Inbreeding

vanquisher91

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know that in the mammalian world, inbreeding is a bad thing and can cause harmful birth deformities, but what about in the invert world? My female H. spin just gave birth and I'm already thinking ahead to when they all grow up in the communal set up I have planned for them.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know that in the mammalian world, inbreeding is a bad thing and can cause harmful birth deformities, but what about in the invert world? My female H. spin just gave birth and I'm already thinking ahead to when they all grow up in the communal set up I have planned for them.
from what i know inbreeding still may have an effect on inverts down the line but people do it all the time. they used to do it for years (and still do altho its becoming frowned upon) with reptiles, we would get certain color traits thru one snake breed it back to the mom (or dad) and get another color trait all together. not to say its a good idea but if it happens im sure its not the end of the world.

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Imbreeding apears to have no effect on scorpions... there wss a thread on it a while back.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know some of us understand the problems of inbreeding but I don't think a lot of us do. I know I don't, but I'll take a shot at it after hearing bits here and there. I think most of the problems happen when people try to inbreed certain traits, over and over again. That's not natural selection so you start messing around with what is beneficial to the way the animal survives in it's natural environment. But if you let things inbreed without pushing a genetic trait, I think you have a lot less problems. For humans, it's kind of a taboo. Animals, esp. arthropods that usually have a lot of babies, probably do it all the time.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
arthropods that usually have a lot of babies, probably do it all the time.
Yes and also universities have colonies of insects that they have kept going for decades, some of these started from a single pair.

Some species of Ts and scorps, etc... in the pet trade have come from a wild female giving birth in captivity. With no other brood lines to draw from, the whole pet trade species can come from that lone female.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I believe that the problems associated with inbreeding are inversely proportional to the complexity of the associated organism. Single celled organisms and some worms don't even bother breeding because they don't need it. Inverts are simple compared with mammals.

As a side note, inbreeding can be a really good thing for isolating and removing bad genes. Lab mice and rats, for example, are purposely inbred. It makes whatever flaws there are in the DNA come out and you then only selectively breed individuals without those flaws and you get really pure DNA. Lab mice and rats these days are all but genetically identical, with few or no genetic defects. That's thanks to inbreeding.

T.ass-mephisto

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
from what i was told scorpions can withstand inbreeding for a few generations with no real ill effects. i think it was pandinus that told me that? and he seems to be one of the most knowledgeable guys here so. good luck with it

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not sure if we know LOOOOOOONG term effects of inbreeding but a few generations seems to be the point everyone agrees on.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't know, sounds like more guessing and speculation, who really knows? Where are reports that say "here's what happens after 3 generations of inbreeding." Nah, doesn't make sense to me, I have to see some examples.

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, I've got a P.imp brood that I will probably breed out a few times... so we'll see. :)