info Acanthophrynus coronatus

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
plz give me any info on this Acanthophrynus coronatus how big it get etc etc..also ive never had whip scorpions what their life span..whats the most popular speices,also have u ever been pinched by one

Chromarco

Arachnopeon
Information about Acanthophrynus coronatus

Hi, I´m from León, Guanajuato, Mexico, and well, A. coronatus is the most biggest specie of whip spider in the world, the length of its body is almost 2 inches (5 cms.) long, and the legspan is about 7 inches (18 cms.) long, but their anteniform legs reach the amazing 16 inches (40 cms.) long!! Their lifespan?? Almost 7 years, they change their skin once a year when they are adults, they hunt and eat a lot of invertebrates and even little vertebrates, when they are disturbed produce´s a sound whit a stridulatory organ called "lira", in fact this the only specie of whip spider that can produce a sound, I have a lot of them, from adults to babies, they are amazing and beautiful!! Here some pictures: 1_mami_y_babies.jpg A. coronatus.jpg ambli 4.jpg am 1.jpg am 2.jpg
plz give me any info on this Acanthophrynus coronatus how big it get etc etc..also ive never had whip scorpions what their life span..whats the most popular speices,also have u ever been pinched by one

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Truly a spectacular species! Thanks for the info and pics.....

smashtoad

Arachnopeon
Coronatus

Hi all...

I have been looking into the possibility of bringing coronatus into the states, but it apparently is not that easy due to Mexicos export laws. If Todd Gearheart could get these...he'd be doing it.

I have kept Damon and Het. batesii, and just love these freakin things. Unfortunately, early this summer the temp in my herp room got too hot, and I lost ALL my amblys, three adult diadema (one momma had several babies), and a trio of young batesii I got from Sam Floyd. I was pretty bummed. Due to space constraints and other projects, I have decided not to keep any more amblys until I can get some coronatus...after all, it is the king.

As much as these guys move around at night, I would think a pair of coronatus wouldn't be done justice in anything smaller than a 55 gallon. The antenneform whips would be close to half the width of a 55 spread out, so you get my point...they are huge. You would not be able to see their hunting techniques using the whips if they were cramped up. They "herd" prey towards themselves by tapping behind the prey...I've seen it more than once in diadema. Not sure about batesii, as it hunts with it's body held high off the ground, whereas diadema is a serious wall hugger. I was so looking forward to having adult batesii...freakin sucks.

They are very active at night, and if you have good moon lights they make awesome display animals after the lights go out. Of course, since you are usually alone watching tv or something late at night, the display is mainly for you, but still, they are amazing critters. Easily one of the very coolest things I have ever kept.

If anyone knows of a way to get them from Mexico to here...I'm in. There are dudes breeding them down there...how do we do it?

Chromarco...can you comment on this? I'll bet you could get $50 all day long for your babies...I know I would pay it.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
sorry to reawaken an old thread, but have we successfully gotten these in to the states yet? I have been drooling to get my hands on one and would do anything to have them.

smashtoad

Arachnopeon
Dude...if you're going to awaken an old one...this is the one to awaken.

I've heard nothing, unfortunately. I keep looking at that pic with all those babies...drives me crazy.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Are you aware the legspan and whipspan of Acanthophrynus is many inches shorter than Heterophrynus batesii? Acanthophrynus has a 5mm larger body but much shorter appendages.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Dude...if you're going to awaken an old one...this is the one to awaken.

I've heard nothing, unfortunately. I keep looking at that pic with all those babies...drives me crazy.
it's like... so close... but so far. I wonder what happened to them?

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here is a picture of one of my babies, they are growing really fast!

BiophilicGinger

Arachnopeon
Are you aware the legspan and whipspan of Acanthophrynus is many inches shorter than Heterophrynus batesii? Acanthophrynus has a 5mm larger body but much shorter appendages.
Yeah, I was about say something.

---------- Post added 02-03-2014 at 05:24 PM ----------

You should bring them to the arachnogathering/NARBC in March so I can clear out my bank account.
I second that notion! I would love to have a bunch of stridulating Amblypygi.

smashtoad

Arachnopeon
I didn't know batesii was longer...but don't really care. They're both really awesome. the bulk of coronatus is what I'd like to work with. Longer spreads just means a bigger terrarium. I'd take either, though. I lost my trio of batesii to a hot spring day two springs ago. An amblypigid that kill a young mouse is something I'd like to work with.

There are some in the states, I just don't know where.