In need of help

southerncat

Arachnopeon
We are looking to expand our protocol to include arachnids. I have looked around for a good list of them by venom and aggression but could not find what I was looking for. The Spider Shoppe use to have a very good list but looks like he is redoing his web site.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cathy

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
First off, welcome to teh boards! you mnade a wise choice, and i'm sure that you will get a helpful answer.

2nd, who's "we"? are you a petstore, or a family, or what?

once i get atht answered, i'll be able to help more. :)

southerncat

Arachnopeon
Sorry...We as in Repticon..Atleast that is what we want to do here in SC.

Thanks in Advance for your help.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We are looking to expand our protocol to include arachnids. I have looked around for a good list of them by venom and aggression but could not find what I was looking for. The Spider Shoppe use to have a very good list but looks like he is redoing his web site.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cathy
so what exactly is your question??

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
their question is what types of spiders to get.

and, i'm sorry, i know i'm stupid, bt what's a repticon? lol. sorry for the suspense of my answer. :cool:

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
No, the question is is there a list somewhere that lists species by venom toxicity and aggression.
Not that I know of.

Squeaksville

Arachnopeon
:confused: Reading all of that just confused myself and could of sworn I knew what the question was. Hmmmmm :rolleyes:

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the question is: "do you know a good list of tarantulas by venom potentialness (sp)?"

southerncat

Arachnopeon
Repticon= Reptile and Exotic Animals show

We are a company based in Florida. We also do shows in SC that are venomous included. We have a protocol that I am revising and wanted to add arachnids. This protocol would be the safety rules that vendors must follow when dealing with any venomous. This is a safety measure that we take to ensure that guests, vendors and staff are safe.

This is what I have come up with so far:
There are way to many arachnids to list, so we have decided that all Sorpions except Emps and Tailless should be secured with tape and also all Spiders except RoseHairs and PinkToes.

Thanks

Cathy

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Repticon= Reptile and Exotic Animals show

We are a company based in Florida. We also do shows in SC that are venomous included. We have a protocol that I am revising and wanted to add arachnids. This protocol would be the safety rules that vendors must follow when dealing with any venomous. This is a safety measure that we take to ensure that guests, vendors and staff are safe.

This is what I have come up with so far:
There are way to many arachnids to list, so we have decided that all Sorpions except Emps and Tailless should be secured with tape and also all Spiders except RoseHairs and PinkToes.

Thanks

Cathy
not sure that will be a good idea. There are few scorpions that will do real harm. Most will just hurt you. Also tarantulas most of them are not going to do more than hurt if they bite you , some of the old world ones carry more porent venom but even there there is no known death due to a tarantula bite. also, most bug people will want to be able to see the bug well before a purchase... some like me are dumb enough to want to look for sexing purposes which is hard to to with the enclsure taped up. Really there are relativly few bugs that are going to be medicaly significant . However if you want to prevent anyone getting a bite that may hurt a bit , then you have to keep them all securly enclosed. even G.rosea, they are skitzo bugs and some are more agressive than OW species. Mine is a pet rock tho lol
I think the best thing to do is make sure that the vendors have plenty of help and are making sure little johnny dosent come over and grap a pokey off the table and play catch sith it. if you keep idiots from handling them there shouldnt be a bite anyway. After all they arent rattle snakes or anythign.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
protocol

From other discussions on the boards, it seems ANY T can be unpredictable at any time, regardless of species, eg. stories of psycho rosies, so I think the only protocol needed would be 'no handling of the T'. No need for special taping etc, just vendors being alert as mentioned. Standard packaging should be fine.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
not sure that will be a good idea. There are few scorpions that will do real harm. Most will just hurt you. Also tarantulas most of them are not going to do more than hurt if they bite you , some of the old world ones carry more porent venom but even there there is no known death due to a tarantula bite. also, most bug people will want to be able to see the bug well before a purchase... some like me are dumb enough to want to look for sexing purposes which is hard to to with the enclsure taped up. Really there are relativly few bugs that are going to be medicaly significant . However if you want to prevent anyone getting a bite that may hurt a bit , then you have to keep them all securly enclosed. even G.rosea, they are skitzo bugs and some are more agressive than OW species. Mine is a pet rock tho lol
I think the best thing to do is make sure that the vendors have plenty of help and are making sure little johnny dosent come over and grap a pokey off the table and play catch sith it. if you keep idiots from handling them there shouldnt be a bite anyway. After all they arent rattle snakes or anythign.
From other discussions on the boards, it seems ANY T can be unpredictable at any time, regardless of species, eg. stories of psycho rosies, so I think the only protocol needed would be 'no handling of the T'. No need for special taping etc, just vendors being alert as mentioned. Standard packaging should be fine.
there right, if you dotn handle the Tarantula or scorps than no one gets bit or stung, im sure you can do a search on "the most venomous tarantulas or scorpions that are kept as pets" but the only tarantula(s) ive heard of killing people are the baboon tarantulas, King Baboon (Citharischius crawshayi) specificly (correct me if im wrong i read it in a taranula info book) but that ws most likely becouse there was not enough sufficent medicine to help the poor person, on the other hand the list goes on and on for scorpions, androctonus, buthus, centuroides, hottentotta, leiurus, mesobuthus,parabuthus (again correct me if need be) and im sure theres 2 or 3 times as much of scorps that wont kill/put you in a hospital, but there are plenty of tarantulas and scorions that will put a hurt on you more than death, you may WANT to die but that doesnt meen you will

and if you get your hands on tailess whipscorpions or giant vinergorone theres no need to tape or any thing there a danger more to them selves realy.. there very very skitish

and my g.rosea is like a pet rock also lol

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the only tarantula(s) ive heard of killing people are the baboon tarantulas, King Baboon (Citharischius crawshayi) specificly (correct me if im wrong i read it in a taranula info book) but that ws most likely becouse there was not enough sufficent medicine to help the poor person,
Where on earth did you read that?