Insecticide

Sana

Arachnoprince
We had a lice issue at our house last month and obviously the treatments for that are insecticides. I’ve had the tarantulas quarantined to the point of ridiculous paranoia. Today is one month out from the insecticide use and based on research it should be more than safe for the tarantulas. We haven’t seen any sign in any of them of exposure thankfully. Does anyone know the longest time for exposure symptoms to show up?

Glorious Baboon

Arachnosquire
I would imagine it depends on the insecticides used the level of strength would probably make a difference so I would put the information out that you have on your insecticide and contact someone like orkin or any pest control center they probably have encountered a situation similar and in the future I would look for natural remedies,

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
sounds pretty spooky maybe put an OBT out there as a test? JK OBT is too cute to risk maybe put some crickets or roaches and see if they die just to make sure?
please boss dont hurt thr OBT it just wanted a hug. but this roach/cricket method seems well to use. I dont know about exposure rates though sorry mate.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Depends on what insecticide was used and where. Many residual insecticides can remain for more than 3 months when applied indoors, as there is no sunlight to break them down. However, only the treated surfaces would have the insecticide, not the air. I would just be careful not to have anything that touches the treated surfaces touch anything in or near the tarantulas or feeder insects...this includes your hands. If it was non-residual, contact kill type application, then you shouldn't have much to worry about as the insecticide would be gone.

Aleetist

Arachnosquire
Excuse me if I am incorrect. But aren't lice insecticides only applied to the head of the infected human? When I had to handle a lice outbreak it was done exclusively in the bathroom and on the head and all bedding was just washed with hot water and bleach.

If you only had to apply it to your head and in a localized area (the bathroom) I think you are fine.

But if it was something you actually used in your house like a flea bomb or a topical application I'm not certain but I would wash the area with dish soap to remove any residual residue and make sure you have aired everything out very well.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
Excuse me if I am incorrect. But aren't lice insecticides only applied to the head of the infected human? When I had to handle a lice outbreak it was done exclusively in the bathroom and on the head and all bedding was just washed with hot water and bleach.

If you only had to apply it to your head and in a localized area (the bathroom) I think you are fine.

But if it was something you actually used in your house like a flea bomb or a topical application I'm not certain but I would wash the area with dish soap to remove any residual residue and make sure you have aired everything out very well.
oh yeh OP said "lice" pretty sure they use a dandelion insecticide for that not bleach....I dont think the application of bleach on oneself is safe or healthy as if it's chlorine based it can be quite harmful.

Aleetist

Arachnosquire
oh yeh OP said "lice" pretty sure they use a dandelion insecticide for that not bleach....I dont think the application of bleach on oneself is safe or healthy as if it's chlorine based it can be quite harmful.
Sometimes I wonder if you read what people wrote, or just really like to be misleading and cheeky in your replies lol.

I only used bleach for washing the BEDDING and if you re-read what I wrote you will see that.

Glorious Baboon

Arachnosquire
Sometimes I wonder if you read what people wrote, or just really like to be misleading and cheeky in your replies lol.

I only used bleach for washing the BEDDING and if you re-read what I wrote you

I only used bleach for washing the BEDDING and if you re-read what I wrote you will see that.
but you didn’t specify what you used on your head and body which I think is what mislead him to think you used bleach to get rid of the infestation on your head, also there are 3 types that effect humans that I know of hair,body, and pubic lice there may be some that effect pets which if the dog sheds a lot they would be all over making it easier to just use insecticides to rid them but I’m not an expert so I could be wrong

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel

I guess sometimes I need to slow down...take time to understand every written word. BUT I will likely never stop. Honestly my eye were/are pretty tired being as how I dont like sleep but my darn body forces it on me:alien
I dont know much bout cleaning fabrics or material, but why bother when's there's so much more to learn and so little time. One must choose to be efficient in their learning or not. my highest of apologies for misunderstanding you and I'm not really that cheeky:rolleyes:
you can likely tell I didn't pay much attention as I didn't realize OP was talking about lice, pyrethrum is the name of the common lice insecticide(it works well on most arthropods). it can kill spiders but has no residual effect meaning that only direct contact with it can harm the Ts so please boss(OP) dont rub your OBT with this stuff. *and for the love of the pope dont use bleach :confused:*

Aleetist

Arachnosquire
but you didn’t specify what you used on your head and body which I think is what mislead him to think you used bleach to get rid of the infestation on your head, also there are 3 types that effect humans that I know of hair,body, and pubic lice there may be some that effect pets which if the dog sheds a lot they would be all over making it easier to just use insecticides to rid them but I’m not an expert so I could be wrong
Gonna quote myself here:
But aren't lice insecticides only applied to the head of the infected human? When I had to handle a lice outbreak it was done exclusively in the bathroom and on the head and all bedding was just washed with hot water and bleach.
Now, I am assuming it is a human based lice in which case the type of lice shouldn't matter as they can't survive without a host for more than 48 hours and human lice can't live on dogs or cats. They are a people pest and have evolved along with us, the evolution break between head lice and pubic lice can be traced back to humans starting to wear clothes. So carpet bombing doesn't make a lot of sense. I guess if someone was HUGELY creeped out they could go to those lengths, but its highly unnecessary and impractical.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
i know right so misleading. thanks for the support pal, you got a lot going for you. im not an expert either but the internet is and me knowing how to use it makes me an expert by default :smug: just kidding I have to read about it first then maybe im an expert. and yes using a product designed to kill insect is best to kill an insect i would agree using bleach is something an american would do we all know how much they like the fine tide pod cuisine :D(dear mods please dont ban me I bolded my helpful insight :bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:)

Glorious Baboon

Arachnosquire
That is true it’s just a hypothetical but if the infestation wasn’t all the way exterminated you can easily catch them again. I had them once as a child I remember my mom combing them out and using shampoo, while also cleaning all furniture and carpets including clothing articles and fabrics she may have been over the top with it but I don’t believe that’s the worst thing he could have done, either way within the time frame he says he should be in the clear as long as he doesn’t place them in said areas where the insecticide was dispensed

Aleetist

Arachnosquire
I guess sometimes I need to slow down...take time to understand every written word. BUT I will likely never stop. Honestly my eye were/are pretty tired being as how I dont like sleep but my darn body forces it on me:alien
I dont know much bout cleaning fabrics or material, but why bother when's there's so much more to learn and so little time. One must choose to be efficient in their learning or not. my highest of apologies for misunderstanding you and I'm not really that cheeky:rolleyes:
you can likely tell I didn't pay much attention as I didn't realize OP was talking about lice, pyrethrum is the name of the common lice insecticide(it works well on most arthropods). it can kill spiders but has no residual effect meaning that only direct contact with it can harm the Ts so please boss(OP) dont rub your OBT with this stuff. *and for the love of the pope dont use bleach :confused:*
I know you like to play and make jokes (at least you seem like you do from other posts), so I couldn't tell if it was you just joking, or if you had legit thought I recommended bleach on a human body lol

You don't think you need to know things about getting rid of lice in your home until you do... lol I hope you never need to learn them in your life because lice SUCKS. :)

Glorious Baboon

Arachnosquire
i know right so misleading. thanks for the support pal, you got a lot going for you. im not an expert either but the internet is and me knowing how to use it makes me an expert by default :smug: just kidding I have to read about it first then maybe im an expert. and yes using a product designed to kill insect is best to kill an insect i would agree using bleach is something an american would do we all know how much they like the fine tide pod cuisine :D(dear mods please dont ban me I bolded my helpful insight :bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:)
It was slightly but as they pointed out before the the whole bleach spill they used a type of insecticide on there head it’s a shampoo type bought at pharmacy, but just the way the sentence was if you missed the first part seemed like a bleach recommendation, for sure man I’m youtube certified

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
I know you like to play and make jokes (at least you seem like you do from other posts), so I couldn't tell if it was you just joking, or if you had legit thought I recommended bleach on a human body lol

You don't think you need to know things about getting rid of lice in your home until you do... lol I hope you never need to learn them in your life because lice SUCKS. :)
dont worry I have no friends its impossible for me to catch lice...I had an awesome joke but mods already threatening to ban me sooooooo. i'll just kek to myself. and I was actually thinking you recommended applying bleach to one self. I dont know how to do laundry and thats something I need often, its honestly more complicated than matrix multiplication b/c matrix mult is easy. also I've never intentionally made a joke in my life, people just like laughing at me...nevr with me*sad face emoji*. well off to tend to my tarantula collection, I wonder why I have no friends:confused:

Sana

Arachnoprince
I think I wasn’t quite clear about my question. The lice shampoo was the only true insecticide used. It’s active ingredient was pyrethrin which has a 14-17 day half life without sun exposure. The tarantulas have been quarantined for 35 days. At this point there shouldn’t even be trace insecticide remaining so I’m not concerned about exposure. None of the tarantulas are showing symptoms of exposure thankfully. I thought from reading threads over the last few years that symptoms would present within a week or two of exposure but I wasn’t completely sure. Could it take a month to show symptoms? More? I have a half dozen tarantulas that I was getting ready to sell when the lice happened and I want to make very very sure that they are fine before I sell them. The quarantine is being lifted on Monday and I don’t expect to have any reexposure issues since the stuff should have been inactive a while ago. I really just want to be sure of health before I do anything else.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
I think I wasn’t quite clear about my question. The lice shampoo was the only true insecticide used. It’s active ingredient was pyrethrin which has a 14-17 day half life without sun exposure. The tarantulas have been quarantined for 35 days. At this point there shouldn’t even be trace insecticide remaining so I’m not concerned about exposure. None of the tarantulas are showing symptoms of exposure thankfully. I thought from reading threads over the last few years that symptoms would present within a week or two of exposure but I wasn’t completely sure. Could it take a month to show symptoms? More? I have a half dozen tarantulas that I was getting ready to sell when the lice happened and I want to make very very sure that they are fine before I sell them. The quarantine is being lifted on Monday and I don’t expect to have any reexposure issues since the stuff should have been inactive a while ago. I really just want to be sure of health before I do anything else.
sounds like you already had you answer before you asked it. the stuff cant hurt anything since it has no residual effect. and unless you or whoever had lice...(maybe dont wear strangers hats)... were rubbing your heads everywhere it should not be a problem. I get it the need to rub your head onto things is a strong urge but sometimes there's places you should not rub, these include: other people, hot stoves, police officers, knives, biological waste bins form the hospital, lions, also lions, please dont rub your head on lions, oh and your tarantulas(unless they give consent then its ok but make sure to tell them if your using insecticides on your head or not;)).

and no this is not a euphemism its a double entendre its also helpful adive.

Akay91

Arachnopeon
Reading this argument was super helpful for my lice problem. Thanks guys! 😣
Currently telling my 7 year old to stop rubbing her head on things.