In the darrrrrrk???

gaully

Arachnopeon
Do burrowing T's need light or can they survive in darkness all their lives

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My burrower seems to spend a lot of time in the dark, but I keep him in an area where if he comes out of his borrow, it's light during the day, and dark at night. I've read a natural day/night cycle is important for Ts, for molting or something, not sure how true it is, but it can't hurt, and it's not something I have to go out of my way to accomplish. Just no direct sunlight :embarrassed:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All tarantulas are nocturnal, so whether the T is arboreal, terrestrial, or a burrower, all Ts prefer the dark over light any time. Of course it could effect their lifecycle, especially if you are trying to breed Ts.

Last edited:

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
not having a light on a T won't kill them, but it might alter their natural cycles which include hunting and molting. I wouldn't worry too much about keeping them in a poorly lit room.

The Shadow

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
All tarantulas are nocturnal, so whether the T is arboreal, terrestrial, or a burrower, all Ts prefer the dark over light any time. Of course it could effect their lifecycle, especially if you are trying to breed Ts.
Really? My Ts are in the dark almost all the time; I can not keep them near a window here at college. They have not complained, yet. :eek:

I thought keeping them in medium/near dark conditions was bad.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes they will survive with no light. there is no proof that light does anything for t's health wise.

† [sandi] †

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have my Ts in darker side of my room. and have my windows allways closed so the direct sunlight doesn't come in the room. and have to say that T's like that. There are many more spiders that you are seeing only at the evening or night are out by me at the day too. such a speceies as Ceratogyrus, Poecilotheria, Ephebopus, Psalmopoeus....are allmost all the time to see. The T's are more active durnning the day too. so i have that for a good thing.

regards

sandi