Inbreeding, is that ok?

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
I'm gonna be pairing these two siblings.

Sis:
FB_IMG_1474181869409.jpg

Bro:
FB_IMG_1474181876188.jpg

magicmed

Arachnobaron
you're going to make redneck spiders ;)

Honestly I can't tell you, someone will

Last edited:

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Those replies :rofl:.

I've seen both sides of the fence. In the TKG a study is referenced that found molting problems with multiple generations of inbreeding. I'm not home so I can't cite the page.
On the other hand I've seen others on this board saying there's no evidence and something about inbreeding having no effects on invertebrates.
I wouldn't do it, if that influences your decision in any way. :rolleyes:

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
First,you have to get them to mature at the same time,and pokie males mature pretty fast compared to females. I doubt you could power feed the female that much,and starve the male that much.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Some how I feel like this is loaded statement.. @CEC if you are who I remeber you to be you know that it's usually not an issue.. Infact it's not uncommon to establish blood lines this way from sp. that are new in the hobbie..

What's the catch?

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I'm gonna be pairing these two siblings.

Sis:
View attachment 220679

Bro:
View attachment 220680
I think that inbreeding is a pretty natural occurrence in the wild, although probably not siblings. Given that wild tarantulas don't wander far from their home there is not much chance for genetic diversity. You will have faster growing males maturing then wandering to neighboring females that most likely are related IE; Mother, Aunt, Grandma, Cousin etc. Natural selection will have the genetically week spiderlings in the resulting broods weeded out through death and predation leaving the strongest to continue the cycle.
I don't think its an issue if you can get their molt cycles to work.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
First,you have to get them to mature at the same time,and pokie males mature pretty fast compared to females. I doubt you could power feed the female that much,and starve the male that much.
You're making this statement based on?

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Based on the fact that males mature faster, just like the majority of species? Although the second part of his statement is conjecture.
They mature faster when kept in the same conditions. I can slow down my male Poecilotheria enough that they molt once every 6-7 months or more even at around 3'' ;) And all that just by tweaking their feeding schedule.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
They mature faster when kept in the same conditions. I can slow down my male Poecilotheria enough that they molt once every 6-7 months or more even at around 3'' ;) And all that just by tweaking their feeding schedule.
Based on the fact that males mature faster, just like the majority of species? Although the second part of his statement is conjecture.
I love it when I'm able to respond with quotes :D

But also keep in mind your climate. I've tried slowing males down in the past, and at best I've only seen mild results. My climate is relatively warm year-round, which contributes quite a bit to the molting process.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
My climate is also pretty warm, not to mention my spiders are all kept at 20C+ year-round, with temps reaching 28C+ in May to October :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wish there was real genetic data on the inbreeding of arachs. Everything I read about on it is all suspect, not a single person I've read has the scientific data to support either claim they make.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Hey cousin earl!
"Uncle daddy and me gonna have us a nephson."

I wish there was real genetic data on the inbreeding of arachs. Everything I read about on it is all suspect, not a single person I've read has the scientific data to support either claim they make.
Agreed. There have been several studies on inbreeding of insects, but none that I can find of arachnids. I think I can find the publication if need be, but one that comes to mind concerns a species of roach and the findings were that no ill effects were observed after a few dozen generations. We can't reasonably apply the rules of insect reproduction to arachnids anyway, so everything said is no more than speculation.

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
Without reading any scientific data. T's must interbreed. With the size of a successful sac they mustn't travel that far as slings or juvies. Lots of insects have wings which enables them to cast themselves further to spread the gene pool. The very fact that Ts are here in the wild is testament to the fact that whatever they are doing, they are doing it right. Evolution selects, through mutation.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't understand on why anyone would even consider inbreeding brother and sister of the same sac when there are enough Poecilotheria metallica that are forsale in different sizes.