn. Learning is what the sites for, FOOL.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Accept your wrong like everyone else already has. Your the only one still worried about it. Also its very obvious you are only wanting to argue, not learn. Learning is what the sites for, FOOL.
Don't evade the subject. Show me evidence of me insulting Americans' knowledge of this hobby, since you accused me of it.

And how do you know that using bark as a centipede substrate is "wrong"? What is right or wrong in this case? This is such a subjective issue that everything is obviously a matter of opinion. Therefore, how can I accept that I'm wrong when there is no right or wrong in the first place? If you can establish that using bark as a substrate is WRONG, then, yes, you win. As usual, I'll be waiting for the evidence. You'll need to show me a paper by some myriapodologist which can prove that using bark as a substrate for centipedes is detrimental to the centipedes' long-term health.

Last edited:

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Stress affects how long they live just like many other inverts. Rough substrate that doesnt sustain a nice burrow will affect their stress levels.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Stress affects how long they live just like many other inverts. Rough substrate that doesnt sustain a nice burrow will affect their stress levels.
You obviously don't see it. You're supposed to show me evidence that using bark as a substrate will cause detriment to a centipede, not hypotheses.

On a side note, Jungle Earth (which is the "bark" I'm using) is light and un-compacted, unlike soil. In other words, my centipedes easily and readily wind through the relatively large gaps in between the pieces of bark. In short, their burrows have already been created naturally because the gaps ensure that there's actually a series of unorthodox "tunnels" in the substrate. Unconventional, but it works for them.

You and your soil-advocating friends simply cannot accept the fact that alternatives are sometimes just as effective as the norm.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hate to do this but I was linked to this post by another member of the site and felt the need to add a little something.
Lol why be a part of this site if your not willing to take advice?
Soo, it is ok for you not to take advice but he has to? Pot calling the kettle black much?

*This will be my one and only post in the thread on this topic.*

@ Phark: While I personally would recommend peat as a substrate the bark will probably be fine. Just be very careful of the humidity and the amount of moisture the pede has access to. They dehydrate quite fast.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Phark: While I personally would recommend peat as a substrate the bark will probably be fine. Just be very careful of the humidity and the amount of moisture the pede has access to. They dehydrate quite fast.
Noted. Thanks.

nissan480

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I vote this thread to be deleted.Its 95% garbage.:mad:

Ive never seen one like it,and hope to never see one again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.