inducing molt??

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
is it possible to induce a spider to molt by manipulating the conditions the spider is kept under?

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, by increasing the temperatures that it is kept under as well as increasing its diet. FYI, a tarantulas life span is tied to the number of molts it has. Therefore, increasing its molting frequency will in turn decrease its overall life span.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had once heard that if you place a fresh molt in with a T in pre-molt it may speed up the process. I have found nothing toback this up and find it very dubious. Increasing food consumption and ambient temperature are proven to induce molts quicker, but as Windchaser already mentioned, this cuts your pets life much shorter.

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
essentially, let nature take its course and allow the T to molt when it is good and ready.

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i hear that. just was wondering cause my b. emilia has not molted in what seems like forever. i hope it reaches 1" with the next molt.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i hear that. just was wondering cause my b. emilia has not molted in what seems like forever. i hope it reaches 1" with the next molt.
I'm in the same boat. Has not eaten in 3 months and not molted in 8 months. She is about an inch and I have had her for 2 years.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm in the same boat. Has not eaten in 3 months and not molted in 8 months. She is about an inch and I have had her for 2 years.
Dear god really? Thats stupid slow....... really? Thats slow? I have two slings right now.... and they are at not even 1/2 inch. Uggg I hope they are faster growing then the 1/2 g rosea sling I have had for almost a year that has done nadda. That thing is a slug its in no hurry to do anything fast. :8o

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i'm not looking forward to my brachys growth rate. like i mentioned earlier my b. emilia is not even 1" and i have had it for about a year. it was about 1/4" when i received it. my b. smithi, ugghhh, 1/4" now and am dreading the slow growth. but it'll be worth it in the end.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i'm not looking forward to my brachys growth rate. like i mentioned earlier my b. emilia is not even 1" and i have had it for about a year. it was about 1/4" when i received it. my b. smithi, ugghhh, 1/4" now and am dreading the slow growth. but it'll be worth it in the end.
With smithi I have not had one complaint about the growth rate. I have been able to get slings to 5+ inches or more in a few years.

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
With smithi I have not had one complaint about the growth rate. I have been able to get slings to 5+ inches or more in a few years.
huh, all that i have read about brachys is that they are slow growers. hopefully, my smithi will grow somewhat quick

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It has been said that raising temps can induce. How long do these elevated temps need to be sustained? A few months back we had a warm snap that kept daytime ambient up at over 90 degrees for a good two weeks. This rise in temps did not convince my dumb old G. aureostriata to shed. It's now as good as four years since I've had her, and no molts to date. Would raising humidity by covering a portion of the mesh lid on her tank perhaps change her mind? It's been a good three months since she ate, but that's because she seldom comes out of her cave.....even for water. I'm not one to disturb them unless the situation becomes critical, which I don't believe it is.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dear god really? Thats stupid slow....... really? Thats slow? I have two slings right now.... and they are at not even 1/2 inch. Uggg I hope they are faster growing then the 1/2 g rosea sling I have had for almost a year that has done nadda. That thing is a slug its in no hurry to do anything fast. :8o
Lets put it this way. Brachys aren't quite as slow as Grammostola, but they are still S-L-O-W. I have a 3 year old rosehair sling that is still only about an inch. It has moulted twice in the time that I have had it and it didn't really grow enough to be seen with either moult.

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It has been said that raising temps can induce. How long do these elevated temps need to be sustained? A few months back we had a warm snap that kept daytime ambient up at over 90 degrees for a good two weeks. This rise in temps did not convince my dumb old G. aureostriata to shed. It's now as good as four years since I've had her, and no molts to date. Would raising humidity by covering a portion of the mesh lid on her tank perhaps change her mind? It's been a good three months since she ate, but that's because she seldom comes out of her cave.....even for water. I'm not one to disturb them unless the situation becomes critical, which I don't believe it is.
*Bump*....some advice needed here.

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have no advice to give as i am new to the hobby as well. i just am going to let nature run its course and hope that my T molts soon. i keep my temps in the mid 70s and as to humidity, i have no idea where it stands. i have a water bowl placed in the enclosure but not sure as to how much that tends to help. each time my g. aureo and b. emilia have molted its been a dramatic increase in size. i am talking a very noticeable change. i got my b. emilia back in dec. 2005 and it was 1/4" long now it is at least a good inch. that was reached over the course of two molts in a year. for a brachy, i guess that is a good growth rate. i am not doing anything special. once a week feeding mainly.