Impaction

Vladerscump

Arachnopeon
I have a Harpactira pulchripes with a huge abdomen and I haven't found poop in her enclosure for a while. I thought at first maybe a dud egg sack but no. How could. I've sure this is her problem? How could I help her?

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I have been observing her that's why I asked. Would there be any indicators she has this issue other than a large abdomen and not finding poop?
Not finding poops does not mean it's impacted.

Check if there is anything around the spinnerets.

Vladerscump

Arachnopeon
Not finding poops does not mean it's impacted.

Check if there is anything around the spinnerets.
Ok if said be the case should I continue to feed her regularly or maybe less? I've always fed her small prey item twice a week. Since she got really big I've skipped feeding her that much. I'm not sure this pic uploaded the first time. Take a look how big she is.

Attachments

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I've never dealt with impaction personally, but from what I've read, just having a large abdomen is not an indicator by itself. If the spider is acting abnormally - listless, scratching at it's rear end incessantly, dragging it's rear end across the substrate, drinking copious amounts of water, etc. - and that behavior is accompanied by an asymmetrical swelling of the abdomen (meaning a lump on one side or the other), then you may have a case of impaction. If you don't see any of the behavioral indicators, then it is very likely just a case of a fat T or one that is preparing to molt.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Ok if said be the case should I continue to feed her regularly or maybe less? I've always fed her small prey item twice a week. Since she got really big I've skipped feeding her that much. I'm not sure this pic uploaded the first time. Take a look how big she is.
Do not feed in a while, it's quite plump. Simply make sure that it has an easy access to a drink.

If you feel that a molt is close (laying a mat (here difficult xD) the chellicerae are more protruded than usual etc) keep a corner slightly moist to help in the molting process.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
A large abdomen is not always an indicator of impaction. It seems like an overfed spdier to me as tarantulas have very slow metabolisms.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
I have dealt with impaction, the only way I confirmed it was impaction was by inspecting the "anus" of the tarantula, and finding a hard crusty substance stuck to it. She survived and molted fine, so Im led to believe it was a partial blockage, but I really couldn't tell a difference in her behavior that alluded to her being impacted. Chances are though your T is just in premolt.

cold blood

Staff member
A large abdomen is not always an indicator of impaction
not only is it not always an indicator, its almost never an indicator. With all the hype around impaction, many are led to believe its a common occurrence, its not, in fact, its extremely rare. As mentioned, crust around the anus would be the best indicator, but even then, seeing a crusty butt isn't always an impaction indicator either, just the most common for this uncommon occurrence.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Your spider is very fat and possibly in premolt. Impaction is actually really uncommon. I had it happen once when a piece of a previous molt was obstructing the spider's anus. And this spider was acting sick for a long time and had dried feces caked around its anus. If your spider is behaving normally then I wouldn't worry. Most likely overfed and in premolt.