Inexpensive advanced arboreal

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
And just how did you manage to get a C. darlingi to throw a posture? Mine is quite docile, for a baboon at least. Her version of scurrying away is slowly walking back into her hole.

I will say, I'm quite happy that you got yourself a decent camera :D I expect these potato pictures to fall to the wayside eventually.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
I was actually considering that one exactly. Even the coloration is great! But priority #1 is defensiveness to me, and they are certainly flight rather than fight. I mean hey, if I could run that fast, I'd never fight either!

This is definitely what I was leaning towards, but they don't seem to be nearly as cheap here in the States. Slings go for about $30 (not bad, I know), and I've yet to find a juvie or an adult for sale. I've found some archived posts asking $200 for a subadult specimen - that's the only price I've been able to find, and it was almost three years old.

Have you owned the S. calceatum? I know that arboreals are more secretive than most terrestrials, but I'm just looking to avoid a repeat of the ghost that was my P. irminia. I saw him so rarely that he molted twice and matured between me actually seeing him. My P. striata is always on display, it's a rare day that she spends the day in her cork tube. This is uncommon, I know, I just don't want the arboreal version of a pet hole. The E. olivacea is gorgeous, and it seems to fit a lot of what I'm looking for according to others' accounts. I can't even find a sling for sale through my normal mediums, though. That one may take some digging.

Whoever's charging 30 for a s calc sling is out of their damn mind. I bought my ADULT FEMALE at the Hamburg reptile con for 45$

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Wow, very interesting looking spider. The carapace is massive for an arboreal. Is it a strict arboreal like avics, or does it spend a lot of the time at ground level like a maculata?
I mean they are same genus as the old haplos, and the body shape shows.

Btw I just paired S. calceatum. When I get the sac and some of the slings established I'll give you one, that way you too can raise your very own 8legged antichrist

louise f

Arachnoangel
I remember seeing @louise f s videos of her E. olivacea. They were up for a fight aha
Haha, my friend they are always up for a fight, just you wait to yours get a little bigger then you`ll see some real additude :p:D They`ll bite the crap out of you if they can get you. :D Man those things a nasty, but lovely <3 :kiss:

Ohh you mean this vid :p

And @EulersK you know what species i would say right ??? Psalmo, get the psalmo. They are awesome. <3 :p:D

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
al
Ohh you mean this vid :p

:rofl:

Yes thats the video. I am looking forward to seeing them grow. They are growing pretty fast. Which makes me like them even more :D

Its a funny video. One of them is eating without hassle, the other demands you take it back and give a refund :rofl:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
:rofl:

Yes thats the video. I am looking forward to seeing them grow. They are growing pretty fast. Which makes me like them even more :D

Its a funny video. One of them is eating without hassle, the other demands you take it back and give a refund :rofl:
'waitress! This cricket/dubia is welldone, I ordered a medium rare, damn it! :p

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I don't know about yours, but none of mine do, and I have a decent amount, with almost the whole genus under my belt. I see all of mine all the time :)
yeah all of mine are out all the time, but they won't be like my Haplopelma to defend their home no?

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
yeah all of mine are out all the time, but they won't be like my Haplopelma to defend their home no?
No, none of mine throw me a threat pose EVER. Only 1 small P. metallica which got an attitude since its last molt, even though it has a burrow and some bark, it chooses not to use it and instead stand its ground.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
No, none of mine throw me a threat pose EVER. Only 1 small P. metallica which got an attitude since its last molt, even though it has a burrow and some bark, it chooses not to use it and instead stand its ground.
funny you say that, I have a little 1.25'' metallica male who threat postures at well, everything except food! I can just shine a light on him and instant posture.. He wasn't like this when I got him.

cold blood

Staff member
And just how did you manage to get a C. darlingi to throw a posture? Mine is quite docile, for a baboon at least. Her version of scurrying away is slowly walking back into her hole.

I will say, I'm quite happy that you got yourself a decent camera :D I expect these potato pictures to fall to the wayside eventually.

I was actually feeding a different t and had my face right next to her enclosure...the room was dark except for the flashlight that was aiming at the t I was looking at (obviously), so I didn't even give her any notice....I just kept hearing noises so I turned the light towards her only to see that...with periodic striking at the sides in my direction. It was an unusually ornery night for her.

Yeah that was a remnant potato cam pic, not bad for that camera though considering it was through the thoroughly webbed enclosure.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Out of my pokies, (I have all of them within reason in various life stages except smithi) the only ones I never see are my hanumavillasumica, 0.1 striata, and my rufilata. The rest, especially my Metallicas are almost always out in the open to be admired.

My subfusca low land communal are about 50/50 but they need a housing upgrade after they finish molting. After rehousing I expect to not see any of them.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I was actually feeding a different t and had my face right next to her enclosure...the room was dark except for the flashlight that was aiming at the t I was looking at (obviously), so I didn't even give her any notice....I just kept hearing noises so I turned the light towards her only to see that...with periodic striking at the sides in my direction. It was an unusually ornery night for her.

Yeah that was a remnant potato cam pic, not bad for that camera though considering it was through the thoroughly webbed enclosure.
I wouldn't mind if mine showed some aggression! Hell, I'd be happy if she showed anything but her toes :p