Insect ID from egg case

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Can anyone point me in the right direction on this? This is on an oak tree in my backyard. From what I’ve read web worms and bark lice are the two local insects that make webbing on oak around here but I couldn’t find reference to an egg case like this. Anyone have a guess?

3A2FEB28-B1C0-44BE-AB97-5D7AB5D47624.jpeg

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Thanks guys. Did mot expect to find that in my backyard!
I guess the webbing is still just bark lice then.

Last edited:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
@MetalMan2004 here is a female I caught in the process of laying one. Not a great pic because the glass had glare.
17F5310A-B5AD-49FB-9449-013396944833.jpeg

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
@MetalMan2004 here is a female I caught in the process of laying one. Not a great pic because the glass had glare.
View attachment 334126
Thanks a bunch! Now the question is do I leave it there and go hunting for a couple after it hatches or do I attempt to remove it and bring it in to hatch and let most of them go?

I found a second egg case on the same tree so I’m sure there are more close by if I look further.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks a bunch! Now the question is do I leave it there and go hunting for a couple after it hatches or do I attempt to remove it and bring it in to hatch and let most of them go?

I found a second egg case on the same tree so I’m sure there are more close by if I look further.
They shouldn’t hatch until around mid-spring. When I find them on the house I watch them daily and sometimes catch them hatching. Then sometimes I will bring them inside and hatch and keep a few back to raise to adults. They are interesting to watch hatch, just make sure the weather is warm enough before you release the rest. They will eat fruit flies when they hatch out.