In over my head, what's a more intermediate Aboreal?

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
Hey guys, glad to see you all again. I'm able to get a new tarantula, and on near impulse, I purchased an H. Mac yesterday morning. However, after research lasting literally a whole day, I decided that's probably not the best idea in my experience. I've owned only an A. Seemanni, juvie (from sling) C. Cyaneopubescens, and a sling A. Juruensis. I've rehoused the Avic twice, but bear in mind it's like half an inch at most. A jump to OW - and probably considered more of a leap if anything, seems less intelligent by the minute. For now I'm waiting to hear back from Fear Not regarding a refund, but instead I would like to remain interested in aboreals. I've been wanting something that webs and out enough to make it worth any sort of dollar. I've been eyeing Psalmo's, specifically a cambridgei or reduncus, and I was curious if this is optimal for an intermediate owner. I would love to move into OW's, but the reputation OW aboreals receive has really turned me off towards them for the time being.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
Thank you. Was scouring deep and couldn't find this thread.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Not trying to be a jerk but seriously, do the research next time before you get the spider. Lots of people keep H mac, the info is out there

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
Not trying to be a jerk but seriously, do the research next time before you get the spider. Lots of people keep H mac, the info is out there
No, of course such. You say it because it's entirely true. Luckily the order hasn't gone through yet, so really no-one is hurt aside from my wallet for the timebeing. I was doing the research up until the order too, but the reputation for the species became a lot more apparent at further examination. Really, I thought I could do it for a while - but realization settled in when describing the species to others. That venom potency and speed is no joke.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Caribena verisiclor, Caribena laeta, Ybyrapora diversipes, Ybyrapora sooretama are good next arboreals that fit your webbing desire and are NW and you can’t go wrong with them. Psalmopoeus cambridgei aren’t heavy webbing like Aviculariinae like Caribena spp. are, they burrow more and live low down in burrows and dirt curtain hides and since you say you’ve only gone through two rehouses they can be extremely fast you may not be ready for them, and they are more moisture dependent and I’m not sure how comfortable you are with maintaining that, something to consider

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
Caribena verisiclor, Caribena laeta, Ybyrapora diversipes, Ybyrapora sooretama are good next arboreals that fit your webbing desire and are NW and you can’t go wrong with them. Psalmopoeus cambridgei aren’t heavy webbing like Aviculariinae like Caribena spp. are, they burrow more and live low down in burrows and dirt curtain hides and since you say you’ve only gone through two rehouses they can be extremely fast you may not be ready for them, and they are more moisture dependent and I’m not sure how comfortable you are with maintaining that, something to consider
Thank you for weighing in, I've done my fair share of rehouses with other species, just as an Arboreal it seems you follow a tad bit different methology. I take them serious though, despite the fact the species I own now are relatively safe. Thank you for the reccomendations, too! I've been really intrigued in a C. Vers, it's just my preferred vendor lacks any at the moment. I think I could be ready for a Psalmo - but you do raise the moisture aspects. Aside from a waterdish, would I just pour water when the top is dry? To my knowledge moisture on the bottom layers is optimal.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
get something in the psalmo family before going to OW arboreals (they have similar behavior) if you feel you aren't ready. Although i personally don't believe in the ladder system past your first spider.

Scp682

Arachnoknight
Just be careful and do research next time, maybe take a little break from acquisitions til you get to the level you're comfortable at with getting more. Slow and steady. Just remember if you handle a situation right you can make almost anything work out.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I've been wanting something that webs and out enough to make it worth any sort of dollar. I've been eyeing Psalmo's, specifically a cambridgei or reduncus, and I was curious if this is optimal for an intermediate owner. I would love to move into OW's, but the reputation OW aboreals receive has really turned me off towards them for the time being.

Caribena versicolor, Avicularia avicularia, or Psalmopoeus cambridgei would be good choices.

Caribena and Avicularia are truly arboreal and will make web tubes, whereas Psalmopoeus tend to make dirt curtains near ground level.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
If you're looking into get a faster arboreal with attitude, but not quite ready for the venom OW pack in their bites, I highly suggest P. cambridgei. Otherwise, C. versicolor is a great option as they're definitely faster and more skittish than an Avic. avic. However, don't count out a Pokie. Other than their tendency to spaz out and run in circles, I've had better luck with rehousing Pokies than any of the Psalmopoeus I've ever kept. I've only ever seen a threat posture from any Pokie I've kept once, and that was a P. ornata adult female, which are known to be a more defensive species

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
Gotcha. Thank you all! I think I'm going to look into a P. Cambridgei or Reduncus, leaning to the former.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Psalmopoeus are a great genus. They bring the speed and a nasty bite, but less severe than an H. maculata.

I have six psalms species (1 juvenile, 5 slings). The reduncus is out more and tends to be bolder and less skittish than the cambridgei. It’s also the smaller of the two. Don’t get me wrong, they are still skittish. Your likely to find more people owning the cambridgei which makes it a better choice for care questions, although psalm care is pretty consistent across the board IMO. They’ll tend to retreat vs. stay for a fight. And these are relatively fast growers.

In whatever you go with in regards to psalms you can expect a reclusive T. As they grow they tend to emerge more often. The cambridgei is the more impressive looker, but it’s in the eye of the beholder. Something about the green undertone does it for me.

cold blood

Staff member
Gotcha. Thank you all! I think I'm going to look into a P. Cambridgei or Reduncus, leaning to the former.
those are good choices...reduncus is much smaller than cam, and much harder to find...but still a great species, obviously.

I see mine out daily, but she hides at times....my cams dont hide.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
As said a million times. P.cam. Grow fast and awesome looking T’s. Fairly hardy as far as I’m concerned

Seemannnni

Arachnoknight
Ordered! Settled with a P. Cam, in addition to starter enclosure and food. Going to make my own eventually, but I need to study up on husbandry which seems quite explanatory, to be honest.

cold blood

Staff member