Injured Crested Gecko

NYCreepy Crawler

Arachnopeon
I have a crested gecko with a injury on its head. It gradually grew. Its housed communially. I have now seperated him from the others. Any tips, pointers or advice on how to heal it faster rather then with time? Best ointments out there? Suggested topicals? Every comment welcome! 20200919_232740_resized.jpg

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Might want to look the enclosure over well and determine what the cause was. I had a similar experience with a ball python. Could not figure out for the life of me how his head kept getting cut. One day caught him trying to squeeze through a spot he determined was an escape route (it wasn’t). Fixed the problem. In a months time and a shed or two he was completely healed. I wouldn’t use ointments. Let it scab and give it time is best in my opinion.

NYCreepy Crawler

Arachnopeon
This makes sense to me! I didnt think of the escape thing. I had seen the geckos one on top of another and tought they were fighting while mating or whatever but like i said i did seperate him, also thanks for the advice. i will first, let the wound scab up a bit and after once it dries out apply a bit of ointment. I know for a fact that the ointment isnt harmful to them because i took the same gecko to a vet for prolapse and they fixed him up and then was perscribed an ointment for him. 😁

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
@Poonjab never said ointments are harmful to the crested gecko, only that HE (assuming poonjab's a male) wouldn't use them...

Kichimark

Arachnopeon
Just saw this right now. You mention communally? Males should not be housed together. I have housed females together without issue but the males will fight. Is this one a male and do you have others?

But, seeing how I am late to see this again, how is the gecko doing now?

The only thing I have done for an injury on a crested gecko was to use a hydrogen peroxide solution when I removed a very tough dried skin on a gecko I rescued (one of my students gave it to me). Pretty much the stuck shed was digging into the skin and cut through it on the right arm (think of a really tight arm band that dug inside). Once I put the gecko in a humid hide to loosen the old shed, I removed the shed and used the solution over the next few days with a q-tip. She never got an infection and recovered nicely.

NYCreepy Crawler

Arachnopeon
Yeah, outta 5 2 are males and 3 females. He is doing better now, all healed up! I will get a updated photo. It took 3 days to close up and 2 days of topical to restore outer skin. This male was the one who was getting the girls prego. Now i know to keep the males seperated i had 1 extra female for them thinking i could avoid the problem but i guess not, thank you so much for advise i also have hydrogen peroxide which can help clean it area.