im thinking of getting a millipede

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
before i got my first t i was thyinking of getting a giant african black millipede (i think thats what its called, the petco i go to called it that anyway.) well, now that i got some herps and my g. rosea im thinking of buying a millipede again. so i have a few questions.

i was told they secrete a poison, how toxic is it?

how many millipedes can be kept in one enclosure?

and whats the best thing to feed a millipede?

thanks in advance for your help.

-K-TRAIN

kolomomma

Arachnopeon
millipede

I've had my GBA millipede for 3 years. The stuff they secrete won't hurt you unless you eat it or rub it in your eyes. In all the time "Malcolm" has been with us, he's never "oozed" anybody. Just handle gently and wash your hands afterwards. I feed him a variety of organic fruits and veggies, but he esp. likes cucumber. He also eats the leaf litter that I scatter in the cage. I also occasionally sprinkle some calcium supplement on the food, but it is debated whether this is necessary. Make sure the cage is secure too, they're good at escaping! This is a truly wonderful pet. My kids adore him. Elytra and Antenna has a great millipede book you could check out too. Good luck!

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
before i got my first t i was thyinking of getting a giant african black millipede (i think thats what its called, the petco i go to called it that anyway.) well, now that i got some herps and my g. rosea im thinking of buying a millipede again. so i have a few questions.

i was told they secrete a poison, how toxic is it?

how many millipedes can be kept in one enclosure?

and whats the best thing to feed a millipede?

thanks in advance for your help.

-K-TRAIN
not very , i hear that sometimes i can make your hands go tingly or something . it has a bad smell too. but not as bad as N. americanus
i have 5 in my tote. its like 14"X20"x6"
and they have been mating ...
best for them is leaving them in the wild but ... i use a peat substrate covered in hard wood leaves in various states od decomp and some rotten hard wood. also i feed some romain lettuce and cucumber and apple slices and tomatoe . the wet stuff i leave in a food dish and they dive in..