imported scorps

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just got some very detailed info about how we get our Emps from the w coast of Africa. Someone here went to there for two weeks to see how the exporters operate. He said he watched workers get bars like rock bars and pry up plugs of dirt and break open the burrows to get the scorps out, buckets of 1000s of scorpions. The workers literally get paid 25 cents a day. That's good enough money over there. Really a great thing that we get these scorpions so cheap with all the work that goes into getting them here. I appreciate my imported scorps allot more after hearing that long story and inspired me to want to try and breed what I've got more. It's bad that they are tearing up everything over there. It sounded pretty bad. Sounds like we need allot more breeding going on over here. I believed that anyway but that story was pretty sobering.

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The workers literally get paid 25 cents a day. That's good enough money over there..
how would you know that? cause the imported/exporter said it?
is it enough to live a life like you do in your place?
If not then IMO its not good enough.

Andre2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I don't want to be naive, but why don't you all stop buying these? Surely the wholesale-dealer will scratch his head a few times before importing, when nobody wants them anymore....

Stop buying it! That's the only REAL solution. How the hell is it possible anyway that from the 100.000's imported during the last years, there is still a demand for this species..?????

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No, sorry I didn't phrase that very well. It's enough money to motivate them to do it but no, it's not good money. A bad situation over there. Most people make one US $ a week over there. At the same time, one US $ can go a long way over there. Huge diff in currency valuation. But it's so bad that there is not much to buy. After hearing it the story, I'd only recommend buying one if someone wanted to try and breed it. That might eventually stop the importing of them or at least greatly reduce it, ...captive breeding. Sounds like it's catching on a little more, a long way to go if it ever happens. I doubt it will but it may have to happen eventually. I'm for stopping wc imports. Prices would go up but that's ok. I think people would take better care of the animal. I think the demand is always up because people take them for granted, which was the point of the thread. I think many people don't take care for them properly, they die, and only get one and don't try to breed them. If some people started breeding them in mass here, there might be some money to be made, esp if the gov over there does finally stop it. It only takes a couple of years to reach breeding age.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well, in some places a million US dollars wouldnt allow you to live a life like we can here for 30,000 per year. I dont know about this place , but i know some places there just isnt enough infastructure to live at even the poverty level here. But , also think about this. many of those people dont want what we have, and if its enough to have plenty to eat and drink its quite enough for them. Lets face it, even some of the poorest in the west are spoiled compared to many other places.

marcelo_987

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I don't want to be naive, but why don't you all stop buying these? Surely the wholesale-dealer will scratch his head a few times before importing, when nobody wants them anymore....

Stop buying it! That's the only REAL solution. How the hell is it possible anyway that from the 100.000's imported during the last years, there is still a demand for this species..?????
There is still a demand for them because of all the people who own a scorpion, only 2% of owners are active in researching and finding info on scorpions. I hate to say but I think most scorpions sold die off within 6 months after being bought. Look at all the new people who buy emps and tell us on the forums that they are currently being kept on sand. I believe for every person who comes on these forums there is 100's who just don't care enough to read into their pets.

The problem isn't that WE (knowledgeble people) are buying them, it's first time scorpion owners that are buying them, beside if some you guys don't know- the cb emps for sale in the AB classifieds are hell of a lot cheaper than the pet store.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There is still a demand for them because of all the people who own a scorpion, only 2% of owners are active in researching and finding info on scorpions. I hate to say but I think most scorpions sold die off within 6 months after being bought. Look at all the new people who buy emps and tell us on the forums that they are currently being kept on sand. I believe for every person who comes on these forums there is 100's who just don't care enough to read into their pets.

The problem isn't that WE (knowledgeble people) are buying them, it's first time scorpion owners that are buying them, beside if some you guys don't know- the cb emps for sale in the AB classifieds are hell of a lot cheaper than the pet store.
lol yeah they are like 16.95 at petco lol

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you start breeding scorps then the catcher will not make any money and might starve :D

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
so, i think emps are on the cites list still?

and there are 100000000000 of them being imported?

so if someone will start CBing them, who will be the one responsible if the "citers" starts to visit your house?

well, im now starting to CB some emps, and plenty of local sp. but... our DENR would like it best if ill pay for a permit. most of those "authority" wants the "$" rather than the conservation. so i still lurk on the shadows... but i hope i can have a change on that...

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you start breeding scorps then the catcher will not make any money and might starve :D
Ha, yeah man, it's a quagmire!

so, i think emps are on the cites list still?

and there are 100000000000 of them being imported?

so if someone will start CBing them, who will be the one responsible if the "citers" starts to visit your house?

well, im now starting to CB some emps, and plenty of local sp. but... our DENR would like it best if ill pay for a permit. most of those "authority" wants the "$" rather than the conservation. so i still lurk on the shadows... but i hope i can have a change on that...
I'm not sure how that works(?) If I remember right, the gov of that exporting country gets $1(CITES) per scorpion, that's allot! And sadly, the gov does not use money to create growth and better living conditions for the people. Indicators say the gov is totally corrupt there. You're so right Kahoy! ...all about the money.

Last edited:

geopet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think the best solution is for the people in the country of origin to captive breed them and export them. They would get more foreign money coming into the country, some employment, their government gets's the CITES money and the environment is protected. WIN all around.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Decent idea..... if they weren't from many developing ("third world") countries. Theres much more important things there then scorpions, mainly having children so they have some sort of social secruity when they age.

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well...
anybody ever planned to cb some and send it back for population control and reintroduction ? lol...i guess they might just get sent back in a different package...rewrapped.

Well i did thought of it...for our local scorpion species that is...catch some and breed and den reintro it back to where they were found...but wat i'm worried about is that some other jokers will go collect them back and sell them instead :cool:

Tat would really be a wated effort :mad:
Maybe i should introduce Tityus seralatus here...and start loosing some collectors...:D

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've got a method of doing this, breeding and letting go allot of the babies go in their native range. If you really decide to do it, you could go out to the country, esp. a state or fed park the animal is native to. Idealistically, it would be good to go to a park and walk back to the fence line where some will go over on to private ranch land. Some might argue about the risk of your inverts passing on a disease or something but I'm not worried about that as much as I would with herps. I've done it with pedes and T's, kind of cool to see them run off.

Andre2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Reintroduce CB's???? How can you say something silly like that? When hobbyists start doing things like that there is no telling what will happen. Also I think the penalties will be (and must be!) severe, depending on where you live.

By reintroducing you mess directly with the genetic pool of the wild populations. Our CB's are often;
-of unknown location
-of undetermined (sub-)species
-the product of incest-breeding
-the possible carriers of native fungal/bacterial/parasitical infections

I understand very well that your suggestions come from positive motives, but what you suggest is really dangerous for the wild populations. Hobbyists like us should not mess with reintroduction of CB's into nature. Leave this to scientifically monitored projects!

marcelo_987

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sometimes when I can't take care of C. hentzi scorplings I drive out to where I caught their parents and release them. If anybody else wants to do this just make 100% certain that those scorpions inhabit where you release them.

Of course Africa is a little far for me to go to release CB emps