Instant replacements!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just realise what kind of natural inhabitants centipedes have and try simulate the substrate a bit.
they dont live in bark chips. Anyway noone is trying to make you feel bad or prove you wrong. You can do whatever you like, most opinions are offered as help
Look - Sc. subspinipes mutilans is a tropical rainforest species. On the forest floor in rainforests what do you find? - yes, rotting bark, rotting leaf litter, and then some soil below.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@ Phark
are those the only available Scolopendrids in Singapore pet-shops ?
just wondering if no other specie would also been offered as fishfood :?
Sc. subspinipes mutilans in the only species offered as fish food here because:

1) They're easily available from centipede farms
2) They're communal; thus economical to house
3) Their bright colour leads naive fishkeepers to think that they can enhance colour in fish (namely Arowanas)

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lol. Do you get pride out of argueing over the computer. My point is my pedes will live longer. Bark is not good substrate for pedes. Its a very known thing, like I said before do a simple search and you will find numerous threads saying the same thing.
To prove that your pedes live longer than mine because you use a substrate other than bark, you will have to establish that substrate is the only control variable, and that all other variables that affect centipede lifespan remain constant. And so, we will both have to have a same-sized tank, with a same-sized pede of the same species and same colour morph, with the same humidity, with a same-sized water dish, with identical food and feeding amounts, with identical temperatures.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

nissan480

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
WOW,Your obviously incapable of taking advice.If you call that a burrow,you need to read a dictionary.

Just because your pede's survive,doestn mean that things are good.

Ive seen dogs survive some horrible conditions,but that doesnt make them healthy!

To people trying to help,just let it go.

This is a forum for keeping pede's(PROPERLY),and he obviously has nothing to add,or nothing to learn!

Last edited:

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
WOW,Your obviously incapable of taking advice.If you call that a burrow,you need to read a dictionary.

Just because your pede's survive,doestn mean that things are good.
I have a simple question for you:

Do you want to see pictorial evidence that ALL FOUR of my pedes are now in their burrows?

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would like to add that I am fully appreciative of constructive advice. It's just that CJM barged in here and dished out his "advice" in a tone I did not like. Moreover, this was a PICTURE thread in the first place, showcasing my newest purchases. I did not outwardly ask for advice of any sort.

Great pictures of a beautiful species. I really love how red their legs are. I think people would get their points across a lot better if they were a little less blunt about it. Im glad you got replacements for your loss.
This has probably been the most tactful response so far. Thanks, Ryan!

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
agree

i agree with other posted replys .theres a difference in a burrowing and a burrow.they cannot maintain a burrow in the wood chips.it will collapse.
and as far as them being communal.very debatable.i started with four very healthy mutilans set them up in a 29 high(with coco peat,so they can make a burrow)and two months later have one very fat female.even though i have 11 colonys of roaches and feed them as often as they will accept food.
can they be kept on bark?sure but it surely isn't optimal they need something that will retain a burrow.
sorry to disagree.advise given was well deserved.seems like you are arguing just to argue.
nice pics though.and congrats on new pedes.
andy

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey Phark,
people are not robots, they WILL give you their opinion on any thread, that just goes with the territory.

Take it as constructive thing even if its a negative comment you still learned something for next time.:)

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i agree with other posted replys .theres a difference in a burrowing and a burrow.they cannot maintain a burrow in the wood chips.it will collapse.
and as far as them being communal.very debatable.i started with four very healthy mutilans set them up in a 29 high(with coco peat,so they can make a burrow)and two months later have one very fat female.even though i have 11 colonys of roaches and feed them as often as they will accept food.
can they be kept on bark?sure but it surely isn't optimal they need something that will retain a burrow.
I have to disagree. I think bark may actually hold a tunnel-like burrow better than soil because bark is lightweight. Bark isn't compacted like soil. The pedes make use of the gaps in between to burrow. And I don't mess the bark pieces around so technically the "burrows" remain. It's a 3" layer of substrate, by the way. As I type right now they're all underground.

Thanks for sharing your experience with these communal pedes. Nevertheless I'm still going to try keeping my pedes together.

And thanks for the compliments.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alright you dont need to take advice from people who obviously know more about the hobby than you, but anyone that cares for there pedes would have. This just shows your lack of concern for them. And argueing over the internet is pretty pointless, even though after quit a few people sided with me, you are still Eraged that I pointed out your flaws. You could learn from mistakes... Cavemen were capable of doing that... or just keep trying to argue that you are right.. Noone obviously cares

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Alright you dont need to take advice from people who obviously know more about the hobby than you
I can't stand people who praise themselves so publicly. How much more about centipedes do you know compared to me? I'd like to find out. Blast me with your wisdom, please.

By the way, you Americans should check this thread out and learn from the Britons. Looking at all the positive responses they gave me, the gulf in courtesy skills between you guys and the British is very apparent.

http://www.arachnophiles.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7160

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
funny thing is

funny thing is the thread you posted most of the replies had no idea that mutilans were considered communal.but yeah understood,sucks that us americans are trying to give advise on keeping them in a healthier enviroment.we are so uncordial
andy

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
we are so uncordial
Glad you realised.

EDIT: "Oh and what was the issue with the Jungle earth? A lot of species are highly adaptable, moreso than we give them credit for to be honest, as James said, sometimes it can't be accepted that a different way may just work!" - Huk7, Arachnophiles admin

What does the above quote signify? You guys are simply unflexible and rigid. Clearly Huk7 managed to look at things from a better perspective - something at which you guys failed.

Last edited:

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Fact of the matter is, in the rainforest the litter layer is seldom very thick. Right below it is soil...or more appropriately, clay(such as laterite). Also, my personal opinion is that in wet forests bark "chips" like you use are pretty rare. They quickly get turned into this soft crumbly stuff and eventually into leafmold. and guess where most of the centipedes are when I flip logs?

I'm sure I mentioned this somewhere else, but I am not buying pede farms.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Fact of the matter is, in the rainforest the litter layer is seldom very thick.
Show me evidence of this. In rainforests there is such a huge organic bioload that the leaf litter is often a thick layer, contrary to what you think. I live in Singapore. The entire island used to be covered in tropical rainforest. I know what it's like in a rainforest. I am also a Pure Geography student. Well anyway proof first, talk later.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cool pictures. I'm glad to see them eating. Are the ones without "fangs" able to feed.

John

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
also

EDIT: "Oh and what was the issue with the Jungle earth? A lot of species are highly adaptable, moreso than we give them credit for to be honest, as James said, sometimes it can't be accepted that a different way may just work!" - Huk7, Arachnophiles admin

What does the above quote signify? You guys are simply unflexible and rigid. Clearly Huk7 managed to look at things from a better perspective - something at which you guys failed.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Show me evidence of this. In rainforests there is such a huge organic bioload that the leaf litter is often a thick layer, contrary to what you think. I live in Singapore. The entire island used to be covered in tropical rainforest. I know what it's like in a rainforest. I am also a Pure Geography student. Well anyway proof first, talk later.
Compared to temperate forests? Not so much. Decomposition occurs much faster in rainforests.

From Wikipedia
"Despite the growth of vegetation in a rainforest, soil quality is often quite poor. Rapid bacterial decay prevents the accumulation of humus. The concentration of iron and aluminium oxides by the laterization process gives the oxisols a bright red color and sometimes produces minable deposits such as bauxite). On younger substrates, especially of volcanic origin, tropical soils may be quite fertile."
The power of a rainforest ecosystem is that the high levels of organic matter are cycled rapidly by the abundant and diverse decomposers.

In any case though, bark chips is not a good simulation of what these critters find themselves in in the wild. If I were to use them as substrate I'd figure out some way to get them to decompose, first.

The guys on the other forum may have been patting you on the back for your beautiful pedes, but I don't see much solid advice/debate being exchanged.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cool pictures. I'm glad to see them eating. Are the ones without "fangs" able to feed.

John
You're the second poster here who didn't immediately flame me with his/her first post. Thanks and thanks for the compliment too. Well technically they do still have fangs it's just the tips that are clipped, hence removing their ability to envenomate anything. But they can still subdue suitably-sized prey.

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually, the centipedes here live in very rough, rugid rocks and dead twigs under a huge carpet near a garden here somewhere. I then tried keeping them in soil and gave it the proper pede setup and it died in 2 days. The fact they live ABOVE the soil is very interesting.

I now have them in 1/4 soil and 3/4 rocks. They go no where near the soil, but they like to stay above and inbetween the rigid rocks. This might actually be a better way to keep certain native pedes. I've had them for over a month and they seem to do better.

Phark, keep us updated on your pedes and it would be cool if you posted more pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.