impressive "display" t's

illcosby

Arachnopeon
so for my 5th tarantula i want to get a large, aggressive, terrestrial tarantula. this one will not be handled i just want to create an impressive terrarium display. i have a 10 gal tank set up with ample substrate, water dish and a half buried artificial log for a hiding spot. i was considering Pterinochilus, i've read that they're very aggressive and are heavy webers which sounds like cool behavior to observe... any other thoughts, sugestions?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
so for my 5th tarantula i want to get a large, aggressive, terrestrial tarantula. this one will not be handled i just want to create an impressive terrarium display. i have a 10 gal tank set up with ample substrate, water dish and a half buried artificial log for a hiding spot. i was considering Pterinochilus, i've read that they're very aggressive and are heavy webers which sounds like cool behavior to observe... any other thoughts, sugestions?
Well your Pterinochilus sp. would actually not be a very good display spider, more like a display web. This is about the 10th time I've recommended this spider in the last 2 weeks.. Acanthoscurria geniculata, aggressive eater, large, colorful, terrestrial, and visible all the time. Lasiodora sp. also fit this, but aren't AS colorful.

Of course if you want web then go with C.cyaneopubescens or a Chilobrachys sp., they web much more then Pterinochilus sp. and are visible more often.

Last edited:

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
GBB or Blondi.
GBB's web EVERYTHING, move around and are beautifully colored.
Blondi's are huge, beautifull, and tend toward the agressive side. But you many need something a little bigger than a 10gal if you want to put alot of decorations.

illcosby

Arachnopeon
cool thanks for the info guys i will look into the suggested species.

ps what is a GBB??

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A. geniculata, GBB, T. blondi, L. parahybana, would be my first thoughts off the top of my head. Genics are big and beautiful and don't hide once they get to a reasonable size, GBB's have the most fantastic colors, T. blondi's don't seem to hide at all, and are quite big and impressive looking, and paras don't hide and get quite large. In addition all of the ones I mentioned have really big appetites and attack food with great enthusiasm.

Steven.WK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Xenethis immanis are big and gorgeous. Not very aggressive but will kick and spin. Megaphobema robustum and mesomelas are also nice and colorful but not as big. They will spin like a top when bothered. Citharischius crawshayi is another gorgeous pet rock but not a very good display animal if you have substrate. They love to burrow and can go for months without eating. The A. genic was a good suggestion. This species is so beautiful but I can't stand the hairs. GBB are not very big and they web a lot.