info on GBB (green bottle blue) pls

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hi

i just bought a GBB home, and i now need some info about the species fom you guys...

like the latin name
how big they get
what setup they like best
humidity?
what i should feed it

not sure if it is a male or female yet, its about 3 inch legspan, but really tiny and not bulky at all, so just wandering how big they get?

thanks guys

j_hicks1984

Arachnopeon
Greenbottle Blue (Chromatopelma cyanopubescens)

Type: New World Terrestrial

Diet Spiderlings: Pinhead Crickets and Flightless Fruit Flies.

Larger Specimens: Crickets, Mealworms, Superworms or a Pinky Mouse thrown in for variety.

Full Grown Size: 6 Inches

Growth: Medium

Temperature: 75 to 80?F

Humidity Low: 60 - 70%

Temperament: Not defensive but very skittish

Housing: Floor space is more important than height.

Substrate: Potting Soil/Peat Moss, Vermiculite, Bed-A-Beast, Jungle Mix
Experience Level 5

Taken from http://www.arachnopets.com/tarantulas/tcaresheets/ccyanopubescensc.htm

Now surely it would have been quicker for you and me if you had just looked on the very site these forums are on? :)

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Greenbottles are great. I have a 3 inch juvie and it is wonderful!! They are hearty eaters, they web a lot, they do need to have a hide provided, although they don't use it a lot. They are very fast movers, so use care when rehousing. I don't mist mine, but they do need a water dish, and they like warmth. They grow quickely, and they are very interesting to watch. You will enjoy it!!!!

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
omg 6 inches????

omg, you sure they grow to 6 inches and can eat pinky mice?? coz the guy in the pet store said they dont get much bigger then the one i have...:?

<EDIT> it im not lisening to that guy anymore :mad:

btw thanks for the info :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As with many care sheets, I would not rely on them too much. GBB do much better in drier conditions and there has been evidence that keeping them in humid conditions is not good for them. Their come from arid scrub lands and should not be kept in such high humidity as the care sheet recommends.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a female who is probably about 3-4". These guys do like it dry. I give her a water dish, but NEVER mist. I've heard that consistently high humidity levels can cause death because like Windchaser said they come from scrub land. I keep mine at room temp (which is 70-80F here depending on my landlord's mood that day). They are also "semi-arboreal" (though I don't like that term) and tend to climb up in the scrub trees and live somewhat off the ground. For this reason, mine has a small leafy fake "tree" in her kritter keeper that she loves to climb and web. They are extensive webbers and will web up the side of the tank that they live in. They are hearty eaters and somwhat faster growers. They get about 5" at most with mature males being smaller obviously.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep my GBB on dry substrate with a light misting once a week and a nice shallow water dish. You love this species, they are very cool.

Its best not to listen to pet shop guys, most of the time they don't really know what they are talking about. Next time do your researcg before you get the spider:)