Inexpensive advanced arboreal

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
E. olivacea growth has been pretty quick for me. My first was a male, and he matured within a year of getting him at 2". I have 2 females and a male acquired at 3" or so. I'm keeping my girls warm to grow them faster and they've molted twice this summer. The male molted once. Keep them more humid than you'd think for a baboon.

I love Cyriopagopus/Omothymus schioedtei, and have raised them in the past. The males turn a pretty green. I have a few slings right now, too. I warn you that you won't ever see it, though.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
I love Cyriopagopus/Omothymus schioedtei, and have raised them in the past. The males turn a pretty green. I have a few slings right now, too. I warn you that you won't ever see it, though.
I see mine quite a bit, but I'm nocturnal - so that might explain it lol.

Usually come out at night and sit on the bark.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer

Ah, yes, mine do come out at night, but so do almost all of my tarantulas. I usually am up for work at 4 am, and I get to see pretty much everybody then.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor

do you know what size C sp hatihati turns arboreal? mines around the 1.5" mark and is starting to web up the upper sides of its cage..

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
do you know what size C sp hatihati turns arboreal? mines around the 1.5" mark and is starting to web up the upper sides of its cage..
Probably around 2.5-3 inches from what i can gather. Mine havne't actually done any webbing at all, but i've given them cork bark so they just burrowed next to that, and come out at night and sit up top.

The bigger they get the more time they'll spend acting like an arboreal. Best thing is when they are bigger, is to give them a nice cork bark tube with plenty of sub so they can make their den. Then they'll come out and sit on it like this: http://s1062.photobucket.com/user/Laederon/media/IMG_3442_zps5ce1a5f5.jpg.html

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
E. olivacea growth has been pretty quick for me. My first was a male, and he matured within a year of getting him at 2". I have 2 females and a male acquired at 3" or so. I'm keeping my girls warm to grow them faster and they've molted twice this summer. The male molted once. Keep them more humid than you'd think for a baboon.

I agree. Beautiful, fast spiders with attitude and a great appetite. It is one of my favourites for sure!

... And the webbing! Oh god the webbing !!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I love my E. olivacea and I got lucky and grabbed 3 juveniles for great prices. Just keep your eyes peeled. They aren't especially defensive, but they're extremely heavy webbers. I had one years ago who was the same. They're never in their cork tubes. They make such dense web tunnels and platforms that they don't seem to feel the need to hide. I usually see their shapes behind web curtains.
You must have been lucky. i picked up 4 and all of them are super defensive I only have the 2 left now as sold a couple on. They are such a bold species for one of medium size.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
You must have been lucky. i picked up 4 and all of them are super defensive I only have the 2 left now as sold a couple on. They are such a bold species for one of medium size.
Ohh really? Nice! Mine have all been more skittish than defensive. They remind me a bit of Poecs.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Ohh really? Nice! Mine have all been more skittish than defensive. They remind me a bit of Poecs.
I get them storming out from behind the bark and the fangs are out on show straight away as soon as I open the cage. The younger ones in the deli cups were even worse. The webbing is amazing though, I havent seen a sp. that can completely silk an enclosure within 24 hours of its rehouse. Crazy.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I remember seeing @louise f s videos of her E. olivacea. They were up for a fight aha

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Have you owned the S. calceatum? I know that arboreals are more secretive than most terrestrials, but I'm just looking to avoid a repeat of the ghost that was my P. irminia. I saw him so rarely that he molted twice and matured between me actually seeing him.

Calceatum is pretty high strung and shy, you won't see much of it, and it's not a good 'first advanced arboreal.' Work your way up. There's no rush.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
I get them storming out from behind the bark and the fangs are out on show straight away as soon as I open the cage. The younger ones in the deli cups were even worse. The webbing is amazing though, I havent seen a sp. that can completely silk an enclosure within 24 hours of its rehouse. Crazy.
View attachment 220406 View attachment 220407 View attachment 220408

I remember seeing @louise f s videos of her E. olivacea. They were up for a fight aha
*goes to order some*

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Calceatum is pretty high strung and shy, you won't see much of it, and it's not a good 'first advanced arboreal.' Work your way up. There's no rush.
I wouldn't say that this is my first advanced arboreal - I was keeping a juvenile/subadult H. maculata just fine until the unexplained death. I also have plenty of high strung OW terrestrials. At this point, I'm used to speed and unpredictability. I'm just looking for those traits in an arboreal, because so far they've been quite boring. But I am open to suggestions, hence this thread. Any you would suggest? The more defensive, the better.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I wouldn't say that this is my first advanced arboreal - I was keeping a juvenile/subadult H. maculata just fine until the unexplained death. I also have plenty of high strung OW terrestrials. At this point, I'm used to speed and unpredictability. I'm just looking for those traits in an arboreal, because so far they've been quite boring. But I am open to suggestions, hence this thread. Any you would suggest? The more defensive, the better.
Lampropelma, Cryriopagopus, Omothymus, Phormingochilus (not 100% sure these are arboreal).

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
they just run and hide though.
Exactly. I just rehoused my C. fimbriatus, and that girl not only stood her ground but actually chased down the prodding straw. That's what I'm after. None of this run and hide nonsense.

cold blood

Staff member
0823150020 (1).jpg
Exactly. I just rehoused my C. fimbriatus, and that girl not only stood her ground but actually chased down the prodding straw. That's what I'm after. None of this run and hide nonsense.
Ha, meet Ms. darlingi