Indian ornamental

Willy94

Arachnopeon
SoI acquired this beautiful confirmed female Indian ornamental last week. Just wondering what this species is like as I have no experience with it. Acquired if from a friend so I didn't go out my way to get her neither did I know really what they were until getting one.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Poecilotheria regalis is the scientific name, there you will find more than enough information on google.
Short and sweet:
old world, fast, a little more toxic than usual. Better safe than sorry always applies here!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
SoI acquired this beautiful confirmed female Indian ornamental last week. Just wondering what this species is like as I have no experience with it. Acquired if from a friend so I didn't go out my way to get her neither did I know really what they were until getting one.
Venom from this genus has put grown men in hospitals with severe muscle cramps, pain, and altered heart beating-
Documented in medical literature.

I hope you read rather than just ask questions. Hope you give it a large enough tank too.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
As others said above, this Theraphosidae - and the whole genus - is fast, insanely fast. The bite is brutal. Just keep always attention when feeding, watering, routine maintenance cleaning and things should be ok.

Captain Obvious: Little childrens (I'm saying this because I noticed your avatar picture) needs to stay away from such spider.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Be careful, as everyone else said a bite would be nasty and mess you up. I have another spider in this genus, and it is probably both my fastest and most unpredictable spider. They're gorgeous though, just really be careful with rehousings and such. Read everything about the poecilotheria genus that you can, but most likely you have a P regalis.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Read a few bite reports for spiders from this genus just so you're aware of what could happen. My P. regalis (which is the species you likely have) is honestly pretty reclusive and shy, and has never given me threat postures unless I'm trying to capture and rehouse her. Use common sense- don't stick your fingers into the enclosure, know that these spiders are very fast, and exercise caution in general. Absolutely no handling of this species. Make sure it has a piece of cork bark to hide in/ behind so that it has a place to retreat if it gets spooked when you're refilling the water dish or something. Use long metal tongs for maintenance. I use a turkey baster to refill the water dish which minimizes disturbances. Treat this species with respect, since it is a venomous animal, and you should be OK. Do your research before acquiring it and setting up a habitat. I recommend Tom Moran's videos.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
totally concur on the whole dirt curtain thing. Mine has a chinmey and she's over 3"

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Just found and quite informative for owners of the species:

Yeah, they are all pretty spicy, a decent number of bites come from Ornatas, which seem to be pretty quick to strike. If I remember, that guy was doing a breeding. What is crazy is the distance between the 2 fang marks. That was a big POkie

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Yes, I would say he was in a good condition. I believe people with cardial diseases can get a real problem after a bite!