In need of some urgent help. Leopard gecko

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Going to cut to the chase. Decided to do a rescue on a leopard gecko. Was given to gf for free. I saw enclosure and was like let’s get her up and running as I felt bad for her and I have knowledge on how to keep (healthy ones for that matter) after getting home and seeing her, she’s in EXTREMELY poor condition. Sever mouth rot, stuck shed, toes lost. Shrunken tail, eyes sealed shut, etc... I get to work getting stuck shed off so she can see again. But she’s dropping toes in the process so I let her be after soaking her. My main concern is healing this mouth rot. Can any EXPERIENCED leo keepers lend me some insight on what I should do. I really want to give this girl a chance. I know how to set up enclosure as I’m in the process of making that happen (what she came in was awful). Advice on getting her back in great health would be greatly appreciated. I’ve never dealt with a sick animal like this because I’ve always kept mine in the best possible manner.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
All I could say is provide humidity box in a temporary tank to monitor the gecko. I would provide more food with calcium and d3 and go se a vet immediately, it is definitely not in a diy fix stage. I would also check for medabalic bone disease. So sorry. Hope the gecko recovers

Poonjab

Arachnoking
All I could say is provide humidity box in a temporary tank to monitor the gecko. I would provide more food with calcium and d3 and go se a vet immediately, it is definitely not in a diy fix stage. I would also check for medabalic bone disease. So sorry. Hope the gecko recovers
Well aware this is going to take some time. I’m pissed off right now. The heat sources being used aren’t even correct. I do plan on calling a vet tomorrow and seeing what my options are for obtaining antibiotics to cure the mouth rot. A moist hide is in the works. Among a host of other things. I suppose my question however was is the vet ultimately necessary or can this be cured with some TLC?

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
It is possible but I don’t know how you would deal with the eyes sealed shut. You would have to do a lot of research and buy medicine. Also please provide pictures. Most of the things can be fixed at home. It just depends on what you are willing to do by yourself

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
I would definitely go for a vet on this one, given the urgency and severity. They may charge you an arm and a leg but they really do know what they are doing, and if this individual can be fixed up, it will be.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
It is possible but I don’t know how you would deal with the eyes sealed shut. You would have to do a lot of research and buy medicine. Also please provide pictures. Most of the things can be fixed at home. It just depends on what you are willing to do by yourself
I got the eyes unsealed with soaking her in a low, Luke warm bath. They were stuck due to layers of stuck shed. She was kept on sand. One hide. No temperature gradient. I realized the light this idiot was using was literally cooking her. It’s late and my extra supplies are limited. I made some better arrangements so she can at least have a more comfortable night. But tomorrow plan on getting right supplies first thing.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I would definitely go for a vet on this one, given the urgency and severity. They may charge you an arm and a leg but they really do know what they are doing, and if this individual can be fixed up, it will be.
That was my concern. Not that I won’t try to help it. Was just really hoping it wasn’t going to come to that.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
D0783589-7E32-48EA-8591-A4FE18B840CD.jpeg 860E1AAC-434C-4AD9-BC7C-F3EC5759C254.jpeg Absolutely enrages me. After some more research it will have to be on antibiotics. So I’m going to call a vet tomorrow morning.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
or can this be cured with some TLC?
Post vet and following up on all that, nutrition. Best possible diet for an animal with a potentially weak or compromised digestive tract. Avoid ultra high proteins and concentrated foods. Let the metabolism, digestion and immune system come up to speed. And of course as you said, ideal habitat and comfort zone. At the end of the day, it's going to be mom nature that brings the critter around. Help her out.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Called vet this morning. Only exotic vet in the area. They are booked out through March. I’m like I’m confident in my diagnosis, just give me the meds and I’ll do it myself. I don’t have months to wait.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Update: going all in. Got her to eat a mixture of pedialyte and baby food. Seemed very receptive as it’s obvious she hast eaten in months due to sores in mouth. Also... going to have a word with previous owner. I’m not happy about state of this gecko

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
If you were able to see the vet and they were to prescribe antibiotics it's likely going to be amoxicillin. You can get Fishmox on the internet or maybe a pet store, and it's the exact same amoxicillin your own doc would give you for most infections. We always keep some in the house and I have even had to use it myself for a molar issue and it definitely works and is definitely the same thing.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
If you were able to see the vet and they were to prescribe antibiotics it's likely going to be amoxicillin. You can get Fishmox on the internet or maybe a pet store, and it's the exact same amoxicillin your own doc would give you for most infections. We always keep some in the house and I have even had to use it myself for a molar issue and it definitely works and is definitely the same thing.
Oh right!! I forgot about that. I too buy that online and have used it for a sinus infection. I’m going to do research on what is usually used in these cases. I would normally never play doctor to this degree on my reptiles, but this poor girl needs attention ASAP or deaths right around the corner. She bit me last night when soaking and getting off stuck shed. I could see in her mouth and she has a bad abscess along with the mouth rot. With not being able to get into the vet for another month, I’m willing to take chances to get her healthy and comfortable. Damned if I do damned if I don’t type of deal.

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
Oh right!! I forgot about that. I too buy that online and have used it for a sinus infection. I’m going to do research on what is usually used in these cases. I would normally never play doctor to this degree on my reptiles, but this poor girl needs attention ASAP or deaths right around the corner. She bit me last night when soaking and getting off stuck shed. I could see in her mouth and she has a bad abscess along with the mouth rot. With not being able to get into the vet for another month, I’m willing to take chances to get her healthy and comfortable. Damned if I do damned if I don’t type of deal.
Good to know you've used it yourself and my suggestion didn't sound like talking out my butt. I don't actually have any reptile experience (like, I don't even know how hard a leo can bite, did she draw blood?) so I don't know how to go about administering it or what the dosage would be. I agree though, you gotta do what you gotta do, unless you come across something that says you shouldn't. Crossing my fingers for her, I'm glad she's in good hands now.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Good to know you've used it yourself and my suggestion didn't sound like talking out my butt. I don't actually have any reptile experience (like, I don't even know how hard a leo can bite, did she draw blood?) so I don't know how to go about administering it or what the dosage would be. I agree though, you gotta do what you gotta do, unless you come across something that says you shouldn't. Crossing my fingers for her, I'm glad she's in good hands now.
No blood drawn. I’ve kept reptiles for a good portion of my life. However... when you meet their husbandry needs, you generally don’t run into situations this bad because you correct issues before they get bad enough. From pics I saw, I was like eh, in bad shape but I can fix her. Got her home was like oh no!! This seems above my pay grade, but was hopeful it could cure with tlc which I’ve ultimately found is not the case. I’m going to give it my best shot. Right now it’s just getting everything else up to her needs until I can get her in to a vet. My gf is hell bent on me not self euthanizing the poor thing as bad as that sounds. The massive abscess in the roof of the mouth is the most concerning thing as that can be extremely fatal. Also... being back in college I don’t exactly have deep pockets atm. But so everyone is aware, I’m digging deep to hopefully treat some other incompetent dingleberries lack of compassion and care for THEIR animal. Will keep updated

Schiem

Arachnopeon
You didn't hear it from me, but you can get a lot of the meds that vets prescribe at farm stores (Orshceln, Tractor Supply, etc). You'd have to dilute them appropriately though.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
You didn't hear it from me, but you can get a lot of the meds that vets prescribe at farm stores (Orshceln, Tractor Supply, etc). You'd have to dilute them appropriately though.
Beat me too it. Browsing some boards online I was able to narrow down what they use and it just so happens I can order it. Last thing to do is figure out how much to administer, which I have an idea. Just got last of stuck shed off her toes and applied a reptile soothing and healing ointment to that and sores around mouth, so Imagine that’s a relief. Feeling more optimistic at this point.

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
No blood drawn. I’ve kept reptiles for a good portion of my life. However... when you meet their husbandry needs, you generally don’t run into situations this bad because you correct issues before they get bad enough. From pics I saw, I was like eh, in bad shape but I can fix her. Got her home was like oh no!! This seems above my pay grade, but was hopeful it could cure with tlc which I’ve ultimately found is not the case. I’m going to give it my best shot. Right now it’s just getting everything else up to her needs until I can get her in to a vet. My gf is hell bent on me not self euthanizing the poor thing as bad as that sounds. The massive abscess in the roof of the mouth is the most concerning thing as that can be extremely fatal. Also... being back in college I don’t exactly have deep pockets atm. But so everyone is aware, I’m digging deep to hopefully treat some other incompetent dingleberries lack of compassion and care for THEIR animal. Will keep updated
Ugh. There are few types of people worse than those who would neglect an animal to that extent and then pawn it off to be someone else's problem. I feel your gf on this one, you won't know if you don't try, but chances are you could be throwing money at a lost cause. I think you're doing the right thing by trying everything you can, that abscess sounds terrible though. You're probably aware of this but there are many reptile rescue organizations that advertise on craigslist, maybe they'd be willing to give you some advice and maybe supplies.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Ugh. There are few types of people worse than those who would neglect an animal to that extent and then pawn it off to be someone else's problem. I feel your gf on this one, you won't know if you don't try, but chances are you could be throwing money at a lost cause. I think you're doing the right thing by trying everything you can, that abscess sounds terrible though. You're probably aware of this but there are many reptile rescue organizations that advertise on craigslist, maybe they'd be willing to give you some advice and maybe supplies.
That’s a good idea. I think there is one in my area now that I think about it