Insect hobby question

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What do you think will be the next big thing in the invert hobby? I think it will be isopods and wasp/hornet keeping. Why? well the isopods are very unusual looking and play important roles in the invert hobby as of now. For the wasps/hornets this is a bit more complext. Mainly I think people will get them because they are fascinated by their social structure and the fact they can be easyily obtainable, some species like the paper wasp (at least in the northern states) are very tolerant of people messing with their nests and such.

So what do you think is on the invert horizan?

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well I think keeping wasps/hornets is crazy :D haha I dont know if I would want them.. how would you safely keep them? I find the giant pillbugs quite interesting.. I was actually thinking about looking into those today. I think the True spiders are going to become very popular. there are some amazing specimens out there and alot of people seem to be getting into it. Jumpers seem to be taking off quite a bit. as well as the interest in obtaining Phoneutria sp.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i don't know about the wasps/hornet thingy because they are always flying and I am thinking that they might take up a lot of space to house (considering that they need room to fly around). The isopods? I think that they are neat, but there aren't that many different color morphs. they make a good clean up crew. I m thinking that since more people are studying centipedes now and there are a few species that can be communal, eventually they will breed and get more disperse. Before no one even know where to start looking when sexing a centipede or to determine what species, but now it's different. also, roaches are very active and there are soo many different ones with colors and beautiful markings.
jason

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hopefully maybe velvet worms? IF not That I think social insects have always made an impact on the invert hobby. easier to keep. Personally i would hope for Bee's to make a new big impact, but allot of people don't like them. Huge social stigmata, I know people who keep them in the city's so don't bring that up w/ me.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I like the idea of keeping land crabs. Are there any land crabs that don't require salt water or brackish water at some point in their life cycle? I like certain species of crawdad/crayfish too. There is a HUGE species in Australia. It's protected though. Too much harvesting for food in the past. Adults can be as big as some lobsters I've seen. I don't remembered the site I saw it on.

Andy Gigas

Arachnopeon
I certainly love the idea of the centipede hobby expanding. But, I believe that Roaches will be the next big thing in the invert hobby. (Although they are pretty popular already.) When I began collecting, roaches were the farthest thing from my mind, now they are some of my favorites.:)

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i want to raise krills...
LOL

who knows what will be the next hot inverts :p

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dunno about everyone saying "no" to wasps. Funnylori found an overwintering foundress in her housplants, posted it on here, and had replies on care within five minutes, AND someone who wanted it to start a colony.

Scarp172

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Like nepenthes, I hope it's velvet worms. No idea bout their husbandry though, I would assume keep them a lot like pedes-real moist and such. Bees take a lot more time and study than you'd think too, but I imagine it would be fun in the right places. Oh, and bees have a "stigma" about them, not "stigmata" {D .

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think it will be water bugs/beetles. There are so many different kinds, a lot that are native to the US. I have a big planted tank all ready just need to find some swimmy bugs now :)

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not a bad idea, Arachnocat. :) Blighty has one or two interesting species too. Dysticus marginalis springs to mind.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm with arachnocat. Right now, I think wasp keeping is more of a fascination than a hobby, at least until saftey measures are perfected. There's an article on rearing them in the article section.

I'm going to be researching the care of wasps even more this summer. Right now, I use CD spindles but I want to try a 5 gallon tank. I'll be writing a follow up to the first one I posted and expect that maybe right after acon.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Probably some type of locust, grasshopper, or cricket. The exotic species not feeders.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, that's why i'm thinking that will be the next popular invert, because the USDA will be against it, so offcourse that will make people want them even more ;)

Not me though, you know they can eat and eat and eat...

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's another reason why I said waterbugs, 'cos they're still legal. lol. If they make spidy's illegal I'm movin. :mad:

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not me though, you know they can eat and eat and eat...
HA! You think they're bad? Try rearing hornworm caterpillars. They're a domestic crop pest, and you wouldn't BELIEVE how many tomato plants I went through trying to keep them satisfied. :eek: :evil:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
HA! You think they're bad? Try rearing hornworm caterpillars. They're a domestic crop pest, and you wouldn't BELIEVE how many tomato plants I went through trying to keep them satisfied. :eek: :evil:
There IS an artificial food you can make that will not make them toxic. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

Added by edit

http://www.entm.purdue.edu/Entomology/outreach/recipe/artificialdiet.pdf

I've also heard they can be reared on potato leaves but have yet to try it.

Maybe I should attempt this. :?

Last edited:

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I guess bee's wouldn't ever be a big hit kind of expensive with all the pests they have now.