Infrared bulbs vs. "Moonlight" (blue/violet) bulbs

Maurelius

Arachnopeon
Are there a great number of pros/cons to these bulbs? I know most people use red tinted lights when they "hunt" for T's, but I wasn't sure if those were actually infrared bulbs.

Also, do the moonlight bulbs have any merit?

Thanks,
Maure

Somewhat unrelated, but still important: Would the smell of cigar(s) or of lemon pine oil be detrimental to the health of any T's in the nearby vicinity? I have few old bookshelves that I've been airing out (with pine oil wipe-downs) to remove the embedded cigar smell from.

WeezyTheAvic

Arachnopeon
I dont know about the light thing good question? I know theres a guy on youtube that uses leds for display lighting. The pine oil is probably worse on ts than old cigar smell. They use pine oils in organic pesticides so i stay away from all pine. Not to say its going to hurt them or that cigar smell wont either just my thoughts on it.

WeezyTheAvic

Arachnopeon
hey i dont know how to put a link up it could be becuse i use my ps3 or just stupid anyway look up TalonAWD's tarantula room tour should come up he has a few t videos

Last edited:

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LEDs for T. lighting? Do you have a link for that..would be nice to see it.
I have LED strip lighting from IKEA in my cabinet..

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50119407

I have a pic somewhere.. maybe after the kids Trick-or-Treat I'll find it and post it but I have 1 or 2 per level and on the shelf itself so it's more a back lighting situation. The prior setup I had had them overhead and it's well enough light but I wanted to see the T's more and moving them to the bottom of the shelf they were on allows this back lighting effect and you can still see them with a flashlight if need be.

Mine on are a rotary timer so they are on for 6-8 hours depending on season and it automatically comes on and goes out per that setting.

eporter

Arachnopeon
hey i am using a violet/black light bulb to heat the air in my T's enclosure and was wondering if they would actually see it compared to the red ones?? it doesn't seem to mind it on, it doesn't hide from it like it does a flash light....just wondering about the merits of both, my LPS couldn't tell me...

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey i am using a violet/black light bulb to heat the air in my T's enclosure and was wondering if they would actually see it compared to the red ones?? it doesn't seem to mind it on, it doesn't hide from it like it does a flash light....just wondering about the merits of both, my LPS couldn't tell me...
If in "Black light" you mean the bulbs, tubes that are around this time of year that make things glow then I would remove it. Those emit UV, mostly UVA, which while primarily safe for humans (long exposure can cause skin cancer) it disturbs the T and could harm what little eyesight it has.

If your talking about a "Moonlight bulb" which is just typically a tinted blue bulb that is incandescent then it's better but red is the part of the spectrum they do not, to our knowledge, see very well and can be used as a nighttime "peak" light.

Again, read up on UV "Black Light" and T's here and abroad and while it's probably OK for a short term and is nice for scorpions since they glow, long term exposure can harm your pets.

eporter

Arachnopeon
okay, i have a moonlight bulb, normal bulb that is purple. the only thing that my LPS was saying was that it was an esthetic choice...if red is less easier to see for them and produces the same heat then i should probably switch right??

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
okay, i have a moonlight bulb, normal bulb that is purple. the only thing that my LPS was saying was that it was an esthetic choice...if red is less easier to see for them and produces the same heat then i should probably switch right??
I have used both early on however I never used them for heating and I would bet what heat you are getting isn't necessarily beneficial to the T's.

Sure it heats the surrounding air but if you don't have a way to keep contained that warmer air there's really no purpose. It's like misting a T's enclosure. Sure it gives it a massive "spike" of humidity but if you have the proper ventilation for good husbandry it will typically dissipate and drop to normal RH (Relative Humidity) within the hour or two.

This past winter in Ohio was brutally could and as long as I kept the room they are housed in the 70F range all was well. This year since I've employed a cabinet I'll be getting some Flexwatt "Heat Tape" here within a few days and have already insulated it with 1/2" styro and will place the heat tape on the sides and using a Thermostat will regulate the area inside the cabinet.

Again, since I went off topic a but, what I feel you may be getting from the bulb as well the possible intrusion factor to the T's makes it not really worth it. Sure it's only a few bucks but you may try to heat the entire room or cabinet which will end up being a more beneficial heating as well controlled and no reason for pesky lights in the midnight hours trying to keep them warm.

One rule given here and I've adopted early on with T's (now just over 1 year and 10 T's going strong) is "If your comfortable, your T is probably as well". It could be better or optimal but at what lengths do we go to make it as optimal as possible?

Have fun and do some more research on alternate heating styles (radiant room heating, small room ceramic and even heat tape) and enjoy your pets!

:D