Incense

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
In the USA there are restaurants which have smoking sections inside (STUPID). Which is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.
That's a very fitting comparison actually!
Problem is, smokers don't understand that they stink like hell. They believe they don't, because their sense of smell went dull due to smoking, and what they don't smell, obviously doesn't exist (duh...).

Meanwhile, I can smell if someone in the car in front of me on the highway is smoking. Funnily enough, no smoker ever believed me.
Non-smokers on the other hand... ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Problem is, smokers don't understand that they stink like hell. They believe they don't, because their sense of smell went dull due to smoking, and what they don't smell, obviously doesn't exist (duh...).

Meanwhile, I can smell if someone in the car in front of me on the highway is smoking. Funnily enough, no smoker ever believed me.
True and same here. Sometimes I have to roll up my windows because a car is 15 feet away and the drug addict is busy puffing away on his cigarette. I don't need any more crap down my lungs than the already polluted air provides, we all know 2nd hand smoke is harmful.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Nicotine is an excellent chemical that binds to neuronal nAChR's found in insects, and it kills them. My friend is a neuroscientist, he adds it in his lawn spray, and has the most bug free lawn I've ever seen.

I'm amazed one of your Ts hasn't keeled over.
Nicotine is really toxic, there´s no doubt about that. With sufficient amounts of it you can probably kill anything living. But as I said, I have never seen any bad effects on my arachnids as a result of second hand smoking and neither have I heard a confirmed story that it causes any problems for them. After all, I don´t smoke non-stop and I do have a window that I open whenever I feel the need to bring in some fresh air :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nicotine is really toxic, there´s no doubt about that. With sufficient amounts of it you can probably kill anything living. But as I said, I have never seen any bad effects on my arachnids as a result of second hand smoking and neither have I heard a confirmed story that it causes any problems for them. After all, I don´t smoke non-stop and I do have a window that I open whenever I feel the need to bring in some fresh air :)
I haven't heard a confirmed story either. Then again, I don't know anyone who smokes, has had a dead T and brought it in for necropsy either.

People don't smoke 24/7 either, and damage is done.

I'm not suggesting your Ts are having issues mind you, I'm only saying "we just don't know" technically.

Maybe they are being affected, but it's a long term affect that doesn't manifest until decades later, and again, maybe nothing at all. We just don't know.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I wonder if a walk inside your mind would be fun or terrifying o_O
I can guarantee you a 'memorabile' and 'impareggiabile' experience, lots of Ebola virus for free, of course is included :kiss:

Sadly the nerdy nerds geniuses-pundits of the Internet are lazy: for enjoy that we need at least an Internet 4.0 min.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I don't smoke cigarettes inside, but I do light incense and burn candles pretty regularly. I've done so my whole life, and haven't had any adverse affects on my Ts.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

I quit two months ago (yay!), and man...does it stink. Well, mostly. Sometimes the nicotine monster decides to pop up and tell me it smells nice. :shifty:
After which i tell it to go %*°*%° and put a peppermint in my mouth, lol.
But my husband still smokes (never smoked inside, 5 year old doesn't have to suffer because we need (needed) to put crap in our system), and, well, kissing or hugging is....smelly sometimes. So i put a peppermint in his mouth as well :D

OT
I think oils are better than incense, since you evaporate them instead of burning something. I don't know the english term for those oils. You put a few drops in water and put that on a candle or heater.

I don't burn anything with my inverts really. They are in the attic, and I sometimes burn incense in the livingroom downstairs.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince

I don´t doubt that we stink, but I can´t smell that of course, just as I can´t smell garlic since I eat a lot of that. My grandmother however does not and she always complains that the medical workers at the caring home she lives in stinks of it. After all smells and odours that aren´t necessary pleasant to us is something we just have to accept as long as we live in societies with other people. I mean there are a bunch of smells out there, old ladies at the bus that uses such crazy amounts of perfume that the whole bus stinks of it, the bags of dried fish that people eats as snacks here and that smells out the entire room, sweaty people that runs or exercises etc.

Also, I don´t believe that you can smell if someone in the car in front of you on the autobahn smokes. But if you can, just crank up this classic German song and enjoy your ride rather than being bothered by the smell of a cigarette ;)

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Nicotine is an excellent chemical that binds to neuronal nAChR's found in insects, and it kills them. My friend is a neuroscientist, he adds it in his lawn spray, and has the most bug free lawn I've ever seen.

I'm amazed one of your Ts hasn't keeled over.
As @viper69 has said nicotine does kill insects in high doses. Many commercial crop growers use it as an insecticide.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Nicotine, actually, is really a disgrace and a menace for our inverts, not only for our wallets and health. Hands down to this fact.
But who doesn't know this? Everyone supposed mentally sane without roaches or an hamster running in the wheel instead of brain cells knows this fact.

I smoke only outside, not in my room where I keep my inverts, not in my house: only in my balcony or garden.

Yeah we hardcore smokers (only Marlboro Red in soft packages, not 'hard' packets garbage here) knows that, don't worry. Thanks for your concern about us, 'smelly' people, uh uh :cigar:

IMO to arrive perfectly healthy at the graveyard is dumb as F-Word: I love to breath 'Death' just like I love to smell an old, class A Italian red wine or a sexy Lady body.

Health fanatics in Italy (very very few, btw) those days deprive themselves of every life corrupted pleasures then you spot those at the mall pulling the shopping cart for their psycho, socially accepted drug addicteds wifes, like the best beta male ever. Mah :)

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
It hasn't affect my arachnids for the years I have used incense.

I have stop using incense though because it's easier to clean the kitty litter than it is wipe the ash from every single one of my enclosures. The ash from incense will develop a film over your cages.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I smoke only outside, not in my room where I keep my inverts, not in my house: only in my balcony or garden.
Yes, but you also live in Lombardia! :) You have a climate for smoking outdoors, but in Norway that is not always a choice. How would you even light a cigarette in this weather?

Jeff23

Arachnolord
We have all kinds of people doing tarantula maintenance and feeding in the bathroom. Timing is everything.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
@Andrea82 congrats on two months of no smoking! It is hard to quit that habit. I smoked for a long time and quit about 10 years ago. I still think it smells good sometimes!

I sometimes spray essential oil spray, but not incense. I make sure I don't spray it near the enclosures at all and it seems to be fine. I have occasionally used an essential oil diffuser in a room farther away from my Ts. No issues.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
@Andrea82 congrats on two months of no smoking! It is hard to quit that habit. I smoked for a long time and quit about 10 years ago. I still think it smells good sometimes!

I sometimes spray essential oil spray, but not incense. I make sure I don't spray it near the enclosures at all and it seems to be fine. I have occasionally used an essential oil diffuser in a room farther away from my Ts. No issues.
Oh, the oil has the same name, lol. Essential oil...:D

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Then, why does it happen frequently?
I really don't think my nose is that sensitive, mote so I'm sure I'm not suffering from hallucinations...

Who said that?

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
I know this is different, but we had two of our Ts survive a major house fire (firemen rescued them), there was a lot of smoke, and I do feel it affected their feeding habits/ molting. It took many months, but they seem to be back to their usual selves.