Importance of Constant Air-Movement in Stagnant Environment

ZimZum

Arachnosquire
Greetings,

I am a keeper of various Old and New World tarantulas, and I am curious how more experienced keepers maintain constant air-movement in circulation at all times.

To preface, I live in a rather dated apartment that uses window AC units, and I’ve surmised the best way to regulate warm temperatures and appropriate air-flow is by having a radiator and box-fan on perpetually.

I understand the importance of cross-ventilation, and have my specimens housed in appropriately ventilated enclosures, but I feel all that would be for naught if there is no air movement to begin with.

What is everyone’s perspective of maintaining decent air-flow for tarantulas at all times of the year?

Dorifto

He who moists xD
A good enclosure, with plenty of low and top ventilation. You can use active fans too, but a good enclosure will make 90% of the job for you.

Even if "there isn't" any air movement in your room, your enclosure's temp gradient should be enough to move air in and out, having good flow capabilities of course.

For example in my vivariums the air always enters from the bottom, and exits from the top. When the cold air heats and takes moisture it raises to the top, so it creates a lower pressure zone at the bottom, then air enters to equal that pressure, and over and over again. I used some active fans to extract more air, but because I have a pretty humid climate, so I don't want to risk it, having too much humidity inside them.

My setups and active fans
IMG-20200817-WA0006.jpg IMG_20200619_204603__01.jpg

What is everyone’s perspective of maintaining decent air-flow for tarantulas at all times of the year?
That's mandatory to avoid issues, but too much can be detrimental in certain circunstances. You need to find the perfect balance between how you are keeping them and your climate.

Last edited:

ZimZum

Arachnosquire
I had not considered the inconceivable air exchange that takes place with the temperature and moisture gradients you mentioned. That’s very helpful, thank you.

I am one to somewhat scrutinize the moisture retained within my enclosures, so I imagine your comments are applicable to my situation. I just need to get the notion of complete stagnancy out of my head.

Some of my enclosures have 1.8 mm diameter holes along the sides that sparked my concern of not-enough cross-ventilation. I intentionally bored the holes near the top to allow room for plenty of substrate.

Attachments

Dorifto

He who moists xD
You are welcome!

Here you can see more clearly what I mean with low ventilation.

IMG_20200414_151500.jpg

The vents are at the same level of the substrate, this makes the air path easier to the top, and two the T only feels the air current down low, so it's not attracted by any air coming from the top etc like in top vented enclosures etc.

I don't know what kind of species you pretend to use on that enclosure, it could be enought for some species, but not enough for some others, all of this depending on the moisture provided and the type of setup of course.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
I simply use a ceiling fan on low speed.I heat my T room with an oil filled space heater.No forced air heat,just radiant heat.

ZimZum

Arachnosquire
I appreciate the input. I also use an oil-filled space heater, though I’ve also been using a box fan nearby, which I am still contemplating.

I’m planning to house my O. philippinus and C. lividus in these style enclosures. I definitely need to look into making enclosures that offer that same kind of substrate-level ventilation for my arid species. I’m quickly realizing drilling glass is not the best way to create thorough ventilation.

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
Even if "there isn't" any air movement in your room, your enclosure's temp gradient should be enough to move air in and out, having good flow capabilities of course.
There isn't a temp gradient without dedicated viv lighting or other heat additions to the viv. I don't think many keepers light their vivs directly, or supplement heat.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
There isn't a temp gradient without dedicated viv lighting or other heat additions to the viv. I don't think many keepers light their vivs directly, or supplement heat.
It works without any heating, imagine them like little greenhouses. But yes, heating them (via lighting etc) will speed up the process.

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
It works without any heating, imagine them like little greenhouses.
Greenhouses gain heat energy from direct sunlight, which contains IR energy. How does the temp increase in a ventilated box that has no heat added to it?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I use a desk fan to keep cool in the summer, and a ceramic fan heater to heat the room in the winter so those are moving air around the majority of the time.

That said, unless your tarantulas are kept in a hermetically sealed room with no disturbances or temperature changes then air will be moving regardless.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
That doesn't cause a temp gradient unless the temps in the viv differ from ambient, or there is a mass of air in the viv itself that is higher than the rest of the air in the viv itself.
If he gives some moisture to it, yes. Humid air is less dense than dry air, so it goes up.

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
If he gives some moisture to it, yes. Humid air is less dense than dry air, so it goes up.
I was replying to this, as I clearly quoted above in post #7:

It is aggravating when people move the target. Makes helpful folks really reluctant to engage in discussion. Please attempt to understand this.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I don't see where is the problem, but ok.

He uses a ratiador, but it could be any heat type or source, so there is an IR emission across the room > enclosures are greenhouses > trap this energy > moist air is less dense so it's on top, dry air is down low > moist air holds the heat better than dry air, but it takes longer to heat than the dry air (your temp gradient) > hot air goes up and scapes > new air enters > air flow

Now imagine a room without heating, or any source of air movements, providing moisture to the substrate, it will create a humidity gradient too. Making it simple, dry air contains more nitrogen N² molecules, wich are heavier than water molecules H²O, the moisture from the substrate provides that water molecules to the air, displacing nitrogen molecules, this air is then lighter than the dry air, so it goes up too, and scapes, and again air flow.

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
currently i use a window AC unit in my arachnid room set to low fan for constant air circulation, for heat i currently use a radiator space heater set to its lowest setting for heat, and I also have a humidifier to keep the room from becoming dry as well

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Greetings,

I am a keeper of various Old and New World tarantulas, and I am curious how more experienced keepers maintain constant air-movement in circulation at all times.

To preface, I live in a rather dated apartment that uses window AC units, and I’ve surmised the best way to regulate warm temperatures and appropriate air-flow is by having a radiator and box-fan on perpetually.

I understand the importance of cross-ventilation, and have my specimens housed in appropriately ventilated enclosures, but I feel all that would be for naught if there is no air movement to begin with.

Never ever needed a tool for air flow. No fans etc

Just some holes in a box- provided you are not misting etc

Gases move inherently fast- Ts don’t need a breeze.

Not sure why you think you need machines to aid in moving air, when those molecules are already moving

ZimZum

Arachnosquire
Never ever needed a tool for air flow. No fans etc

Just some holes in a box- provided you are not misting etc

Gases move inherently fast- Ts don’t need a breeze.

Not sure why you think you need machines to aid in moving air, when those molecules are already moving
Thank you for your insight. I’m likely going to settle with ditching my box fan.