In need of hungry new addition...

MightyVlork

Arachnopeon
So I have a small collection of ball pythons and I've found a few of them to be finicky eaters. One week slam a rat, the next week no interest. I know its normal, but I'm tired of wasting frozen rats. Its both ethicaly and monetarily problematic. Need some suggestions for a new addition who will be readily hungry to eat up that extra mouse once a week or so. A kingsnake was suggested by one friend, so I am in search of an adult as it stabds. Any ideas of something i can count on to slam a few mice? Im open to anything, preferably not a major upkeep project and pref not any snakes bigger my BPs.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Corns, Russian Rat snakes (An absolute fave of mine), D'albertis pythons

Last edited:

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
So I have a small collection of ball pythons and I've found a few of them to be finicky eaters. One week slam a rat, the next week no interest. I know its normal, but I'm tired of wasting frozen rats. Its both ethicaly and monetarily problematic. Need some suggestions for a new addition who will be readily hungry to eat up that extra mouse once a week or so. A kingsnake was suggested by one friend, so I am in search of an adult as it stabds. Any ideas of something i can count on to slam a few mice? Im open to anything, preferably not a major upkeep project and pref not any snakes bigger my BPs.
A lot of snake keepers actually keep Tegus for that exact reason. Now I don't know if you'd be interested in that at all but figured I'd throw out thst recommendation as well 🤙

MightyVlork

Arachnopeon
I should add, it does not have to be a snake. Tegu is a great suggestion! Anything that eats frozen thawed mice. Once i have a few ideas i can weigh the pros and cons, altho i assume Tegus require a great deal of attention.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I should add, it does not have to be a snake. Tegu is a great suggestion! Anything that eats frozen thawed mice. Once i have a few ideas i can weigh the pros and cons, altho i assume Tegus require a great deal of attention.
They do. They are very intelligent animals that need handling from a very young age and a very large enclosure. Not as large as most monitors, but yes.

I'm far from an expert. Just offering a helping hand. But I do hear they are a joy to own. More like a dog then a lizard haha!

MightyVlork

Arachnopeon
Yeah, enclosure size is an issue for me, otherwise I'd just buy a dwarf caiman and call it a day hahaha

Low profile helps.

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Friend, I am brand new to spiders, but I can help you (& anyone else having troubles) with your persnickety pythons. It's not always a fun fix, but it is 99 & 100% effective (shy other physical/husbandry complications) respectively, & that is hamster or chick. Those will fix the problem gauranteed. If, by some slim chance the hamster doesn't, the fowl (chicken or duck) will. If you only feed prekilled, sometimes just offering a live item can snap them back into it as well. Generally, it only takes one such feeding to get them back on track for a good while, if not cure them completely.

Two short legs

Arachnopeon
Pythons can be like that,if it doesn't eat from week to week,not a real problem.some warm the food up with a hair dryer,or cut into the head. It maybe just the time of year.don't go down the way of life food,reasons for this.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Just alter their feedings so you only feed 1 on a given day. If one doesn't eat one of the others will.