Insectual Sex

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When you see 2 beetles doing it what sex is on the top and what sex is on the bottom? What about with grasshoppers? And when you see dragonflies or damselflies doing it, which sex is in the front and which is in the back? Thanks.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
When you see 2 beetles doing it what sex is on the top and what sex is on the bottom? What about with grasshoppers? And when you see dragonflies or damselflies doing it, which sex is in the front and which is in the back? Thanks.
aren't the males usually on top:? that's what i've always observed/seen/thought.
trying google-ing "beetle mating" or "grasshopper mating" or such as that.

Last edited:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
when my ground beetles used to mate the female was always on the bottom,all the different sp. i have or had it was always that way,because if ya look real close you can see the male(on top) inserting his gongflugle{D in the female(on bottom) i think this the same w/grasshoppers aswell,but i'm not positive on that,same w/dragonflies.

Dorcus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Males for beetles are almost always (if not always) on top. butterflies are level, both sexes facing opposite directions.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Males on top for most beetles and probably all grasshoppers. Males clasp females head or prothorax and female bends abdomen up to male in tandem mating in dragon and damselflies

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In the insect world, males generally initiate mating so therefore they're usually on top.

In the human world, it could go either way.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Also males are usually much smaller so they have to be on top :)
At least with mantids and sticks.

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OK thanks for the info. I found a mating pair of grasshoppers and the female (on bottom) is almost 3 times as large as the male. They are soon to be pinned. And also I keep seeing my Pasimachus elongatus beetles mating and I wish to pin a male and a female and I think the best way to determine sex is to find a mating pair. Hey beetleman, I have over 35 P. elongatus in my colony now!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
OK thanks for the info. I found a mating pair of grasshoppers and the female (on bottom) is almost 3 times as large as the male. They are soon to be pinned. And also I keep seeing my Pasimachus elongatus beetles mating and I wish to pin a male and a female and I think the best way to determine sex is to find a mating pair. Hey beetleman, I have over 35 P. elongatus in my colony now!
whehewwww,dats alot of pasims ya got there{D man they must be partying like mad,i luv it. in pasimachus i only have 3, 1 tiny blueish(not sure on id ,fla) 1 arizona local(black black) 1 biggie from north fla.black also. awesome beetles:clap:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Males for beetles are almost always (if not always) on top. butterflies are level, both sexes facing opposite directions.
hmm butterflies can't even look at each other while mating?{D tisk tisk very sad.:D

Dorcus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
While mating they fly very very very slow... It's a good chance to catch rare species like that... Not exactly nice to the butterflies, but I'll admit to it, I've done it once.... but hey, I ended up with a proven male and female! :)

EDIT: You guys should see the way Lucanidae breed; it's cool! (well, not the actual breeding process) males will fight over females, and the dominant male will then continue to mate with the female. Usually, it's while the female is having a meal. The male uses its 'jaws' to hold the female in place; to prevent her from running away, and gets on top of her. Lucanidae are awesome... Dynastidae too i suppose.

Last edited: