Injured Carapace

KingCarnage

Arachnopeon
While feeding my P. Metallica I accidentally dropped the feed tongs and they landed on her causing a carapace injury where she’s leaking hemolymph. She’s maybe 1 3/4 inches so still young. She scurried away and hid, but I caught a glimpse of it as she was running. Any advice? The injury is located next to her legs kind of centered in between her eyes and her abdomen.

Attachments

aenigmatica8

Arachnopeon
While feeding my P. Metallica I accidentally dropped the feed tongs and they landed on her causing a carapace injury where she’s leaking hemolymph. She’s maybe 1 3/4 inches so still young. She scurried away and hid, but I caught a glimpse of it as she was running. Any advice? The injury is located next to her legs kind of centered in between her eyes and her abdomen.
Aw I’m sorry to hear that. How much hemolymph leaked? Make absolutely sure she is well hydrated. Sometimes it will dry up and clot to a degree on its own. Since it’s a sling, it would be hard to use superglue or anything like that.

KingCarnage

Arachnopeon
Aw I’m sorry to hear that. How much hemolymph leaked? Make absolutely sure she is well hydrated. Sometimes it will dry up and clot to a degree on its own. Since it’s a sling, it would be hard to use superglue or anything like that.
As far as I’m aware it’s a bead about the size of a ball point pen tip.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
I have heard of using corn starch to stop hemolymph leaks but not sure if that is only for ruptured abdomens or not. Maybe some old timers could chime in on wether that would be safe for a carapace injury?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Cornstarch does help slow down the bleeding, but that enclosure seems quite large and the substrate is not ideal because of wood chips. The wood chips can potentially cut or harm your little sling. And the ventilation holes are quite large, so it could pose as a potential escape route for it. You have a lot of problems on your hands right now, but you should try to help stop the bleeding by adding the cornstarch to the injury because it's not going to stop by itself unless it was a leg that was lost/injured. After that, you should redo the entire enclosure into a proper set-up which their are many thread on this forums for that.

KingCarnage

Arachnopeon
That’s good at least! That’s a pretty small amount so I’m hopeful that it will clot on its own.
Update I used a small amount of cornstarch and she’s stopped leaking hemolymph, she seems healthy now and is acting normally. I’m going to wait a few days before trying to feed her again and keep her good and hydrated.

KingCarnage

Arachnopeon
Cornstarch does help slow down the bleeding, but that enclosure seems quite large and the substrate is not ideal because of wood chips. The wood chips can potentially cut or harm your little sling. And the ventilation holes are quite large, so it could pose as a potential escape route for it. You have a lot of problems on your hands right now, but you should try to help stop the bleeding by adding the cornstarch to the injury because it's not going to stop by itself unless it was a leg that was lost/injured. After that, you should redo the entire enclosure into a proper set-up which their are many thread on this forums for that.

KingCarnage

Arachnopeon
I am aware that she is in a juvenile sized enclosure mostly because I couldn’t find anything smaller, the air holes themselves look large in the picture but her full leg span is longer than the full group of air holes are wide (each individual air hole is about 1/8 of an inch). I will also change the substrate as soon as possible, thank you for your advice with the cornstarch and enclosure. She’s stopped bleeding and is acting normal

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
I am aware that she is in a juvenile sized enclosure mostly because I couldn’t find anything smaller, the air holes themselves look large in the picture but her full leg span is longer than the full group of air holes are wide (each individual air hole is about 1/8 of an inch). I will also change the substrate as soon as possible, thank you for your advice with the cornstarch and enclosure. She’s stopped bleeding and is acting normal
No problem! Glad to help. And really glad to hear the leak stopped!

aenigmatica8

Arachnopeon
Update I used a small amount of cornstarch and she’s stopped leaking hemolymph, she seems healthy now and is acting normally. I’m going to wait a few days before trying to feed her again and keep her good and hydrated.
I’m happy to hear that! Thankfully slings molt frequently so next molt she’ll be good to go probably!