Inbreeding concerns-Damon diadema

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have 1.1 Damon diadema, siblings, and I am considering breeding them. I don't know if their parents were related...I am somewhat hesitant, I would rather breed unrelated individuals, but the captive-bred gene pool of D. diadema is rather shallow at present. I sold my other male to someone who has two (presumably unrelated) females. There have been several matings, and I am entitled to a proportion of the offspring, so I may just wait a couple of years and breed one or more of those to my current specimens. Any thoughts?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't think it makes much difference - at least for a generation or two - but it's possible that problems might arise further down the road if you continue breeding the offspring together for successive generations. I wouldn't worry about breeding your current pair - but perhaps you could then swap some of their offspring for fresh genetic material from somebody else to broaden your breeding pool for the next generation. (If you ever make it out to Southern California, I'd love to trade with you - I could use a little diversity in my D. diadema gene pool, too!)

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
to the best of my knowledge and 15year breeding experience, it does NOT matter. Often in nature, many specimen live in one cave and never exit it, thus in-breeding occur several times.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think it makes much difference - at least for a generation or two - but it's possible that problems might arise further down the road if you continue breeding the offspring together for successive generations. I wouldn't worry about breeding your current pair - but perhaps you could then swap some of their offspring for fresh genetic material from somebody else to broaden your breeding pool for the next generation. (If you ever make it out to Southern California, I'd love to trade with you - I could use a little diversity in my D. diadema gene pool, too!)
I like the idea of deepening the gene pool a bit...next time I plan on being in your area, we can arrange a trade :)

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
to the best of my knowledge and 15year breeding experience, it does NOT matter. Often in nature, many specimen live in one cave and never exit it, thus in-breeding occur several times.
Good point!