In need of opinions

Tick77

Arachnopeon
I purchased my first T about two weeks ago, a G. Rosea. I am now ready for my 2nd T. I have it narrowed down to three, A. Avicularia, B. Smithi, and G. Auerostriatum. My rosie is really a pet rock, I was wanting something a little more active. Any suggestions?

nichjohnsson

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a very active Avic. braunshauseni.
If you want something very active I would recommend a Iridopelma,they are very agressive and fast,but they don't have a strong venom,they are also are beautiful and are very energetic:)

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
you didn't mention them but i would recommend L parahybana or A geniculata:clap:

nichjohnsson

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A. geniculata they are natural kickers!
But I think they're the white smith :worship:

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not many tarantula are really active. Of the three you mentioned you'll see the B. Smithi and G. Auerostriatum more than the avic. L parahybana and A geniculata do make great display animals.

John

Neophyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Out of the list you gave. Something more quick and active, but not agressive would be the A. Avic =)

nichjohnsson

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah!
But if you want something realyyyyyy active you should buy an Iridopelma!

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
gat an lp cheap grow fast and huge

and they eat like pigs;)

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i have 2 avic avics most boring ts imo

and yes i have a rosie

mine just sit around and barely eat

still voting for lp;)

Tick77

Arachnopeon
I also don't want anything that is too defensive. I am leaning toward getting an arboreal, so maybe the Avic is the way to go. Thanks again everyone

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
you might think about a psalmopoeus instead of an avic for a NW arboreal too... irminia springs to mind

not that there's anything wrong with an avic, just trying to give you options:D

Tick77

Arachnopeon
you might think about a psalmopoeus instead of an avic for a NW arboreal too... irminia springs to mind

not that there's anything wrong with an avic, just trying to give you options:D
Thanks Skippy, I need all the help I can get.:confused:

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
lasiodora parahybana;)
A. geniculata. They're gorgeous, always out and visible, get BIG, can be easily handled, and eat like I've never seen anything else do. They will eat as much as you give them, every time. Any crickets uneaten by my other Ts I toss in with my A. genic and they're all toast withing seconds. Great spider, even if it isn't the usual uber defensive ones that I'm drawn to.

--the nature boy

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The problem with arboreal species is that they tend to dissapear behind a plie of silk. If you don't mind not seeing them for long periods of time they are great. The exception seems to be pokies.

John

IrishPolishman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I really like my B. Smithis. They are great voracious eaters and are always out in the open. They also seem to grow somewhat quickly. Try to get a T that's a little more challenging. The problem I ran into is that I got bored and started buying every T out there. I say just jump in and get an OBT...very active and fun to watch. My OBT is always hungry.