Insertion?

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just introduced my male RCF G. rosea to my female Grey G. rosea for the first time. He ran from the cup into her tank and then sat along the side half on glass half off. I saw no drumming at all but their tanks have been side by side for 2-3 weeks now. She slowly moved over to him and they just sat side by side for a minute or two. Then the male moved a tiny bit and she exploded at him but he hooked her and got under her. I saw him stroking her under the abdomen with his pedipalps and then did what I thought looked like an insertion. He had her up for about 30-45 seconds and then they kinda pushed each other a little bit and he positioned himself for an escape into the open end of the tank away from her. He then bolted to the far corner of the tank and she caught him by the back leg I'm pretty sure with the intent to eat him so I put a pair of tongs in between them which she pressed against way harder than I expected from something that size :worship:. She released his leg after about 10 seconds of me holding her back with the tongs. I checked the male after he got clear of her tank and he seems fine no damage to the leg at all from what I could see. My question is was this enough time for a successful insertion as I thought I saw?

This is my first breeding project attempt for tarantulas and it is an awesome thing to behold, Youtube videos don't do it justice at all. I'm {D right now since my first T, the male didn't get eaten and got what looked like a good insertion.

Last edited:

Mez

Arachnoknight
Hasn't one of these just been reclassified as a new species?
Wait for others with more knowledge to chime in later, but if they have you might want to reconsider, just a heads up..

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had read that there was a debate over the possibility of them being different species but have never seen anything to confirm this. If anyone has any info regarding this I would appreciate it. I've talked to lots of people and mentioned it on here before now that this was going to be my first breeding project with no one even giving a mention to the possibility. I chose the different color forms as a sort of experiment within the breeding project itself.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What are you planning on doing with the slings if this is successful? Yes, this is a leading question...

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had it setup to easily get rid of over 1/2 to 3/4 of them locally and a few to friends. I was also planning on keeping around 10 until adulthood. I don't believe them to be different species and was curious how the slings will come out, all one color form, all another or a mixture with a wide gradient of color shade from grey with a tint of red to bright red like the male is. I now have questions I need better answered and need to think things through more before deciding what I am doing with them now. I have the room to keep them all to about 3" size and have 2 lateralis colonies and 1 dubia colony. I have a few months before a potential sac to make any final decisions. A leading question, I'm curious what other people input is on this now.

I stated in another post as well about this breeding project and I do have help to care for the slings if I can't keep up with it working my 12 hour work shifts. I did it more for the breeding experience than being worried about getting rid of the slings for money. Plus like I said I am extremely intrigued how the slings will be color-wise.

I'm newer to the hobby, about 2 years experience now and am hooked, I know other species I want already and have the room for them, I decided to do this breeding project first before further expanding my "collection"

Last edited: