I'm stupid. Halp

hennibbale

Arachnosquire
So I tried to feed a mealworm (first time buying them) to my genic, that comes out to be in premolt.
The mealworm goes under the uninterested tarantula and while I tried to move my T gently touching it with a brush, it went Houdini.
I took out my T from the enclosure but I can't really find the mealworm in there.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I assume you didn't crush the head? If not, then it probably just got lost in the dirt. Sounds like you've already emptied it out, which is what I would have suggested. It'll be fine, just be sure to give it an open space to do its business. That is, don't cramp the enclosure too much. It'll find a good spot.

New substrate, check the hide, and you'll be good.

hennibbale

Arachnosquire
I assume you didn't crush the head? If not, then it probably just got lost in the dirt. Sounds like you've already emptied it out, which is what I would have suggested. It'll be fine, just be sure to give it an open space to do its business. That is, don't cramp the enclosure too much. It'll find a good spot.

New substrate, check the hide, and you'll be good.
I actually didn't empty it out, as I didn't have other substrate - I just read a thread of a guy whose T got eaten by a worm while it was molting and it got me kinda scared.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I actually didn't empty it out, as I didn't have other substrate - I just read a thread of a guy whose T got eaten by a worm while it was molting and it got me kinda scared.
I would, if I were you. The spider will adapt to a new environment, it's fine. Better for it to happen this way than while upside-down.

hennibbale

Arachnosquire
I would, if I were you. The spider will adapt to a new environment, it's fine. Better for it to happen this way than while upside-down.
I've already put everything back. :/
No traces of the worm.
After it molts I'll just put in new substrate.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
just dump it's enclosure into a large bowl and replace the substrate a little at a time until you find the worm. :)

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
I've already put everything back. :/
No traces of the worm.
After it molts I'll just put in new substrate.
Hey, you're the one that was worried it would eat your T while it was molting. Better safe than sorry (mourning an eaten pet).

14pokies

Arachnoprince
This is why I hate meal/ super worms as feeders.. There are so many better alternatives.. Crickets/roaches/ waxworms..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Not crickets.
Why not? They have worked for exotics keepers for the last 100 years.

I prefer dubia roaches myself but I still think crickets are great.. I don't know of any tarantula that will turn down a juicy cricket if it is hungry..

hennibbale

Arachnosquire
Why not? They have worked for exotics keepers for the last 100 years.

I prefer dubia roaches myself but I still think crickets are great.. I don't know of any tarantula that will turn down a juicy cricket if it is hungry..
They are noisy. Not long lived. They stink.

hennibbale

Arachnosquire
You're assuming I don't live in a place with 1 pet shop, that's far away too, that sells ~12 crickets for 5 dollars. lol

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I just think that you think its cute to have teency weensy cutsy wootsy hassles and problems over everything..

Keeping Ts is one of the easiest branches in the exotics hobby...