Impending molt?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok so today i went in my tarantula walk in closet to feed some of them and check up on them and all that. So I checked on my Brazilian Giant Blonde (Nhandu vulpinus) and its abdomen was hanging out of the burrow (probaby remodeling) and it was like a dark black / purple is this a sign of an impending molt? If it is should i take the crickets out?? if its not when what else could be the reason for the dark color?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Normally the skin is a light color so if it was very dark, there is a molt comeing and you should take the food out. I don't think there would be any other reason for that shade on the abdomen. She could be in premolt and molt for quite a while depending on her size so don't expect to see her much for a while.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sounds like premolt. You can put a cricket in and see what happens. If it doesn't take it within 12 hours, remove the cricket. I wouldn't put multiple crickets in with a sling if it is in premolt or not.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok so i took the crickets out..do i need to do anything to the substrate to make sure it will be ok during the molting process? or do I just have to make sure it has enough water for when its done?

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just make sure it has water. He/she will do the rest by himself. :)

It could be a couple of weeks. After the moult, don't give it anything to eat until the fangs turn black--at least a week.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This will be the first time i ever had anything other than a rose hair, or pink toe go into the molting process and i see all these molting problems on this forum and I'm kind of scared something may go wrong.

So there is a water bowl in there filled out and the humidity is in the 80's everything correct?

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, that's correct. Molting problems can happen with any T., all you can do is keep the husbandry correct for the species, and wait.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I find that all of my burrowing species "remodel" as part of the pre-molt process. They always expand the burrow, I guess in anticipation of their soon-to-be larger size.

Don't stress about your T's molt. If you're keeping her properly, the chances of there being a problem are extremely slim. He/she knows what they're doing.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A question for anyone...My T will come out of the hide to flip on their back and molt right?

or will they molt right there in the burrow? The small amount of room in the burrow to me looks like the spider will have to come out of the burrow to molt..do all spiders moult outside their burrow in captivity?

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mine usually molt inside the burrow, but sometimes choose otherwise. They can molt in incredibly small spaces without any problems.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah, it depends on the species. For instance, my g. aureostriata, who is large enough that it is almost always visible, still seals itself up in a burrow when it is ready to molt. My a. geniculata, on the other hand, molts out in the open.