Individuals criteria for the Ts they acquire

LV-426

Arachnobaron
I was interested in finding out why we get certain Ts over other? What is your individual criteria? Is it size, temperment, ease of husbandry, color, or a combination of many factors?

captmarga

Arachnobaron
For myself, a combination of factors. I love the color variations. I don't mind if they are terrestrial or arboreal, and I have some of both. I have everything from 2nd instar slings to 6.5" mature adults. I prefer them over 2", as I like to be able to see them!

I have a couple that at first I wasnt' sure about (They were part of a package deal) and now I'm just as attached to them as any other.

If I had to narrow down due to space limitations, I'd choose those known to be more display Ts, with lovely colors and patterns. I have an LP (L. parahybana) that sits out in the open more often than not, as does one of my G. roseas. My P. regalis is almost always in view, and so are my OBTs (P. murinus).

I have several species in multiple - H. lividum, L. parahybana, G. rosea, Avicularia sp., P. murinus, P. iminia, and more.

Aggression isn't a factor for me. I rather get amused when a little 2" spider throws a threat display! Fast? I am as careful as I can moving them into new homes, and opening cages for feeding/cleaning.

I even have one T that is a complete unknown. She's brown. She burrows a bit. She's not aggressive. Her name is Conundrum, and I wouldn't trade her off...

I'm sure this didn't help you if you were trying to make a decision, but it's my take on it.

Marga

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
Hmmm i tend to like colorful T's but i like attitude as well because i think it makes them fun :) I have a thing for OW T's but i like a lot of the NW T's as well :) so for me i guess its whatever T i find intresting and cool :) I love the burrowing T's though and the aboreal one's and the terrestial T's. :)

LV-426

Arachnobaron
I am interested in seeing other peoples taste in what they like in the Ts they like. I also forgot to mention if some people get some Ts that are rare and hard to come by.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
@ captmarga, I got an unknown also, at first i felt like i got had, but over time it has grown on me. It is by far my most active T

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Color and size are the main factors for me. I love jet blacks,reds and blues. Also bigger is better so I had to have T.blondi;).

DJEggy

Arachnopeon
I have a few odd criteria myself:

1) Coloration, it must look pretty.
2) Age, I like them just out of the sling, or juvenile. No adults, no slings.
3) Feisty, I like them fast and with an attitude. (Except my first T, the smithi was just to break myself into the habit)
4) Which one will piss off my roommate the most. :evil:

And I'm serious about pissing off my roommate. I make sure he sees any new purchases. He's got an attitude problem and hates exotic pets, so I need to have some fun with him. {D

T o m

Arachnopeon
I only have 3 T's atm and i chose them all for there appearance...
Eupalestrus campestratus - Pink Zebra
Haplopelma lividum - Cobalt blue
Psalmopoeus irminia - Venezuelan suntiger

The first was recommended for beginners and i always wanted a Cobalt because they are BEAUTIFUL, i think people give these wonderful creatures a bad rep on the internet, don't get me wrong i have no doubt if i put my hand within striking distance she'd be latched on instantly...but i have alot of respect for her, i give her lots of space and i am obviously extra cautious when changing her water etc...

Thegloryfades

Arachnosquire
For me it's a bit of a combination, I love arboreals, color plays a huge role also, temperament doesn't make a big deal but a healthy appetite is more entertaining to watch for sure.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
Ive always found the burrowing T's to be rather shy :) My king baboon i respect as well as she can be mean lol. I want a Cobalt blue :)

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I really choose a brown or blonde as I like this colour in Ts, I also only have terestrial because I like the ground dwellers, my favorite genus is Aphonopelma because of the placid nature and the way they are built. :drool:

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Anything arboreal,though we lean towards Avicularia....P.rufilata won me over as of late,though. If it is ground-bound,it better have some good colors on it. We have a soft spot for boehmei as well.Something about the vibrant colors just does it for me.(the black/orange)

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
I like good eaters. I also prefer cheaper T's, like OBT's and LP's. Generally, I like a T that eats, is affordable, and I can look at occasionally.

--Dan

LV-426

Arachnobaron
I go my P cancerides cause it inhabits the Domincan Republic which I was born. I got my P crassipes slings cause they are whistling spiders and I like their long front legs. My nhandu i lije cause it has that skeleton look. My P cambridgie i got cause it was similar to the imira and thats what the herp store had at the time. And my mystery T i like it cause its always out in the open.

DJEggy

Arachnopeon
I want a Cobalt blue :)
Yes, yes you do. My favorite one, even though she's a total pet hole. And for those insomniac nights, really fun to flash a quick flashlight in there and see her on the glass, staring down a cricket. :D

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I typically go for ones that have:
Eight legs

I just buy tarantulas, no requirements lol

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Personally I won't get anything with urticating hairs, the bald spot is not appealing. Although the only exception is the genus Xenesthis because they are gorgeous. I mostly stick to old world arboreals. I am starting to expand and get some burrowers though. Overall, I like Ts that are aggressive and that have potent venom.

aboznut

Arachnopeon
Picking T's

We're all different...

I'm kind of the opposite of Rabid, I'm kind of new to this, and have had a history of reacting to bee and wasp venom when I was younger, so I stay away from OW T's.

I like unique NW T's, with color, personality, that are a little rare or out of the ordinary. I also like T's I can handle.

I'm not comfortable or ready to have a T that is aggressive, way faster than I am, and a venom that could easily land me in the hospital! I like the P. metallicas, OBT, and H. lividum's color, but their too fast and venomous for my taste.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I usually become fascinated by characteristics of a particular genus mostly and then buy species accordingly. I like pokies but have gotten out of them due to their speed and venom potency mainly, but I still keep African OW's because I feel more comfortable with them and have always favored them overall. I've grown be more comfortable around Pterinochilus compared to other OW T's, especially arboreal like the pokies and such.

In my NW's I like them to be docile and handleable because that is what I look for in a NW T mostly. My preferences are Grammastola mainly because they are docile and always out, Cyriocosumus because they are small but also very interesting especially in how they hunt (its like Tremors or something...), I also like Brachypelma for their docile tendencies and bright colors.

I think what distinguishes what people like is unique to what they find most interesting within the hobby and what appeals to that specific person. Sometimes their is trends though and also splurge purchases when we get excited on the uncommon occasion (rare for some) that we see an arachnid for sale at a petstore.