Info on keeping GBE? I'm very interested.

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
You can take 10 P.cambridgei owners and read about 10 different kind of experiences with such specie, for instance.
You are right. But, when 10 people give you 10 different advices or recommandations, it is for nothing, because these information are not valid at all times. Each T is different, so, basic important rules are the same, like hight humidity here, the rest is for nothing and the best way is to get its own experience. If someone write that his blondi is calm and the second that his blondi is like small devil, both are right, but value of this info is zero. You T will be calm or not. How usefull is it? I do not need to ask to know it...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You are right. But, when 10 people give you 10 different advices or recommandations, it is for nothing, because these information are not valid at all times. Each T is different, so, basic important rules are the same, like hight humidity here, the rest is for nothing and the best way is to get its own experience. If someone write that his blondi is calm and the second that his blondi is like small devil, both are right, but value of this info is zero. You T will be calm or not. How usefull is it? I do not need to ask to know it...
No, sorry because I wasn't 'clear' enough: with different experience I didn't wanted to say a different opinion in 'care/keeping/parameters etc' but a difference in behavioural, temperament etc experience :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As you can see by yourself, the first guy tried to aswer without the basic knowledge what GBE is
Your statement is wrong. In point of fact @RonnyT replied was not sure if the person meant GBB or GBE (neither were you). He did the smart thing and asked for clarification rather than assume the OP meant GBE.

The irony in your disparaging remark about @RonnyT asking if OP meant GBB, is that you asked the very same question, that is, you too didn't assume what GBE stood for in the OPs mind.

SO...why are you giving @RonnyT crap? That's plane rude, wrong and a whole lot of things, none of which are positive.

You owe @RonnyT an apology.

Few people on this forum use GBE.

Last edited:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
@WillEagle Yeah, I’m sure you’ll find good stuff at Repticon. In my personal opinion, Acanthoscurria geniculata is the best beginner “Large” tarantula. But I’m sure you’ll enjoy any Nhandu or Lasiodora as well.

RonnyT

Arachnosquire
Your statement is wrong. In point of fact @RonnyT replied was not sure if the person meant GBB or GBE (neither were you). He did the smart thing and asked for clarification rather than assume the OP meant GBE.

The irony in your disparaging remark about @RonnyT asking if OP meant GBB, is that you asked the very same question, that is, you too didn't assume what GBE stood for in the OPs mind.

SO...why are you giving @RonnyT crap? That's plane rude, wrong and a whole lot of things, none of which are positive.

You owe @RonnyT an apology.

Few people on this forum use GBE.
Yeah thanks man, I have no idea that guy was going on about. Also I have NEVER heard the abbreviation GBE, the more you know I guess.

WillEagle

Arachnopeon
@WillEagle Yeah, I’m sure you’ll find good stuff at Repticon. In my personal opinion, Acanthoscurria geniculata is the best beginner “Large” tarantula. But I’m sure you’ll enjoy any Nhandu or Lasiodora as well.
Ooooooo Acanthoscurriageniculata is gorgeous!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Other large (sililarly sized to the LP) ones that are more beginner friendly and IMO, better looking would be A. geniculata, N. chromatus or even G. pulchripes. Genics get to the same 8" range, chromatus and pulchripes reach that 7" range...all grow to large bulky as females, genic and chromatus grow as fast as an LP (pulchripes are slower growing) and all 3 share the same voracious appetite as well.
Ooooooo Acanthoscurriageniculata is gorgeous!
You can't go wrong with Lasiodora parahybana or any of the species cold blood mentioned. Pick whatever suits your taste and budget.

If you can't decide, you can always get more than one! :D

I love my genic. He's my little murder tank.

I saw some REALLY big stirmi’s at Repticon. They were just so drab to me. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess, but I was woefully unimpressed.
When they are freshly molted, they have a nice velvety brown coloring. But yes, the appeal is mainly their size, not their coloring.

I am already pretty sensitive to tarantula hairs, so despite the appeal of having a massive spider, I will probably steer clear of Theraphosa.

WillEagle

Arachnopeon
I haven't had the "pleasure" of getting some big spider hair on me yet. How does that feel? I have weed wacked some elephant ears with no shirt or shoes on. HUGE mistake! Had to call poison control. The fibers structure of that plant breaks off like fiberglass. It felt like a fire on my skin that almost tickled, it's hard to explain, but it was horrible! The solution they told me was simply sugar water.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I haven't had the "pleasure" of getting some big spider hair on me yet. How does that feel?
In all honesty is nothing serious (save, obviously, for the eyes or if you breath those) except if you are particularly sensitive to some specie hairs (btw isn't written that always genus Theraphosa ones are the worst).

I personally appreciate, on my hand, the setae of my M.robustum: the hand turns red like crazy, and there's a subdle itchy feeling... I like that :)

Pelorix

Arachnopeon
Considering in a few months on getting a GBE. I do not trust any other sites on the web when it comes to spider keeping. Could someone enlighten me on this species?
I don't have any but I would recommend you try looking into creating a "bioactive" terrarium set up for them. It might be cool and fun. You can use isopods to keep the high humidity substrate free from mold and life plants are cool. I am building one for my Dentrobates Tinctorius (poison dart frogs).

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I haven't had the "pleasure" of getting some big spider hair on me yet. How does that feel?
It depends on the species and the person's own sensitivity. (The reaction is not necessarily instant; it usually takes a day for me to start itching.) Keep in mind that sensitivity can increase with additional exposures. It is entirely possible that you will have little or no reaction early in your keeping, only to wake up from that dream years later.

Theraphosa are widely believed to have the worst hairs in the hobby, and they aren't shy about using them.

I have not been haired by Theraphosa, because I don't own one, but whenever I am careless with maintenance and come in contact with hairs, itchy bumps develop on the affected area. The itching persists for a week or two, and the only way to relieve it is to run hot water over my hands.

The worst was when I got lazy and decided to clean out my Avic's old enclosure (after she passed away) without wearing gloves. I pulled out all of the webbing with my bare hands, and they itched like crazy for over two weeks. I will never do that again.

I found this video on YouTube describing the experience of being haired by a Theraphosa.

WillEagle

Arachnopeon
I don't have any but I would recommend you try looking into creating a "bioactive" terrarium set up for them. It might be cool and fun. You can use isopods to keep the high humidity substrate free from mold and life plants are cool. I am building one for my Dentrobates Tinctorius (poison dart frogs).
I saw a bioactive Viv online that was 8ft tall and 2ft. wide. It was like a side of a rainforest tree. Was amazing! Probably cost a few grand tho loll. BTW.....where in the love of mother and child did you get a poison dart frog!?? Arnt they very endangered and illegal to keep?

It depends on the species and the person's own sensitivity. (The reaction is not necessarily instant; it usually takes a day for me to start itching.) Keep in mind that sensitivity can increase with additional exposures. It is entirely possible that you will have little or no reaction early in your keeping, only to wake up from that dream years later.

Theraphosa are widely believed to have the worst hairs in the hobby, and they aren't shy about using them.

I have not been haired by Theraphosa, because I don't own one, but whenever I am careless with maintenance and come in contact with hairs, itchy bumps develop on the affected area. The itching persists for a week or two, and the only way to relieve it is to run hot water over my hands.

The worst was when I got lazy and decided to clean out my Avic's old enclosure (after she passed away) without wearing gloves. I pulled out all of the webbing with my bare hands, and they itched like crazy for over two weeks. I will never do that again.

I found this video on YouTube describing the experience of being haired by a Theraphosa.
Holy crap! Good to know. I will definitely be using gloves when working with my Ts. The last thing I want is to itch for a few weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
Yeah thanks man, I have no idea that guy was going on about. Also I have NEVER heard the abbreviation GBE, the more you know I guess.
This is exactly what I mean. Web full of expert always willing to help you... But they do not know basic abbreviations and are not able to check Google before writing something.

Holy crap! Good to know. I will definitely be using gloves when working with my Ts. The last thing I want is to itch for a few weeks.
Yes, better to be sure. The best would be to buy beekeeper suite. And if you would add also Finger Gauntlets, you do not have to be worry at all, you can touch your T without any problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
H

Re: urticating hairs.
When I started 3,5 years ago, I only got some itching from Brachypelma hairs. I ended up selling all my Brachys because when I now come in contact with hairs of this genus I actually get blisters, pain, itching and redness for weeks. Weeks.
And I had two that were kicking hairs if the neighbors slam their front door.
So while it is not life threatening (although what the reaction would be when i accidentally breathe some Brachy hairs in is scary to think of), it can be a major problem. Don't go looking for trouble by handling or being careless with cleaning. It may save you some trouble later ;)

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
This is exactly what I mean. Web full of expert always willing to help you... But they do not know basic abbreviations and are not able to check Google before writing something.
GBE is not a "basic" abbreviation. It is not commonly used.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
Basic abbreviations? You yourself had to ask for clarification. Why are you making a nonissue into an issue? This is becoming so petty. I'm sure the OP is sick of all the arguing on this thread, let's just drop it and continue on our separate ways.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Moderator note: That's enough bickering about whether GBE is a "basic abbreviation." Furthermore, it is possible to disagree with advice or opinions without personally attacking those offering them.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Arnt they very endangered and illegal to keep?
Yes and no. There's a large community of PDF keepers in Europe and the USA. Go visit dendroboards. We've been keeping and breeding PDFs for decades.

WillEagle

Arachnopeon
Yes and no. There's a large community of PDF keepers in Europe and the USA. Go visit dendroboards. We've been keeping and breeding PDFs for decades.
I just got back from repticon and my buddy had some and explained that captive breeds you can have. Just don't feed them fire ants loll.