Injured BP

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
So hey guys. I was already going to take my adult male ( it think ) BP to the vet this week to get him/her probed. But today while I was walking him outside, he was perfectly fine until I noticed his tongue was bright red and wasn't forked. So then I grabbed him closer to inspect him closer; little dribbles of blood ran on my jacket and his tongue was still red and was one line. So then I freaked out and assumed part of his tongue had somehow been chopped off. Then when he flickered his tongue again it was regular colour (pink) again and it was double forked. So I have no idea what happened. I monitor very closely when he plays outside, I carry him 90% of the time so im pretty confused now. Because his tongue WAS bleeding, anyways Imma take him to the vet anyways. It will be his first time. Thanks guys :) (also my A. Genic molted for the first time ive had him)

basin79

ArachnoGod
Blood means a cut in the mouth or an internal injury.

Why where you walking him outside?

Striking against the enclosure can cause teeth to be knocked out (they get replaced). With you handling your snake hasn't been fed with 48 hours so it can't be that.

Well worth making your vet appointment earlier if you can so if he has hurt his mouth a vet can see if he requires any treatment.

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
Blood means a cut in the mouth or an internal injury.

Why where you walking him outside?

Striking against the enclosure can cause teeth to be knocked out (they get replaced). With you handling your snake hasn't been fed with 48 hours so it can't be that.

Well worth making your vet appointment earlier if you can so if he has hurt his mouth a vet can see if he requires any treatment.
Okay thanks, I walk him outside because since he's in a tank all day I feel bad for him and think that he should get fresh air.

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
I noticed while watching him in his tank; his head is out of his cave, (which is normal) but his head is quivering and wobbling a lot. He is a normal so he's not like a spider or anything. I have never seen it on him before, I also have decided perhaps I will wait a little before taking him to the vet. Thanks guys :(

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In the wild, ball pythons live in very tight quarters, under ground. They hunt under ground and only leave when they have too. They feel safe and comfortable in tight quarters. Leaving the safety of a borrow is a stressful situation that they would avoid if possible. They are most active during the night. That is when they hunt and are active. I have a female that I is extremely easy to handle. I had to work with her a lot when I first got her, so she is very easy to handle. She has a history of going on hunger strikes. I love handling her, but I have to be careful because if I handle her too much she wont eat. In fact at one point she went on a mini hunger strike after I had been getting her out every other day. Hunger strikes are one of the first sign of stress. I needed to change in order to get her eating again and keep her healthy. Luckily I have a few other species that seem to enjoy getting out and about.

I brought this up for a reason. Head wobbling is a sign of stress, even in normal ball pythons.The wobble in spider and other related morphs get worse when stressed. The horror stories and terrible videos you can see on you tube showing snakes that wobble so much they can barley eat are always rescues, the most stressed animals imaginable. A normal with a head wobble is a huge sign that your snake is extremely stressed. If it is an injury to the mouth, you will need to keep a close eye on it. Infections in the mouth are life or death situations for snakes. I would also leave it alone for a few weeks. Some ball pythons deal with our attention better than others, but they all really just want to be left alone. I only get my ball pythons out once or twice a week. I can't imagine that they would ever want to be out side during the day. Open spaces stress them out.

A very helpful article. It's about getting a snake off a hunger strike but it should also help get your snakes stress level down.

https://jkrballstreetjournal.com/20...em-feeders-get-your-ball-python-eating-again/

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
In the wild, ball pythons live in very tight quarters, under ground. They hunt under ground and only leave when they have too. They feel safe and comfortable in tight quarters. Leaving the safety of a borrow is a stressful situation that they would avoid if possible. They are most active during the night. That is when they hunt and are active. I have a female that I is extremely easy to handle. I had to work with her a lot when I first got her, so she is very easy to handle. She has a history of going on hunger strikes. I love handling her, but I have to be careful because if I handle her too much she wont eat. In fact at one point she went on a mini hunger strike after I had been getting her out every other day. Hunger strikes are one of the first sign of stress. I needed to change in order to get her eating again and keep her healthy. Luckily I have a few other species that seem to enjoy getting out and about.

I brought this up for a reason. Head wobbling is a sign of stress, even in normal ball pythons.The wobble in spider and other related morphs get worse when stressed. The horror stories and terrible videos you can see on you tube showing snakes that wobble so much they can barley eat are always rescues, the most stressed animals imaginable. A normal with a head wobble is a huge sign that your snake is extremely stressed. If it is an injury to the mouth, you will need to keep a close eye on it. Infections in the mouth are life or death situations for snakes. I would also leave it alone for a few weeks. Some ball pythons deal with our attention better than others, but they all really just want to be left alone. I only get my ball pythons out once or twice a week. I can't imagine that they would ever want to be out side during the day. Open spaces stress them out.

A very helpful article. It's about getting a snake off a hunger strike but it should also help get your snakes stress level down.

https://jkrballstreetjournal.com/20...em-feeders-get-your-ball-python-eating-again/
Okay thanks, jeez I never thought he was that stressed. He has never missed a meal in the year I've had him and seemed to be fine while being handled and taken outside; in fact after around 10 minutes when he got more accustomed he would really stretch out more and look/sniff around. He is super calmed and of course has been stressed before to a degree but never like that I thought. Thanks a lot and I'll leave him alone for a week or so. By the way he only wobbled for about 3 mins.

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
Okay so I checked again with someone else; He did look a little defensive and his head was not "wobbly" in the sense it was shaking, but it wasn't staying completely still and more of shifty a little. If he bleeds again ill take him to the vet. But for now ill just leave him alone. Thanks guys.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I noticed while watching him in his tank; his head is out of his cave, (which is normal) but his head is quivering and wobbling a lot. He is a normal so he's not like a spider or anything. I have never seen it on him before, I also have decided perhaps I will wait a little before taking him to the vet. Thanks guys :(
Not sure why you're going to wait to take him to the vet for a once over. Especially with him bleeding out of his mouth of no obvious reason.

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
Not sure why you're going to wait to take him to the vet for a once over. Especially with him bleeding out of his mouth of no obvious reason.
Because I have decided with my mom (I am 12 with not a lot of money) that I should wait a little because like I said don't have a lot of money; I don't want to drain my assets if nothing is wrong and he just had a small cut. If he has even one more dribblet of blood im taking him straight there. Also we have put a black blanket over his tank to reduce his stress.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Because I have decided with my mom (I am 12 with not a lot of money) that I should wait a little because like I said don't have a lot of money; I don't want to drain my assets if nothing is wrong and he just had a small cut. If he has even one more dribblet of blood im taking him straight there. Also we have put a black blanket over his tank to reduce his stress.
I'm confused as in you're opening post you said you where already taking your snake to the vets anyway.

Fingers crossed your snake had just yawned and caught a tooth on a decoration.