injured theraphosa spinipes pedipalp

chyguy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have an adult theraphosa spinipes that has an injured left pedipalp in shipment a few weeks back, today i noticed a little what appears to be mold growing on her pedipalp should i try and amputate ? ill try and get a picture later for you all to see. any and all advice will be appreciated thanks cheyenne

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i have an adult theraphosa spinipes that has an injured left pedipalp in shipment a few weeks back, today i noticed a little what appears to be mold growing on her pedipalp should i try and amputate ? ill try and get a picture later for you all to see. any and all advice will be appreciated thanks cheyenne
I wouldn't take it off yourself, most tarantulas if they have a problem with any limb will take it off themselves, saying that though that picture would maybe help :)

chyguy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
here is a pic of her palp there is deffinetly mold there she does not seemed bothered by it... but im bothered by it i guess ill just let it play out and see what happens thanks cheyenne

Attachments

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Although it doesn't look good I personally would just leave her, she will take it off if needed.....

Caramell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was reminded of a description in the TGK of a fungal infection:

For the most part, fungal infections appear as small, cottony tufts in the joints in the legs or between body plates or as more or less dry deformations on the exoskeleton.
-taken straight from pg. 217 of the TKG, revised edition

It says to swab the infected area with "a 1 percent gentian violet solution." But be careful, it stains clothes and is also carcinogenic.
It also states that swamp dweller sp. are prone to fungal infections because of their moist environment(although I just lost the page where it was written).

I hope I was of some help :eek:, I hope your T pulls through!

chyguy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for the advice i think ill try that gentian violet solution i might be able to find it at walgreens thanks again cheyenne