I'm Worried About My Emperor

RKG109

Arachnopeon
I bought my Emperor yesterday, after much research about Emperor Sorpions I finally bought one. I set up my vivarium but I'm am seriously worried about the conditions in the vivarium. I placed the heat mat on the side but there doesn't seem to be much heat coming from the mat even though it is insulated on one side. The temperature is about 27 degrees celcius and the soil feels a bit cold. Humidity is ok at 80%. At the moment he is sitting in his burrow, I bought a hollowed out half tree trunk to use as his burrow, and he has just eaten a couple of crickets.

Am I worrying too much or is there reason for concern?

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bought my Emperor yesterday, after much research about Emperor Sorpions I finally bought one. I set up my vivarium but I'm am seriously worried about the conditions in the vivarium. I placed the heat mat on the side but there doesn't seem to be much heat coming from the mat even though it is insulated on one side. The temperature is about 27 degrees celcius and the soil feels a bit cold. Humidity is ok at 80%. At the moment he is sitting in his burrow, I bought a hollowed out half tree trunk to use as his burrow, and he has just eaten a couple of crickets.

Am I worrying too much or is there reason for concern?
27 degrees is ok..... but I must say that in my own personal experience, heat mats aren't the best source of heat around.

You'll be best taking a trip over to the pet store and buying an infra-red heat lamp, maybe 50w or less (can't find any lower here in the UK) but this provides an excellent 24 hour a day heat source, it's also brilliant for observing your Scorpion of a night time as I believe red isn't included in a Scorpions color spectrum.

RKG109

Arachnopeon
27 degrees is ok..... but I must say that in my own personal experience, heat mats aren't the best source of heat around.

You'll be best taking a trip over to the pet store and buying an infra-red heat lamp, maybe 50w or less (can't find any lower here in the UK) but this provides an excellent 24 hour a day heat source, it's also brilliant for observing your Scorpion of a night time as I believe red isn't included in a Scorpions color spectrum.
Thanks for the advice. I'll go down the shop ASAP.

dogeatdog

Arachnopeon
Emperor Scorpions arent the most active scorpion species so you cant expect a lot out of them. My emp is a lazy hunter, she just waits for a cricket to pass by her hide.
Your temp and humidity seem right so theres no problem there...
If you have everything set up right you wont be seeing your emp for a while, it'll be in its hide...

RKG109

Arachnopeon
Emperor Scorpions arent the most active scorpion species so you cant expect a lot out of them. My emp is a lazy hunter, she just waits for a cricket to pass by her hide.
Your temp and humidity seem right so theres no problem there...
If you have everything set up right you wont be seeing your emp for a while, it'll be in its hide...
He's in his burrow at the moment but I'll buy the heat lamp ad see how it goes with that.

Where is the best place to position the lamp as I don't want a cooked scorpion?

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Place the lamp on one side of the tank. If it gets to hot, the scorp will move to the cooler side or burrow down to avoid the heat.

Pendergrass

Arachnopeon
when i got my emp she would sleep from about 3:00am to 10:00pm and then she would get up and wonder around the tank. she did that routine the 1st couple of nights. now shes lazy and wont come out unless im misting or feeding her. i think she lost her curiosty(spelling)

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
when i got my emp she would sleep from about 3:00am to 10:00pm and then she would get up and wonder around the tank. she did that routine the 1st couple of nights. now shes lazy and wont come out unless im misting or feeding her. i think she lost her curiosty(spelling)
Hehe this is very true. I've had mine for about 2 weeks now and i havent seen them in 3 days, they stay in their "burrow". It's more like a tunnel, lmao.

hail-mike

Arachnopeon
haha yeah mine does about the same. i'm lucky if she even comes out to explore anymore..

RKG109

Arachnopeon
I went to the pet shop but they didn't have any Infrared Heat Lamps at 50W or below. However, I was talking to the resident scorpion expert and he recommended a 40W Night Glow lamp instead. He said the Night Glow lamp is what they use at the pet shop for their scorpions and they're fine with it.

Should I buy the Night Glow lamp?