Incubator

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Where can I buy/get/achieve/obtain/purchase a artificial incubator? Also, what the heck is it doing!? It's not a death curl because this was 4 days ago. In case you can't see, those are it's back two legs.

Attachments

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Not sure about the incubator, but most used for tarantulas can be homemade. Refer to the Tarantula Keepers Guide.

Your Avic thinks it is a Poecilotheria. Actually, ive noticed alot of my arboreal T's in that 'lounging' position which is usually followed by excessive preening. Just a different way of hanging, my guess.

-V

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Do all arboreals do this? He/She did follow up with a preening after that...

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

No one activity is a blanket statement for any group of T's, but it seems to be a fairly common activity.

-V

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think you'd be just as well off if you didn't use an incubator, I mean, you don't need one, just set up the natural conditions and keep an eye on it. You might not want to take a sack that early anyways that you definately need an incubator.

-Jeremy

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by ilovemyjob:)
Whats that big white thing on the right of the spider????
possibly the reflection of some thingy ...
you're not the only one who doesn't know :)

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It is indeed a reflection. A shirt more or less...

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by JDK
Where can I buy/get/achieve/obtain/purchase a artificial incubator? .
If you check out the ATS site at atshq.org you can order Stan Schultz's publication on building a Mechanical Mom for tarantulas.

Joy

NorthwestInverts

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use the Mechanical Mom. Been using them for 3 years. I have been very successful since I switched to this method, although I still occasionally use the deli-cup, I like the controlled conditions and consistantcy of the Mech. Mom. Some folks think it's overkill, but I wouldn't go back strictly to the deli-cup for nothing, Although recently I had to pull a B. emilia sac from the Mech. Mom and open it because it started to go bad. Ended up with only 43 good ones and saved them all. (Power to the Spideyroom was cut off for almost 2 days, 3 days later as I checked the sac, it was getting hard on one side...Problem is solved now with backup generator in case of power outage.)
I am constructing 5 more of them right now. (it doesnt cost much more to make more than 1.) I will sell 2-3 of them and will make a couple of my own modifications on the other ones. You dont have to be a rocket scientist to make one of these but it does take basic "mechanical" minded knowledge and a basic knowledge of wiring, even with the book. It takes planning and is not a casual weekend project...If you want to make your own, contact the ATS and get Stans book, I would highly recommend it.
Once you get the incub. dialed in and running for a few weeks, you can control the temp and humidity precisely. Below is one of the 1st I constructed in 2000.

Take Care, Dean