Inform me so I may make the best decision

toast4nat

Arachnosquire
Choosing my first tarantula=I'm going crazy!

I know it'll be a ways off before I can get one, but I'm still mentally planning how I'm going to prepare to have a T in my life. The only thing is now, after reading many different threads, I'm somewhat befuddled as to which T to choose.

I'm in love with the brachypelma smithi, auratum, boehmei, and emilia so I was originally going to get one of those. But I'm hoping to get a sub adult because they're so slow growing. But sub adults of those breeds are few and far between on most dealers sites. Any suggestions as to other T's that would fall under the following categories:

1. Terrestrial (edit)
2. Docile
3. Low maintenance (as in doesn't need ridiculous humidity requirements)

Last edited:

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can get a Avicularia. Avicularia, or Metallica. Or you can go terrestrial and get a G. Pulchripes, or Pulchra. If you want to can go to a LPS and buy a Rose Hair and then after a month or two then buy some slings 1.5" B.Smithi. emilia. boehemi ect.

toast4nat

Arachnosquire
You can get a Avicularia. Avicularia, or Metallica. Or you can go terrestrial and get a G. Pulchripes, or Pulchra. If you want to can go to a LPS and buy a Rose Hair and then after a month or two then buy some slings 1.5" B.Smithi. emilia. boehemi ect.
I fail at life. I wrote arboreal when I meant terrestrial. I edited it. I originally did like the Avics, but I don't like the ideal of jumping and that freaks my husband out too.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Some people may not consider Acanthoscuria geniculata a good choice for a 1st tarantula, but in my opinion, it comes pretty close to what you are looking for. It is terrestrial, more likely to flick hairs than bite, and grows like a weed. Plus it is gorgeous! Here is a pic of me holding the one I used to have. I wish I had a pic where I wasn't holding it because I don't want to give the impression that this is something that should be done. No matter how "docile" any wild creature is, it is still a wild creature.

Last edited:

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Honestly, I'd go for E. campestratus, the Pink Zebra Beauty. Mine is the most laid back t I've ever seen. She's a chill little dudette. And good-looking, too!

Rue

Arachnoknight
I went through the same decision making process a few weeks ago...still waiting for it to warm up before mine get shipped...but I decided on the G. pulchra.

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
any Grammostola or Aphonopelma

the E. Campestratus would be a good choice too.

Dreadz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I second the E. campestratus also known as the Pink Zebra Beauty. I picked one up last Saturday at my local reptile show. When i was transferring it into her new cage, she walked strait onto my hand and seemed like she didn't want to be put inside her new home. I would also recommend a B.albopilosum as they are for the most part docile and fairly easy to find an adult or sub-adult.

RJ2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
GBB (C.cyanopubescens) or a N.Chromatus

toast4nat

Arachnosquire
I'd love to have GBB but the pulchripes is standing out the most to me right now, and kenthebugguy has 4 4"+ females right now! Can't go wrong with that. But that probably wont be the case in a few months. Who knows, maybe by the time summer rolls around there will be a larger selection of brachys.

---edit---

Oh snap, my slightly arachnophobic husband just saw a picture of a freshly molted, fuzzy to the max a. versicolor and said "I like those, I wouldn't mind you having that." Score. Total change of direction now.

Last edited:

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
G.Rosea was my first T, and I recommend that one whole heartedly.. but breathtaking specimen Big Dragonfly I have yet to get me one of those.

Get yourself the RCF (red colourform) rosea more colour and the price is almost the same.

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Some people may not consider Acanthoscuria geniculata a good choice for a 1st tarantula, but in my opinion, it comes pretty close to what you are looking for. It is terrestrial, more likely to flick hairs than bite, and grows like a weed. Plus it is gorgeous! Here is a pic of me holding the one I used to have. I wish I had a pic where I wasn't holding it because I don't want to give the impression that this is something that should be done. No matter how "docile" any wild creature is, it is still a wild creature.

This is on a top 10 Ts for beginners List

3. Acanthoscurria geniculata (Brazilian Giant White Knee Tarantula)
This specie is velvety black with white/yellow stripes on its legs. It can grow quickly to a huge 8" leg span with bulky body. You will often find your genic hungry, ready to eat and crushing its prey in multiple bites - the crunching sound is quite entertaining. Ok, that's kinda not true. You will find your genic ALWAYS hungry and ready to eat - there is just no limit to its stomach, probably the most hungry specie in the top 10. It has no special humidity requirement but seems to enjoy a bit of misting. This is one of the best specie as a display Tarantula because it simply does not understand the concept of hiding and has no problem hanging out in the open, regardless of the many eyes staring at it. The biggest draw back is that this specie loves to flick extremely itchy hair at disturbance.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i really reccomend " a place for pets" in burien.. i got my 1st t there... a female l. parahybana i named lunchbox. very healthy lil pig lol. the store has a TON of t species to choose from at good prices.. also you can try BRANDON at captive inverts.com out of seattle/everett. tell him steven referred ya.. thats where i got my p.regalis and others from... very good with business and extremely helpful/ knowledgeable .. hell have ANYTHING YOU NEED

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Whichever ya choose id go to a place for pets in burien or to brandon at captive inverts.com out of seattle. tell him steven referred ya. he has anything ya want. very knowledgeable too.

fugimugim

Arachnopeon
nhandu coloratovillosus

Hey i was wondering if any one had experinece with this T. It's very skittish but yesterday it struck me on the hand without any warning or threat pose. I was doing routine maintence when i felt the pain. Lucky for it was a dry bite but my hand is really sore. I keep it at around 75% Humidity and the temp is 25-29 celsius. Any tips would be helpful ..? :)

Also i break out in lumps all over my body and find it hard to breathe when i get the hairs in my hand. I've noticed the Salmon pink hairs make me break out in a severe case and i was so uncomfortable i wanted to get knocked out.. seriously i really take a bad reaction to those hairs.

Does this mean i have a chance of dying if the venom had've been injected into me.. Idont want to learn the hard way. If i am allergic im not going to give up my T's there my life i have 8 beautiful T's

Advice please........

Attachments

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get some dice. Assign the species you are interested in a number. Roll dice.

Put the species names on slips of paper. Fold. Place into hat. Shake and mix the names and then draw a name.

Keep in mind this is your first T... just your first... they are addicting...

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
get some dice. Assign the species you are interested in a number. Roll dice.

Put the species names on slips of paper. Fold. Place into hat. Shake and mix the names and then draw a name.

Keep in mind this is your first t... Just your first... They are addicting...
+1,000,000