In your opinion:

In your opinion, can shipping tarantulas out of the state without a permit hurt the hobby as a whole

• Total voters

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If enough people get caught shipping tarantulas out of the states without a permit can it hurt the hobby as a whole?

I would love to hear everyone's reasoning on this as well.

I have been asked several times to ship out of the states and I've always said no because I don't want to hurt the hobby. So, my vote is "yes" it can hurt the hobby, in my opinion.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It does hurt the hobby, it draws negativity to something that really is not negative. But for me it's even more basic then that, there are laws and those laws are in place for reasons. I may not understand all of those laws, but I don't typically wake up and try and figure out how to break those laws.

I guess its to each his or her own. If someone in the US wants to risk breaking the Lacey Act,(and other laws regarding importing and exporting) and putting their butt in a sling by all means knock yourself out, I can't stop them. There will always be the ones that are looking to make a buck and willing to risk that. I'd like to think those people are the minority.

And then there is that true saying "the few spoil the many."
That is so true when it comes to this subject. Hopefully for every 1 person not doing it right there are 1000's doing it right.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
stupid people can futz ANYTHING up.

if some idiot packs poorly and somehow a postal worker catches a face of urts and goes blind in one eye... that would well monkeywrench things, i think

one should always ship using legal methods, of course

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh and plus I never understood how someone could justify 10's of 1000's in fines one could get for sending something illegally, just to send something that might have made them a coupla hundered bucks if that. Does that make sense to anyone else?:confused:

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
The fact that it involves international borders, I think its sick people would take advantage of the trust the US shares with Canada, enough to keep the borders relatively open.

As for other countries, it isn't worth it anyway, whether you can get away with it or not.
Yes, it most certainly can hurt the hobby.

Now, for what we do in the US, careful saying how much we ship using legal methods, you break rules more then you think.

-Sean

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think it goes without saying any negitive coverage of tarantulas would be bad for the hobby. i dont think small orders like one or two tarantulas would be to bad its the problems that could stem from larger orders that would have me worried . but its done every day. im sure some ppl just don't care or have differnt veiws.i for one would never export out of the states without the proper paper work. on the other hand i would probably cave and support it if i was on the reciving end of a really good deal so i guess i cant really talk :eek:

just my 2 cents

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Shipping live animals is such a dangerous task no matter how harmful or harmless the animal might be. Taking a gamble should be enough of an incentive to get a permit to ship them. Just like it's already been said, hopefully it's like 1 out of 1000 that is the idiot of the bunch.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
would it really be worth the legality crap and fines for you just because the seller thought he could sneak a spider through the mail system and failed? if you have to be shady, at least be shady correctly.

and out of curiosity, how much would one of those permits be?

Last edited:

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
and out of curiosity, how much would one of those permits be?
About 100 bucks each, for import/export/then one for each species that is endangered or on cites or otherwise protected, as I understand it, but I do not know of all of the stuff needed.

http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-3.pdf

Here is the general permit stuff but you need to really read the rules, It depends on what you are shipping and where.
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_01/50cfr13_01.html

It is 18 month in jail, seizures of animals, and heavy fines.

As we see in this.
http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/fls/PressReleases/061024-01.html

Huge note, I do not have a permit, have never had a permit and do not know how to get a permit, but have done a little research into it.

Note that you can pay fees but you may not get a the permit.

But here is what i know

You need.
1.) a general permit.
2.) import/export permit
3.) permits for each animal imported that is protected/endangered.
4.) and maybe a permit that is for non designated ports, ie the person you are getting the animal from does not have or need a permit to export.

I would love for a importer/exporter to come here and talk about this, but that will never happen, as it would be counter productive to them making money. Which is the only reason that america has high prices for easyly breed and kept species.

I will do more research as soon as this term is over. I'm really wondering what it will take.

<Edit>
Ok it just may be the 100 bucks and 55 buck inspection fee.

Last edited: